šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kay S

Hello, I have been feeding my dogs (11 yr old Yorkie and 6 month Shipoo) Taste of the Wild food for a couple of months now. My yorkie as this cat pee smell (we don’t own cats). Even after bathing him it comes back within a day or less. I have researched the internet and it seems to come from foods with sweet potato as the second or third ingredient (which) the Sierra Mountain formula does. Just trying to see if anyone else has experienced this. My Shipoo is not having the issue.

#91404 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Urinary tract infection or kidney disease is usually the cause of very strong urine smells emitting from a pet’s skin/fur. It’s not from food. Time to run those tests at the vet.

#91742 Report Abuse
    Kay S

Just to update…… if anyone else experiences this. I switched my Yorkie’s food to another brand without sweet potato as the second ingredient and the smell went away. I searched the internet before posting here (finding this site) and read several other who experienced the same thing with the same result.

#91743 Report Abuse
    Kay S

It was the food.

#94314 Report Abuse
    Lisa M

I had a similar experience many years ago with a Westie that has since passed on. We tried a turkey and sweet potato kibble that gave her pee a horrible cat pee smell. I thought it was the turkey! Either way, when we switched back to a chicken based kibble – the smell went away.

#94342 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Good to know!
    I’ve had my mom’s dog here for several months while my mom recuperates from an injury. I discovered that her dog (a schnauzer mix rescue female) was leaking urine. My WHOLE HOUSE smelled like urine. It was horrible! I did some looking & found some pills from VetriScience that help with bladder muscles. Problem cleared up within a week. Urine leakage is common in older, spayed females.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.