šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James H

I’m trying to understand how to compare prices between brands (not between stores). What seems to be missing is a measure of cups per pound. For example, one brand may recommend 5 cups per day and another 4 cups for the same dog weight and age. If I could tell how many cups I get in a package, I’d be able to compare prices. This would also help with the shrinking package sizes (30 lb vs. 28 lb). Thanks!

#77260 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

If I remember correctly, 1 pound equals approximately 2 cups of kibble (dry weight)
    The recommended amounts to feed are merely a guide, through trial and error you will find what works for an individual dog.

For example, my 10 pound dog eats just a little bit less than my 20 pound dog.
    Metabolisms differ…just like with people. Start with the lowest recommended and see how that works…and if you are adding a topper, factor that in.

#77357 Report Abuse
    James H

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn’t entirely address my issue. I want to establish a cost-per-serving to allow a cost comparison between foods. If I start with the package recommendations for serving size, it would allow that. My dog may eat more or less than the recommendation, but the comparison will still be valid.

Here’s an example:
    Dog Food “A” costs $28 for 14 lbs and recommends a median serving of 4 cups.
    Dog Food “B” costs $25 for 14 lbs and recommends a median serving of 5 cups.

Which costs more? I don’t know, since I don’t know how many cups are in a pound. I actually did weigh two different foods and found a weight of 4 oz/cup for one and about 5 oz/cup for another.

If I apply these to the hypothetical foods above, I get:
    Food “A” has 14 servings/package or $2/serving
    Food “B” has about 9 servings/pkg or about $2.77/serving.
    Of course, if I switched my dog from A to B and continued to feed the same amount, my cost would still be higher than “A” ($2.32/serving), and the dog would probably lose weight.

#77358 Report Abuse
    Crystal J

I usually compare cost on a calorie base. I know how many calories I feed my dogs per day. Usually dog food manufacturers tell you the calories per some measurement of weight and calories per cup or can. From there you can figure out how many servings are in a bag and do cost per serving, or just stick to cost per a certain amount of calories.

#77364 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

If your dog eats about 1 cup of food per day, then a 14 pound bag of kibble should last about 28-30 days. Most people add something to the kibble to make it interesting, which means the kibble may last a few days longer.
    Often the recommendations on the bags are on the high side…..and calories, I don’t get that. Most calorie charts/estimates are inaccurate.
    I’d rather take a more casual approach.
    Depends on activity level, metabolism and the general health of the dog. Inclination to put on weight or lose weight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.