šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Shanna J

So my dog vomits if he eats any food or treats that contain chicken.
    It’s hard to find because most treats have chicken of some sort and you can buy a beef dry dog food but they still have chicken in them if you look at ingredients. I have fed him Castor & Pollux organic grain free salmon and the Costco brand of beef grain free food.
    I’m looking for recommendations for the best dry and/or wet dog food that completely chicken/poultry free. I don’t necessarily want a grain free food after the studies I’ve read lately.
    I have a Pomeranian who is about 13lbs and 8 years old.
    Suggestions please!

#144323 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Holistic Select sardine and anchovy formula is chicken and poultry free and it has grains in it, it is a very good food. It is made by Wellpet. They also have a lamb and grain in one. Look it up on chewy.com The other one is Merrick classic beef formula it has no chicken and it has grains. Annameat has a good one to it is called option it is in a purple bag. Purina Pro Plan has a lamb and oatmeal sensitive skin and stomach and a salmon and rice sensitive skin and stomach with no chicken or poultry in it. I have a dog that can’t have chicken too so I know. I have used Holistic Select and now I am using Purina Pro Plan. I have also used Annameat option but my dog did not like it. Merrick I couldn’t use because it was too rich for him. So these are the ones I have used because they are NOT grain free. I prefer grains. Good Luck.

#144325 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Just a reminder: Foods with grain are not automatically “safe” foods.

Check out this article written by a board-certified veterinarian nutritionist regarding the subject:

Itā€™s Not Just Grain-Free: An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy

#144330 Report Abuse
    joanne l

The reports on the FDA list is grain free diets. That is what I gather. When this DCM started the University’s were saying that “the dogs with DCM all had one thing in common, they all were eating grain free”. That is what I read and heard. The FDA did not say anything about grains, they did mention that grains never hurt a dog. I understand that nutritionist on board is better because they know how to formulate food. But I still will not trust grain free diets. I recommend people to just listen to the FDA for now. And the FDA states the brands and they are all grain free. I say this respectfully. Plus I am no way gonna support grain free diets at all. Even if DCM was not a problem I don’t like how they boost the protein with peas and legumes. These legumes have far more protein than grains. If anything people are paying a lot of money for grain free “high protein diets” When these companies are taking full advantage of using legumes for protein boosters. Not cool. They can’t do that with grains. Legumes have 3 times more protein than grains so companies are taking advantage and I will not support that at all.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by joanne l.
    #144477 Report Abuse
    joanne l

And from what I gather off of crazt4cats post is that exotic meats are a suspicion as well as bouquet foods, but the ones with exotic meats are also grain free and most bouquet brands are grain free, except for Fromm, but their grain in diets in the 4 star line also include peas and potatoes and such, so they are mixing grains with legumes. When I look for a grain in diet I don’t want to see peas included period. So you have to read the ingredients. The reason why I don’t like peas included in grain in diets is because that is their cheap protein booster that they sneak in there. If these companies do decide to change their recipes in the future I will bet they will include peas in it, because they know the protein will be higher and people will think “oh this is good it has more protein” but do not be fooled by that. Dogs do not thrive on this kind of protein.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by joanne l.
    #144491 Report Abuse
    phyllis v

FOOD THAT SAYS ‘SINGLE PROTEIN’ Will only have that ONE meat type in the food…. its a LIMITED Ingredient diet.

#144492 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Shanna all the foods I mentioned are pretty good they are not on the FDA list except for Merrick. I think you will like these foods. Let me know how you make out.

#145108 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant
    #145124 Report Abuse
    Shanna J

Thank you for all the advice everyone!
    Joanne, wouldn’t you know…I bought a bag of Merrick.
    Who knew dog food was so complicated, jeez.

#150533 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Sport Dog Elite Series and Active Series have several poultry free recipes.

https://www.sportdogfood.com/our-food

#150534 Report Abuse
    Nadia K
    Participant
    #159045 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Paw Tree has a couple poultry free recipes
    https://www.pawtree.com/pawtree/products/983

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.