šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Susan

Wondering why citrus fruit such as oranges, mangos, and apples are good ingredients for dog kibble /canned? Is it the vitamin they really need? Wouldn’t too much cause an acid build up that can upset stomachs? Seems like more an expensive people pleasing filler.

#29357 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Dogs stomachs are naturally more acidic than ours and they have problems when their stomach is not acidid enough. Citrus isn’t nearly acidic enough, but it does have a particular set of antioxidants as well as vitamins. But depending on how the citrus is listed on the label, it may actually be waste from the juice industry and be nothing more than a source of fiber. BTW, mangoes and apples are not citrus, but are good in small amounts for the same reasons.

#29360 Report Abuse
    Susan

For sure, mangoes and apples not citrus, error on my part listing in same category. I guess my thoughts about acid intake in general is more accurate.
    So how should the listing for fruits on labels be to identify as good ingredients and not waste?

#29362 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It should be listed as whole fruit. Sometimes you’ll see it listed as pulp or pectin or some other part, but the best way to know is to call the company and ask very specific questions.

#29365 Report Abuse
    Susan

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.