🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Akari-
    I printed your Halo coupons and then went to their website to sign up for “newsletters”. I haven’t tried Vigor yet, but what the heck, a free can would be great. My question is, does Petco typically let you use more than one coupon at a time? Or will I have to make multiple trips to get more than one can using coupons?

#70374 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Just depends. You could always take a couple people with you, just in case. Make a day of it lol Some times the ones here will take a few at a time, some times they’ll only take one per person, per transaction.

#70379 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

LOL, take a few people with me! I don’t exactly have people lined up to go with me to all my pet food stops! 🙂 I actually feel like I have to hide all my stops from my friends and family so their thoughts that I may be obsessed with my dogs’ and cats’ food might be true!!!!!!

HeeHeeeHee!

#70395 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

LOL Mine are all used to it at this point. Mom’s come to at least accept my piles of dog food in the spare room, but still I can’t believe she even agreed to go for me the other day when I was sick! I feel your pain girl 😛

Oh, and IT’S HERE, IT’S HERE, IT’S HERE, IT’S HERE, IT’S HERE, IT’S HERE, IT’S HERE!!!!!!! My cat tree is here! Can’t wait to put it together 😀 Me and mom and gunna move stuff around in my room this weekend or next week :3

#71354 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Cat Friends-
    It’s been a while since anyone has posted. Here is an update: All four of my cats will eat the Halo Pates and stews. As Akari would say, “whoop woop.” Miss you, girl friend! I know that Halo doesn’t divulge their manufacturers, but it is a higher grade food that goes on sale regular on Pet Flow and my cats will ALL eat it! Of course they also all love Friskies and Fancy Feast. I am now feeding my urinary guy mostly regular canned food and just a littl of the Rx kibble. Tomorrow, my Rosie kitty, who is almost 16 and has hyperthyroidism is going in for a dental with most likely an extraction. I’m nervous for her to go under anesthesia, but vet said her blood panel came back pretty good. She would rather her take the risk than let her go with an infected tooth. Poor baby, I don’t think she has many left. Everyone, please keep their fingers and toes crossed for my Rosie Girl. She is super duper shy and I’m a little nervous. Again, miss you Akari. Please come back!

#71375 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Amy-
    I checked out your site, but it looks as though you are not selling the canned cat food. It is highly regarded on the Littlebigcat.com website. I’ve checked in to it and actually talked to Dr. Bicks per email after one of my cats had a urinary tract blockage. She in fact recommended for him to stay on the Rx canned for at least six months. It’s been six months now and was thinking about checking out your prices. Are you planning on ever carrying the canned food?

Good luck to you!

#71406 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4C:
    I didn’t realize your appointment was so soon! Positive thoughts coming your way for Rosie and your nerves. She is going to feel so much better. 🙂

Cat friends:
    I have some food updates I’ll be posting soon too. 😉

#71410 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Thanks for the positive thoughts, BDawg. I dropped her off this morning. They said they might be able to bond the tooth rather than pull it. The receptionist said that bonding a tooth is like putting a crown on a human tooth. Just great! LOL! I wonder how much that will cost? My feline family is getting a little pricey this year! Looking forward to your food updates. 🙂

#71413 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4C:
    You’re welcome!! 😉

Halo update, I just received an e-mail from Alex at Halo. Although Halo will not disclose their manufacturers, he did confirm they do not use Diamond or Evanger’s for the manufacturing of their foods; all manufacturing is within the U.S.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Bobby dog.
    #71415 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4C:
    BTW, if Rosie gets a “kitty crown,” be sure not to let her eat any pizza crust. That’s how I broke a crown one time. Of course, I am sure chewing ice, hard candy, un-popped pop corn kernels, and various other things you shouldn’t chomp down on didn’t help along the way!

#71416 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

BDawg- Do you like the new spelling? That’s in honor of the Washington Huskies! Anyway, that is good info regarding Halo. And…that must be some tough pizza crust to break your crown on!!! Maybe you need to stick to the pizza with the cheese stuffed crust! I’m sure it’s much better for you! 😀

#71417 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I like the new spelling!

It was pizza from the cafeteria where I used to work, not tough at all. That’s why I am sure all the abuse prior to it cracking was the problem!

Yes, I am happy with the Halo e-mail. Now I just need to contact Wal-Mart to follow up on the other Pure Balance manufacturers.

#71605 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I’ve noticed a couple of you use Friskies. I’ve always been under the belief that that food was of extremely poor quality. Can I ask why Friskies? If I’m wrong or if it hasn’t caused any problems for your cats it would be a great cheap option for me as I feed an all wet diet for my cat. ( just finally completely phased out the kibble so happy about that!)

#71607 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

pitlove, yes, Friskies does have some poor quality ingredients. (Tractor Supply’s 4health is extremely budget friendly. My cats love it, and no yucky stuff!) https://www.friskies.com/cat-food/wet-cat-food Ingredients for Classic Pate Chicken and Tuna Dinner- Meat by-products, poultry by-products, water sufficient for processing, chicken, liver, tuna, rice, artificial and natural flavors, added color, guar gum, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, carrageenan, salt, magnesium sulfate, taurine, choline chloride, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide. B-6050

#71608 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

some of us use Friskies as part of a rotation diet, just to help the budget a bit. If you look back to the first few pages of this thread, you’ll find discussions about some budget friendly foods, including a few varieties of Friskies, Authority, and 4health.

#71609 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Labs:
    4 Health is a decent food for cats, however mine don’t care for the brand. My one senior female will eat the GF Whitefish and Chicken dinner occasionally, but I really don’t like feeding a fish based food wet or dry too often. If I do, I prefer smaller species because they are likely to contain less contaminates. Wellness and Tiki cat have recipes that use either sardines or menhaden that I prefer.

pitlove:
    This is a long thread and you would have to have the time to read through our trials and tribulations of transitioning our cats to a more species appropriate diet. The regular posters on this thread have written about spending several years trying to transition to other foods. We mostly have dry food addicts; not a healthy form of food for kitties. My cats grew up eating grocery store foods and like what they like. They are 7, 10, 12, and two are 17 years old. It is very dangerous, even life threatening, for cats to go on hunger strikes. I for one am not willing to risk my cats life if it comes down to a hunger strike. So rather than dwelling on the negatives of Purina I keep my cats eating consistently for good health and keep searching for other foods to try. As far as Purina products go I have a list of a few recipes from different lines I feed that IMO have the least offensive ingredients for my cats. Some have little or no fish, none have glutens, most have no added colors, some no grains, all are under 11% carbs for UT health, and probably other things I have forgotten about. Since wet foods make up a majority of their diet any food I feed must be 12% DMB carbs or under for their UT health.

A quote from Dr. Pierson, DVM of catinfo.org:
    “…I would much rather see a cat eat any canned food versus any dry food – regardless of quality level of the canned or dry food. This includes Friskies, 9-Lives, Fancy Feast, etc., canned options.”

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

My cats have transitioned to about 3/4 of their diets being canned foods. Wet foods are the healthiest for cats. My cats have passed all wellness visits (blood work included) over the last several years and the couple that were chubby have lost the extra weight. Paying attention to the recipes regardless of the quality of the brand has made a significant difference in their health.

I feed them a variety of commercial raw, canned, and dry foods. I only have one cat that is not finicky so my dog gets any leftovers from a new food that does not go over well with them. If you would like my list of what I call my cats’ “grocery store foods” just post and I will be happy to share. I also have a list of premium foods wet/dry/commercial raw if you are interested. And, welcome to the Cat Rec thread. The cat lovers on DFA post here about any cat topic!

Here’s my favorite cat sites:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

Home

http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/
    http://www.felinecrf.org/
    The last site is for a specific feline health issue; I have found the site helpful in regards to foods to try.

#71610 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Jake’s Mom, how are you?

#71618 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Good, Bdog, how are you? We’re both busy outside now that the good weather is finally here, right? I was hoping you’d pop in, I knew you had a list of good less expensive foods. Jake is fine, just had a checkup and heartworm test. Cats are all good. Dustin, my 20yo is still hanging in there. Going to vet next week for checkup and bw to monitor his hyper-t.

#71619 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

C4C, how’s Rosie?

#71621 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I have 8 rescue cats and I use friskier canned mix with whatever kibble. I use Friskies because I need the large an and this is the only brand I can find them in.Anyone know of another brands that make the large cans.12 or 12.5 ozs

#71623 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Bdog- Thanks so much for sharing all the info. I have read through catinfo.org and I do agree with Dr. Pierson about wet vs dry (my cat is on all wet). My cat is my champion eater. She is not picky at all so thats not my problem. I have an odd work schedule and don’t have the time to feed all raw for both my dog and cat like I would love to, so for the kitty I do all wet to at least make an attempt at feeding her right. I change her canned food all the time. She’s eaten Merrick, Nutro, Nature’s Variety, Grandma Mae’s and I just got some clearance cans from PetSmart of Max Cat and Innova to tid her over til my shipment of Tiki Cat and Weruva come in for her. Just always looking for new brands to try her out on. I would love those lists if you want to share!

#71626 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Weezerweeks!
    I’m so glad all the kitties made it. That is quite an accomplishment. Are they free to come and go or are they enclosed? I’ve seen Wellness in large cans, but it is quite a bit more expensive. And, actually 4Health may also. It is a budget food, but only sold at Tractor Supply.

Hi pitlove-
    Thanks for checking out the cat thread! We needed some new input! I also use Friskies in my rotation due to having 4 kitty mouths, two large dogs and some humans thrown in there too. I like BDog, have a senior kitty that has a thyroid issue and has to eat or would have a serious health condition. She loves Friskies, Fancy Feast and Sheba. I also feed Nutro Max, Wellness and Halo canned foods as well at the current time. You never know when they decide they don’t like something, however. I try to use coupons whenever possible.

#71627 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh, another thing…I bought a couple cans of the new Whole Earth Farms canned food today. Has anyone else tried it? Hopefully it doesn’t end up going to the dogs. Lol! 😼

#71628 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

My little girl is only 7 months old and no health problems so I guess I have a lot less to worry about. I remember having my senior cat, but that was before I had a clue and he ate an all dry diet of probably bad food ( can’t remember what it was). The only food she has had stomach issues with was Nutro Natural Choice. The main ingredient that I noticed in all of them that she has never had was Pork Broth. Maybe the culprit? Other than that her poops stay good on any other canned food.

Edit: Just read your post about WEF. I tried it the minute we got them at work (Petco). I wasn’t that happy. The pate sticks to the top of the can and the “sauce” was completely hardened already. Could be a bad batch delivered to my work. Willing to try it again though.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 12 months ago by Pitlove.
    #71632 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Haha,I’m just got home from Petco! Sorry, I went to Petsmart first with some very good coupons. Then went to Petco for the rest of the stuff I “needed” that PS didn’t carry. Next week, I’ll hit a few feed stores for the other stuff my pets “need”. 😱

#71634 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey everybody!!!
    Just popping in real quick, good to hear from everybody!!!

pitlove:
    You’re welcome!

I am sooooo jealous of you, what’s it like not to have a finicky cat? I heard there were such creatures, but I began thinking it was just urban legend!!

The cats I have had throughout the years ate whatever I got at the grocery store or discount grocery outlet and it was mostly dry food. A few developed health problems that I feel a bad diet helped exacerbate. If I ever get another kitten or cat they will be started out right with wet food. Hopefully no dry, but I do understand the convenience factor. I have had allot of family emergencies over the past few years so I don’t know if I could rule out dry completely.

I will stop back later with my grocery store food list and others I have either tried or currently feed. I have to proof read the list to make sure I have it updated.

Jakes mom:
    Yes, the outdoors are calling!!! Unfortunately, this year my garden will be scaled way back due to a family member with health issues. I am not sure what time I will have to devote to the garden and I don’t want to plant a bunch of stuff only to have it over grow with weeds. Bobby has been at my side most of the time for yard work. He does get bored easily and slips away to hang out on the porch. I am sure I will catch him peeing in the garden at some point or finding a bunny nest! lol

My hyper-t kitty had the best wellness check-up he’s ever had a few months ago. My Vet was thrilled with his weight and the condition of his coat! He does eat the best out of all of them though, he’s the only one that will eat most anything.

weezerweeks:
    I’ll check out my list and see if any brands I feed or have tried come in larger cans. I get that whole budget thing.

C4C:
    Didn’t know WEF made cat food. I’ll have to check out the pet store I go to that sells it. I will always try a new food, you never know what they will eat.

#71637 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bdog, same with me, my hyper-t guy eats well. But I have created a monster! Bought some Primal freeze dried from Chewy. Now the brat won’t eat anything else! lol At least it’s easy to feed, just add warm water and stir. The other cats don’t care for it, so not too expensive just for him.
    Sorry to hear about your family health issues, you’ll be in my thoughts.

#71638 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

C4C- I just got back from PetSmart with my dog haha. Sometimes Petco doesn’t have everything I need or I can get it for cheaper somewhere else and thats even with my 20% discount at work!

Bdog- It’s awesome lol My cat who just passed away on Christmas Eve of last year was a picky eater and picky about his cat litter as well. He ended up with a UTI (probably from being on dry food) and stupidly (because I didn’t know any better) agreed with the vet to have him on Royal Canin’s Urinary SO Moderate Calorie dry food. He died at 5 years old. Now I don’t know if the food had anything to do with it (we have no idea why he died, seemed healthy, but he was overweight), but around the time we got our new kitten was the time I started looking into better food, mainly for my dog. The place I got my kitten from had her on Blue Buffalo dry, some kitten formula. She has only ever had that dry food and Nature’s Variety and when I started her on NV is when I found out she shouldn’t even be on dry at all. Switched her over to an all wet diet instantly. I got lucky that I found that info early in her life. I’m also lucky that she is a “teacup” as the vet called her and only weighs 5lbs at 7 mo so a 3oz can of wet fills her up. Tested that by giving her a second can one night that she barely touched. I completely understand your story as I lived it with all my other cats. After I lost Hugo this past Christmas I poured all my energy into my dog and vowed to give him a longer life than Hugo had. Hugo was my whole heart and I miss him greatly, but his death prompted a change in me to do better for my animals. So I thank him for that and all the joy he brought me.

oh and ya WEF makes cat food now! We just got their complete and full line in at work. The cans are .99$ at my work, but Petco is expensive. Though I doubt many other places are going to have it. Chewy.com doesn’t even carry it yet. I feed WEF canned in my rotation for my dog as well. Got lucky at the feed store I go to, they are going to stop selling WEF as it wasn’t a good seller for them and I got 22 cans for $1 each!

#71639 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks Jakes mom!! Such is life, right? You must keep moving forward.

That is so funny, my hyper-t kitty will eat Primal FD regularly too. Luckily for me, he still eats other foods! The other two most senior kitties will eat it once or twice a month; they are the kitty crack addicts and I don’t think that will change in their lifetime.

#71712 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Pitlove:
    Here’s my list of grocery store foods. There are other recipes in some lines that fall into my criteria; this list only includes food my cats will eat. All have ingredients I don’t like. None contain soy, wheat, or corn, some contain fish, but are not fish based recipes, and if starches are included most are either rice or potato. Most carbs are 12% and under DMB some are a little over; %’s are in parenthesis using info from the company’s site.

Fancy Feast – Turkey and Giblets Feast Classic GF, no fish (7), Tender Liver & Chicken Feast Classic GF, no fish (7), Tender Beef & Liver Feast GF, no fish (7)

Pro Plan line:
    True Nature – Chic & Liver Entree Classic GF, no fish (2)
    Savor – Beef & Carrots Entrée Classic GF (10), Chic & Spinach Entrée Classic GF (10), Turkey & Veg Entrée Classic GF (10)
    Focus – Chic & Beef Entrée Classic GF (5), Kitten Chic & Liver Entrée Classic (2)

Friskies – Poultry Platter (11), Special Diet Classic Pate’ Turkey & Giblets Dinner no fish (9), Special Diet Classic Pate’ Beef & Chic no fish (8), Classic Pate’ Turkey & Giblets (14)

Beyond – Chic & Sweet Potato Pate’ GF (11) and Chicken & Brown Rice pate’ (10)

Sheba – Turkey Pate’ (7), Chic & Liver (7), all Sheba recipes are grain free and fish is only in the recipes with seafood in the title.

Iams – chicken (13), chicken & liver (13), beef (14) pates’

Purina One – Classic Turkey GF, no fish (7), Classic Chic GF (7), Classic Beef GF (7)

My seniors have not taken to a rotational diet, they are 17 and like what they like. I am always on the lookout for new foods to try. My current rotation includes a few Wellness CH recipes, Innova cat & kitten, CSCLS, Cali Nat’l, BB kitten pate’, Grandma Mae’s, Nutrisource, Triumph turkey, Weruva Marbella Paella or CITK Fowl Bowl & Chic Frisk a’ Zee, Tiki Cat sardine or shredded chicken recipes, and my senior female likes Pure Balance GF Chic & Turkey. A few times a month the seniors will also eat NV raw chic or beef medallions, Primal FD Turkey, and Stella & Chewy FD Chicken Dinner, but they all still demand their kitty crack.

I contacted Purina and asked what types of meat they source and if they use any 4D or 3D meats in any products. Here’s their reply:

“Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry. Our Company is extremely committed to food safety and quality control. Keep in mind that our products are formulated by professional pet nutritionists and veterinarians and are produced under strict quality standards. To learn how we ensure this quality, please visit: https://help.purina.com/answers/how-does-purina-ensure-the-quality-of-its-products.

Purina only uses high quality meats. Nestlé Purina PetCare Company purchases its meat from suppliers who process meat for human consumption under the supervision of a U.S.D.A. inspector. All meat used in our pet foods comes from facilities certified by the U.S.D.A. where the animals are inspected by a U.S.D.A. inspector. These suppliers are carefully selected by Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, which provides detailed ingredient specifications to those suppliers to help ensure the integrity of the meat it purchases. We do not utilize dead, downed, disabled & diseased meats in our products.

We hope that this information is helpful and that you will contact us again should you have additional questions.

Again, thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.”

Regardless of their reply I would never risk their health by only offering foods they won’t eat, however this reply was a bit of a relief for me.

weezerweeks:
    I checked my cat food list. The only brands that I have fed that come in larger cans are Friskies, 4Health (Tractor Supply Co. & Del’s Feed house brand), Wellness, EVO, and Innova. FYI, Fromm’s canned dog foods contain taurine. I have not fed it to my cats, but I used to feed NV canned dog foods to my cats before they reformulated it and took taurine out. At least I think it was NV, it was before I kept a cat food list. 😉

#71715 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Bdog- Thanks for the list and the email notice from Purina. I would feel completely comfortable with a lot of these foods if they didn’t contain meat and poultry by-products. Everytime I see those words I literally can’t get past it and can’t bring myself to buy it. But then there is always that problem of money. Feeding an all canned diet to my cat and doing canned and kibble for my dog and trying to give them good quality food is killing my wallet. She has a much better stomach than my dog does, but I still don’t know how to get past the by-products. How have your cats medical history been eating those foods? I know that Dr.Pierson says by-products aren’t all bad because a cat WOULD eat them in the wild, and it does make me feel a little better reading that email from Purina, but do you think they legally HAVE to be honest about that to a random consumer?

#71716 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

pitlove:
    You have to do what you feel comfortable with, they are your pets and in your care.

As I wrote in a previous post, “My cats have passed all wellness visits (blood work included) over the last several years and the couple that were chubby have lost the extra weight. Paying attention to the recipes regardless of the quality of the brand has made a significant difference in their health.” I can’t say that was the case before I started providing a better diet.

I have a cat that has been diagnosed with a hyper thyroid about five years ago. I believe the terrible food I fed him helped contribute to his condition. In order to renew his Rx each year blood work is required. Over the last year he gained a pound which he needed and his coat has filled in beautifully. He had bald spots due to dry skin and he used to be almost bald due to scratching his face so much, it was terrible. He still has some dry spots on his back, but nothing like he had two or even one year ago.

I contact companies all the time. I only do so in writing; my professional experience has taught me to get things in writing. I don’t know what the legalities are for any company for any product in regards to honesty when responding to consumer questions. I have found from professional and personal experience that most people are not willing to put things in writing that can come back and haunt them.

I have no issue with by-products, homemade raw diets contain them. I would rather have named meat sources too; as I wrote, they all contain ingredients I don’t like. But, it is what it is for me and my kitties.

Edit: Last year was the first year I did not have to use any sort of flea or tick protection for them. I live in an area that is humid in the summer. They are outdoor cats and are brushed daily to check for parasites. I hope to do the same this year, no topicals. Hopefully, their immune system is as healthy as it was last summer.

#71718 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

bdog- i appreciate what you said a lot. and i really hope you didnt take my inquiry into the health of your cats as an implication that you are feeding them wrong. that was not my intention!

i agree with you 100% about by-products, they are in a raw diet which i would feel comfortable feeding my kitty and puppy if i had the time and better resources. like you i hate the anonymous meats as well. i was thinking about only using those products if it is an extra hard month money wise and i can’t afford an expensive food for her. they sell grandma mae’s near my work for .95$ a can and 4health GF is .69$ at the Tractor Supply near my house so those are also cheap options for me.

I also live in a state that is very humid in the summers and I haven’t had problems with fleas on my AmStaff yet. My kitties have always been indoor only. I used to live in a city and in an apartment so i didnt ever have an option to let them outside so i just grew up having indoor cats. my kitten right now is indoor as well, though i take her on her harnass in the yard and let her walk around sometimes. despite living in a feral colony for the first few months of her live on a college campus she does not seem to enjoy being outside lol. i’ve taken her on walks with us when we walk our AmStaff and she just cried the whole time and clung to me. poor girl.

#71719 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

pitlove:
    You’re welcome, I didn’t take your questions that way at all!

I just don’t like for anyone to feel that my choices are best for them. I like sharing my experiences with pet food, just don’t want someone to feel that’s the only direction to take. I believe the most important thing is thinking outside of the box rather than following trends, doing the best within your means, and keeping your pet’s healthy.

4Health is a good option IMO. I wish my cats liked it. I feed a few of their stews and the senior canned recipes to my dog.

#71720 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

bdog- i completely understand what you mean. i dont think any of the regulars here or even people like me who havent been on this forum for too long, but visit it everyday would assume that you are telling any of us that how you feed is the only way to feed. i came to this thread to look for some budget but healthy options for canned food for my cat and its been very helpful! the point of this thread has been well maintained

#71721 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I agree, I think it is a helpful thread too. It’s helped me quite a bit. We have Akari to thank for starting it! 😉

#71722 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Jake’s Mom-
    Nice to hear from you again! I’m sorry, I didn’t see your question about Rosie. Thanks for asking. Rosie did great! My 16 year-old hyper-t kitty is a tough old broad! I was all set up to nurse her in her own room for a few days and she wanted nothing to do with that. She darted out of her carrier, hid for a bit and then out she came, ate and acted like nothing happened. They pulled two of her teeth. No kitty crowns. I guess she still has plenty teeth left. I didn’t realize how many cats have. It was very expensive, but I guess it was for the best.

BDawg-
    Thanks so much for all the information. I hadn’t seen “the list” for a while. The Purina statement makes me feel much better about feeding several of their canned foods in our rotation.

Pitlove-
    I agree with the BDawg, only feed what you are comfortable feeding. I’d rather only feed named meats as well, but with so many mouths to feed, I have to throw in a few of the cheaper brands as well. I go through at least 4 cans a day just for my cats. You are smart feeding your kitty mostly or all canned. I think that my hyper-thyroid cat ended up with this condition due to the fact that I fed her mostly seafood canned for most of her life. I’d buy the big value pack of it at Costco thinking they were really getting a great treat along with their kibble. She is on medication for it and other than that, she is in terrific condition. She is as soft as silk and shows no sign of arthritis, eye or ear problems. She stays inside all the time now. She also was a feral stray when I trapped her years ago. Good luck with your fur family!

#71723 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi cat lovers:
    I have some food reviews for you. I tried Canidae Life Stages canned foods. I believe these are new recipes, or it’s also possible I just never noticed them. I was surprised at the price, 50 cents for the grain inclusive 3 oz cans. The GF recipes were around $1. I tried the Turkey and the Lamb grain inclusive entree’s. The food is a small chunk style and very hearty. Even though it’s in gravy it holds it form. None of my cats liked it. It is the type of food that smells like human food, like it’s seasoned. My cats don’t seem to care for those types of recipes.

I gave Halo a try again. Although they would not disclose their manufacturers I was comfortable giving them a try after they confirmed they do not use Evanger’s or Diamond. I picked up the Vigor Turkey & Quail pate’ canned food. I didn’t have much hope for it because my cats seem to be pretty much chicken, turkey, or beef eating kind of cats. I fed a small serving to my very picky senior male. He gobbled it up. I ended up feeding the rest of the 5.5 oz. can to him. He finished every morsel. He will barely eat 2 oz./ per meal. I know at least one cat likes it anyway. I am going to give the other flavors a try.

Finally, for my crunchy addicts, I tried I and Love and You Poultry a Plenty. My grocery store started carrying their products, that makes it real convenient. The cats loved it; adding it to my rotation. The carbs are fairly low, 18% DMB. The company would not disclose their manufacturers either, but confirmed they do not use Evanger’s or Diamond.

#71725 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4C:
    The list has probably changed since the last time I posted it. I added a few more recipes and took some off the list because my female was not eating well. I couldn’t find anything she would eat. The PP Savor recipes have fish; when all else fails, fish to the rescue. 🙁 Adding the Friskies SD and PP Savor recipes to her rotation restored her appetite. 🙂

#71731 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

C4C so glad Rosie did well. So nerve racking, isn’t it? I’m taking my old guy in for a checkup and bw for his thyroid on Tuesday. He will not be a happy boy, hates the car ride, poor guy. Gets carsick if he rides too long. Actually had to change vets when I moved a couple of years ago because of that. Imagine arriving at the vet with a carrier full of longhaired cat, pee, poop, and vomit! Fun times, lol!
    Bobbydog, thanks for the new food suggestions. I’ll be cat food shopping this week and will see what I can find. My guys like the pate style best, chunky style always means vegies left in the bowl.

#71733 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi j m:
    The Canidae I tried doesn’t have any veggie pieces in case you want to give it a go. My cats do the same thing with the peas, carrots, and whatever other veggies they come across. I just give them to Bobby.

#71735 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Jakes Mom-
    I don’t have to imagine it, unfortunately, I’ve lived it. My previous kitty, Sassy Girl, was just like that. We would be barely to the end of the driveway and I could already start to smell the awful mess we were going to have when we arrived at the vet. I honestly feel guilty to this day that I didn’t always get her all the vet care that she needed because the ride was so terrible. She was my first cat that showed up at my house and she lived to 18. I guess that is not too bad for not having a clue about cats! At least she was a short hair!

Regarding thyroid, I thought that I would share that I am now using the gel that you rub in the ear for Rosie. She quit taking her pill with her food when I switched vets and they used a different generic brand. Anyway the topical gel is working out very well. I have to go to a special pharmacy to pick it up and it’s a bit more expensive, but it is working out very well in case that is an option for you or anyone reading this. Again, thanks for asking!

#71736 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

I bought some Sojo’s cat food and it’s full of vegies so now Jake’s eating the rest of that bag. IMO the chunks were way too big, I don’t know any cat that will eat a big piece of veg, it would have to be very finely diced for my guys to eat it. Anyway, Jake’s happy, at least it’s not going to waste. Seems I say that a lot about cat foods.
    C4C, I don’t know anything about the gel. Interesting! Dustin is a very good pill taker, luckily. Even comes when I call him to “come get your meds”. I know what you mean about the guilt about vet care, too. We just do the best we can for them. Seems like we’re doing pretty well considering their ages!

#71788 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi all:
    Purina is rolling out another line for kitties:
    https://www.musecatfood.com/

#71789 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I saw that at Petsmart when i was getting litter last, so it’s out, but i hadn’t seen the website yet.

On another note- Bdog you mentioned trying the pure balance tubs a while ago. Well, i finally was over near walmart so i ran in and got a few. Unfortunately the first one i opened was the salmon, and I didn’t read the tub to see it was pate style. That didn’t go well. Tomorrow I’ll try another

#71808 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

AGT:
    That’s too bad. My Wal-Mart only has three (?) of the recipes. I haven’t bought any lately. They don’t like the chic pate’ and I bought the GF Turkey & Chic w/sauce by mistake that I recommended to you. My cats never like gravies or diced recipes of any kind. So I was bummed when I opened that and here my senior girl ended up loving it. I hope the other tub works out for you. Finding food they will eat is ridiculous.

The Muse just looks like the Beyond line except it includes toppers and broths. I guess that will be their “natural” line for pet stores and the Beyond will be sold in grocery stores.

#71831 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I guess Muse doesn’t look terrible?

#71832 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

It looks very similar to the Beyond line to me. I wonder what the price is. They look like they are more fish based and it looks like each recipe contains fish too. Doesn’t look like they use byproducts in this line either.

I am going to check them out, more options are always good, but it looks like it’s only available at Petsmart right now. I buy from them online, not in store and they don’t sell canned food online.

#71833 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

pitlove:
    Did you ever check out Pure Balance at Wal-Mart?

#71838 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

BDawg-
    If I remember correctly, the old list doesn’t have Iams on it? Coincidentally, i have been buying a few cans of Iams here and there lately. My cats will USUALLY eat it. It’s not a bad price either. And, btw, I am going to start calling you Aimee, jr., you tend to be mentioning a lot of Purina foods lately, Hmmm? LOL! I confess, my crew does share at least one can of Friskies or Fancy Feast every morning. Also, since most of mine, except my senior are getting chubby so I have been feeding less. They beg for more, but I’m staying strong. However, what I have found is they are being a little less picky when they are hungry. Fancy that, LOL!

All-
    Regarding stews, mine will eat the carrots, but not the peas. Except for my picky sr. kitty, will go to every bowl and suck the peas right up! It’s the funniest thing. It’s the little things in life that amuse me now! I still think most stews are a bit of a rip off though. They are way too expensive to be full of veggies (fillers) and water rather than meat!

Viewing 50 posts - 1,301 through 1,350 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.