šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tina

My Cocker Spaniel has colitis so any food that she goes on must be easy on a dog’s stomach and good for digestion. She does well on chicken but definitely no beef. She is 9 years old with hip and joint issues along with cataracts in each eye and the kibble must be small because she had bad teeth. She also has had to go on Prescription Diet Dog Food and has previously been on Pro Plan, Hill’s Science Diet, Hill’s Ideal Balance and is mow on Nutro Natural Choice.

#43583 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Keep in mind Tina, that none of the Rx diets have any medication in them and are made of very low quality ingredients. Find out exactly why the vet wants the dog on it and you may find that a high quality limited ingredient food or home made is the best way to go.

#43588 Report Abuse
    Tina

She’s not on the Prescription Diet Dog Food now but she was on it when she was 2 years old because she had blood in her poop and digestion upsets. Her tummy makes lots of noise when she has eaten something bad.

#43629 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

I don’t know if it will work for you, but with 30 yrs in rescue I’ve found oatmeal to be my best option for tummy troubles. A little added to each meal can help balance digestion. Over the yrs I’ve used yogurt, pumpkin, sweet potato an all the rest but oatmeal seems to work best with a wide range of probs.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Kritterlady.
    #43632 Report Abuse
    Tina

We think the Colitis was caused by my father giving her pieces of chocolate throughout the day and I mean more then 3. My father would give her table scraps throughout the day as well.

#43674 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

When I first rescued Patch he was having the rumbling bowel & blood in his stools vet said he had Colitis & I had to cut back on the fat % Patch was put on the Eukanuba Intestinal it has only 10% fat & 1.75% fiber the Eukanuba has helped, we’ve had no more rumbling bowel only when I tried mince meat he was up early hours of the morning & I could hear him coming he sounded like a car engine rumbling & grumbling.. so now I boil chicken breast & add some pumkin for breakfast, I put the cooked chicken & pumkin in a blender & munch up as Patch gulps his food this way Ive digested the chicken a bit for him. I also cant give any treats that are liver jerky treats this gives him diarrhea & the rumbling tummy… Ive been slowly trying Holistic Select Senior Chicken meal this kibble has oatmeal rice & pumkin so far so good.. I add water just to soften the kibble a bit so if he gulps & swollows the kibble whole its softer, just make sure u look at the fat% & the least ingredients the better, pumkin & oatmeal are really good on the stomach & bowel also the Eukanuba is a Low residue kibble that breaks up easy so is the Holistic Select kibbles easier on their digestion…..Chocolate would be high in fat hard fats….Also the Holistic Select Senior is high in Gluosamine supports healthy hips & joints. http://www.holisticselect.com/senior-dry-dog-food-chicken-meal-and-rice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.