CHEERIOS ALTERNATIVE ADVICE

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health CHEERIOS ALTERNATIVE ADVICE

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stefanie F

I feed a grain free Orijen dry dog food for the past 8 years and give table food bites here and there. (My bichon will go nuts for a cherry tomato, cucumber, brussels sprouts, egg, or cooked spinach. )

For breakfast he has 1/4 of a chobani fruit yogurt with a canine pro biotic powder mixed in. (He will not eat the plain)

Everything was fine until last Thanksgiving when he got into the trash and ate his fill of Turkey skin. He develops pancreatitis and for weeks was on meds and boiled hamburger and white rice. Along with IV’s daily to keep him hydrated.
    (No more Turkey on holidays at my house.)

After I got him well and back on his regular food (and that took well over a month transitioning back) he started to have 1 good normal poop in the morning and then a second gelatinous poop in the late afternoon. (he was always a 2 poop a day boy)

Told the vet she suggested adding some cheerios to his breakfast. I did and the problem was fixed.

Now my dilemma I just saw all the news and articles about the oat drying process and how they use RoundUp for it so most oat cereals and breakfast products have high amounts GLYPHOSATE in them and we know that causing cancer. The biggest offender on the list with very high amounts of GLYPHOSATE in it is cheerios.

Needless to say my baby will not be getting them any more with his yogurt.

Dose anyone have a suggestion what I can give him as a cheerio alternative that will be safe, and I do not mind cooking it myself as long as I can make it in bulk and freeze.

I take care of 3 elderly parents with a lot of health problems so I have to be able to through in a dish and run a lot of times.

Thank you for reading and any help any one can suggest.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Stefanie F.
    #138720 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Probably the easiest thing to do is to buy a certified organic non-GMO version of “cheerios”. You could google something like “organic versions of Cheerios”. They *should* have less pesticides than conventional cereals.

You could also add a little straight organic non-GMO oatmeal and skip the processed cereal, since dogs don’t really need sugar.

If this is a matter of fiber supplementation (and not something specific to oats), and you’re uneasy even about organic oats, you could try a different source of fiber. You could ask your vet what type of fiber your dog needs, how much, and look for something that supplies it.

Sometimes you get worse stool until you figure out the right balance of fibers and the quantities. . I’d Start with small amounts and slowly adjust.

These are just a few thoughts, hope it helps! Good luck.

#138737 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

If you think it is the fiber in the Cheerios that is helping, you could try adding a little plain canned pumpkin. But, you want to be careful not to add too many unbalanced things to your dog’s diet. Only 10 to 15% of calories should be unbalanced toppers and treats. You could be feeding a little too much too. That will sometimes cause loose stools.

Also, I believe Orijen is a very rich grain free diet. I’m surprised you would feed it to a dog with a tendency to have pancreatitis. In addition, have you seen the FDA warning about grain free boutique foods?

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/11/dcm-update/

Best wishes!

#138745 Report Abuse
    joanne l

How about oatmeal? don’t think you can freeze it though. I eat cheerios, geez what in the world would they put that in our cereal for.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by joanne l.
    #139127 Report Abuse
    Stefanie F

Joanna l and PR Lover
    Thank you for answering but oatmeal has the same GLYPHOSATE that cheerios has and the Non-GMO are just as high. They use it to dry the oats with so anything with OAT is bad right now even the non-GMO or organic (unless you grow it yourself) Anything with whole grains especially oats has the GLYPHOSATE in it. Cheerios seems to have one of the highest amounts but oatmeal is right behind it.

Crazy4cats
    Thank you for answering.
    First my dog dose not have a tendency to have pancreatitis. He had it the one time due to the turkey skin and ANY dog will get pancreatitis if they eat turkey skin that is just a fact of life. Turkey skin is deadly and kills dogs. I am lucky I caught him and got him treatment in time. Also Orijen is not a grain free boutique food. It is grain free and a top food. Most dog food are 90% grain and fillers and I learned my lesson well with feeding a cheap grain filled food and lost a dog very young to it who had problem after problem. That is why I chose a good quality grain free food for this dog.

One last thing you need to know about Tuffs they are funded by Colaget who owns Hill Science Diet so they recommend it and say everything else is junk. My cousin went to Vet school there before she switch field and they spend very little time on nutrition.

Oh and if you read more from the FDA they state.
    “It’s Not Just Grain-Free Diet-Associated With Dilated Cardiomyopathy”

After addressing the most common misconceptions, Dr. Freeman concludes, “for the vast majority of dogs, we do not yet know what is causing this disease.”

So until they do I am not going to not go with a good grain free diet.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Stefanie F.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.