Confused about selecting a new food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Confused about selecting a new food

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    L. G

I have 3 pugs (6yrs old) & a pekingese(5 yrs old). The pugs have had a weight problem, mostly due to our mistake in allowing them to free feed as they wanted. Our vet convinced us to feed 1/2 cup 2x daily & treat them with green beans , carrots or apples. We have been doing this for 5 1/2 mo & they have lost weight and are doing great. They are on Natural Balance Fat Dogs. I’m concerned that perhaps the Natural Balance is not high enough quality, & I keep hearing of recalls & quality control since they were purchased by Delmonte.

I’ve been considering Orijen. My concern there is I read about the high protein content being dangerous. I also prefer a grain free food for them to avoid the problems that a diet with grains can cause.

Any advise would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

#42143 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve never used NB Fat Dogs but when we adopted an obese dog, we used Wellness Core Reduced fat food, with great success. Like you, I prefer grainfree foods, most of the time. That’s one reason I chose this food when I did. Good luck!

#42152 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I agree with Marie. One other food I would suggest is Annamaet Lean for weight loss. I’ll admit I’ve never used it, but have fed other Annamaet formulas and like them quite a lot. Annamaet and Wellness are two of my favorite companies, actually.

#42155 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I just picked up a bag of Nature’s Variety Instinct Healthy Weight. I loved the guaranteed analysis and the ingredients. The protein is great at 32%. I plan to rotate to this food for my Cavalier next.

#42158 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Betsy, I like the looks of NVI Healthy Weight, too. I do use the canned version already as a topper. I might eventually try that kibble.

#42194 Report Abuse
    L. G

Thank you everyone for your comments. I’ll begin checking into the brands you all suggested. It’s so nice to be able to get info from other pet parents that have the same love & concern for their furbabies as I do! I don’t mind spending $ on high nutrition premium foods, just want to make sure my $ is being spent on the healthiest & most natural food I can find. Thanks again & many blessings.

#42313 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Just wondering how everyone feels about Merrick?

#42322 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I have to say, I’ve never been a fan of Merrick. I bought a couple of bags last year and returned them, unopened, because others had been reporting lots of inconsistencies in the kibble shapes and sizes, as well as problems with outdoor and rancidity.

Yesterday, a man posted his experience with Whole Earth Farms, Merrick’s value line, on the review side. He purchased a bag of WEF GF Lamb & Beef, only to open it and discover a horrible odor. He returned the product after calling the company, whom he started advised him that there had been an ongoing problem with the specific formula he bought. Yet, they continue to sell it!

Personally, I don’t feel I can trust them. Others here have feed it successfully without incident.

#43827 Report Abuse
    CSollers

If the story related is true, how could you trust a manufacturer who would continue to sell a product after identifying issues with consistency of production

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.