🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gina
    Participant

I have two chiuhahuas and they are both on Nutro lamb and rice limited ingrediant food. Both have sensitive stomachs. I was wondering what dry food would be best for them and if I should be using wet food as well?

#26147 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Did they have a medical condition resulting in a sensitive stomach or have you come to a conclusion that they have a sensitive stomach and how so? What do they do? Do you give them probiotics? Have you always fed them rice? How long have they been on this food or a previous food? You’ll find that there are alot of canned foods to chose from that have limited ingredients and yes, you should use canned foods or freeze-dried or dehydrated foods (rehydrated of course) as all of those are better than kibble. There is no “best” food so pick a couple foods that they do well on. Apologies for all the questions, not trying to be rude. I just haven’t had a dog yet with a sensitive stomach and I have 3 of my own right now but I’ve had 205 fosters that I’ve never had to feed a special diet to. Just good old, regular, full fat, various proteins, various carbs, occasionally rice but I give them probiotics and digestive enzymes in the beginning and they do just fine after a few days. I have no idea what they were eating before (well, one did come with a bag of Kibbles & Bits!) they were rescued and then ate vet food for a few days or week or two until coming to my home. You might want to work on building up their “guts” and making them stronger and healthier with probiotics. Of course, that’s not the only thing that effects gut health, there’s other toxins and actual food ingredients that can damage the gut.

http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics-for-pets.html

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #26161 Report Abuse
    Gina
    Participant

I tried several brands of food and my male kept getting diarrhea until I put him on the lamb and rice limited ingredient food. I have tried other types of foods since then but he gets diarrhea and vomits. Maybe it is an allergy of some sort. Even treats that were sweet potato and chicken upset his stomach. They have both been on this food for a year. I have not tried probiotics but I will now. I will also start using canned food as well as kibble. Thank You

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.