đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LuvPoodles

My miniature poodle has always seemed to have a problem with dry food that has less than 10% fiber. He gets really constipated even though I soften his food with a bit a water. He started with Royal Canine when he was a puppy, then I changed him to Arcana Wild Prairie and his issue became obvious; that’s when I realized he had a problem with dry food that has low content of fiber. So I switched him to Nutro Natural Choice. He’s been doing pretty good on it for a couple of years now but I want to know if there’s a higher quality brand that can accommodate his needs. I just found Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Grain Free Easy to Digest and I think I’ll try that. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance

#34374 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Look at weight management kibbles they are always higher in fiber..

#34380 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can add in some pure canned pumpkin puree (1 tablespoon or so) to his meals to add fiber. If you can’t find pumpkin puree, you can also add 1 teaspoon of chia seed. If not that either, try adding around 1/2 teaspoon of ground psyllium to his meals. Also, foods like Grandma Lucy’s and The Honest Kitchen or Sojo’s tend to have more plant matter and alot of people will post that their dog’s stool is larger on this type of food. I’ve used all 3 and the dog’s stools will be a little bulkier. You can just add it as a kibble topper too and make as little or as much as you want since you reconstitute the amount you want with water.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by pugmomsandy.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.