Choices and dilemmas

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Choices and dilemmas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Harpers Mom

We have definitely had a rough weekend to say the least. Friday kiya, our 12 year old Bichon and gabby, our 3 year old spaniel mix had vet appointments. All went well with gabby, but kiya had blood work done to reveal she is lacking sufficient calcium and protein in her diet. Vet reccomends putting her on science diet senior and 1/4 Pepcid once a day. The science diet is a absolute no. She is currently on Fromm salmon a la veg. And I have never heard of using Pepcid for calcium defeiciency.

On top of the vet visit, aroun 1:45 this morning we awoke to yelping from kiya. Our oldest dog, Layla a corgi mix had attacked her. $700 vet bill later, kiya has stitches in both ears, her eyelid and cheek she is also missing 3 teeth. Layla is roughly 13 and the past 6 months has been quite aggressive. Talked to the vet about her agression and she said it has no apparent cause. Blood work done, no abnormalities. Other than being a little heavy Layla is perfectly healthy. I personally think she might be suffering from something brain wise. After discussions with the family, we have made the decision that it would be best to euthanize Layla for her well being and the other dogs. (She attacked my bully baby on Christmas causing $500 worth of damage). This is very hard for is. What would you do in the situation?

#34792 Report Abuse
    Sue’s Zoo

Very difficult situation. I don’t envy you. We actually had a similar one about 5 years ago. We had lost our GSDs but still had a little terrier mutt rescue. She was about 9 at the time and maybe 20 pounds. After quite a bit of discussion we drove from St. Louis to Austin, TX to pick up two GSDs from German Shepherd Rescue. We were careful getting the dogs together and all went well for about 6 months. Suddenly the female Shepherd, who was a little flaky anyway, though very sweet, suddenly attacked the little one. I managed to stop her as she was starting to shake Buffy by the back of her neck (like killing prey). ER for the little one. We kept Chelsey but spent 4 years keeping one or the other in a crate at all times. It was quite a struggle to make sure both had quality ‘family time’ until Buffy succumbed to old age last March. We now have two new pups but they’re Shiloh Shepherds so will be big dogs. Chelsey is great with the male but in the last few weeks she started showing some aggression towards the 5-month old female who is incredibly submissive towards her. I’m watching carefully and hoping we don’t end up in the same situation again.

So I feel your pain. I really wish I could tell you what I’d do but I just don’t feel that it’s a decision anyone can help you make that isn’t living in your home. Have you thought about re-homing to someone with no other pets?

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Sue's Zoo.
    #34795 Report Abuse
    Harpers Mom

We thought about rehoming after the December incident, talked to a corgi rescue who said they couldn’t help us, they even told us to put her down then. We have been doing the rotation of crate time and family time. Just very difficult because we have four dogs and she shows aggression toward all of them. At 13 we can’t find anyone who wants to take her. The whole situation is heart breaking and I feel so overwhelmed trying to make this decision.

#34804 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I really feel for you. I just finished reading dr. Dobbs thyroid book and she made hype comment of dogs with behavior problems as bad as ur dog and it was because their thyroid was so low. She went on to say that after a week or two on thyroid medications that their behavior disappeared. I don’t know what kind of test you have run but I would check her thyroid. Good luck

#34845 Report Abuse
    Molzy

Have you considered using a set of gates instead of the crate? I know people who have had success doing that with multi dog families.

We have had two major fights with our boys, but we were able to see the cause of each (overstimulation), and we were there to separate them before any major damage occurred. I still have trouble if they start to wrestle and im alone with them, as i get nervous. We keep high value toys away, they eat in their kennels, and aren’t left alone unattended. We are hoping we have stopped any additional issues since our boys are only 2 years old, so we have lots of time left.

Good luck with your decision, I know it’s tough.

#34963 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Layla is 13. I’d bet that it’s a “senior” issue or neuro. Unless you can take her to a neurologist, you just have to manage. She’s 13, you can’t rehome her. I personally don’t think, at her age, it’s fair to her. I doubt she can help this.

I’d keep her separate from your other dogs unless you’re right there to supervise. Use baby gates, crate or whatever is needed.

I hope things get easier.

#34966 Report Abuse
    Dori

I agree with Marie. I too believe it’s a neurological disorder. You should, though, have her thyroid levels checked just to rule that out. I once had a Tibetan Terrier, Tracy, that was as sweet a dog you could ever want, also at the same time a Maltese (she’s now 14 1/2 years old). They were best buddies, played together, slept together on our bed, loved each other. Then one day for no apparent reason whatsoever, and trust me, I’m very observant and a great detective when it comes to figuring out why my dogs do what they do and where and what they’re up to at all times, Tracy went after Hannah. Grabbed her, started shaking her and scared the crap (literally) out of Hannah. Hannah was unhurt thank God but at that point Hannah was terrified of her. She was very careful to take the long way around a room, behind furniture, etc. if she wanted to go anywhere. Tracy also was in wait trying to attack her. It was a horrifying situation for all of us, obviously, most of all for Hannah but I have to say that I always felt that poor Tracy seemed like she didn’t know what was coming over her and what was happening. Finally at the age of 10 she was diagnosed with Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (NCL). Common signs of NCL is the development of aggressiveness toward other dogs and sometimes eventually, but not always, people. She was diagnosed after seeking help from a neurologist. Tracy finally succumbed to liver cancer which I was later told could also have contributed to her developing aggressive behavior. NCL is a neurological disorder that is prevalent in some breeds. It breaks my heart to have to tell you that Corgi’s are one of those breeds. There is no cure. It is what it is. If you google the disorder in canines, there is a site that will give you the list of the breeds. I believe that you are dealing with NCL.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.