🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1,101 through 1,150 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Shoot, BDog, I pasted the wrong table. My bad! Here is the US table. Good catch!
    http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm.

#58541 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Says “Service Unavailable”?

#58543 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Akari-
    If you are talking about the link that I just posted, I just clicked on it and it worked for me. Weird?

#58544 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Huh. It’s working now. Weird lol

#58545 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks C4c, I didn’t see she had US labels posted when I checked out this site before. Awsome, thank you!!!! 😉

#58547 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

You’re welcome! Here is a new recall for cat and ferret food:http://truthaboutpetfood.com/natura-pet-recalls-5-lots-of-dry-cat-and-dry-ferret-food/

#58548 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

UUUUUGH! Natura gets bought out again, and the recalls start again. Another food good down the drain.

#58554 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

You guys saw the recall on EVO cat and ferret food, right?

Natura Pet Recalls 5 Lots of Dry Cat and Dry Ferret Food

#58556 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

C4C beat you to it 😉 You even posted the same link that she did lol

#58557 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Doh! I totally overlooked that.

#58561 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

That’s OK, I’m touched you thought of us crazy cat people!

#58588 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I found a 5lb bag of Nature’s Recipe chicken grain free indoor dry cat food at Big Lots today for $4. The packaging was perfect and it’s not near expiration. There was only one bag or I would have bought more then one. I gave it to a friend that usually feeds a grocery store brand..wet and dry at least. I was happy I thought it was a great find.

#58590 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Wow! How’d you manage that?? I wonder if the Big Lots here has it…. lol They have a $5 off coupon out right now!

#58591 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I almost feel like it was a mistake but who knows. Big Lots doesn’t accept coupons because they’re like a Mardens they buy out things that companies are liquidating

#58596 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Makes sence. I don’t really shop there much, because it’s in the Land of Old People (Who Can’t Drive Worth a Crap) and it takes about 40 minutes to get there this time of year lol

Have you cat people seen the Black Friday PetSmart add!!?? $7.99 for the 37 pound Tidy Cats buckets!!!!! I also have a couple $1 off one Tidy Cats 14 lb or larger coupons laying around >=3

#58615 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Akari-
    I’m not going to ask you what age you consider old. LOL! Our Big Lots closed a couple of years ago. I wouldn’t have thought about going there for pet food though. That was a great deal!
    That also is a good deal for litter. Even a little cheaper than Costco. Unfortunately, I have to be at work 6am Friday morning. No Black Friday for me. I most likely wouldn’t partake in that craziness with you “young” people anyway!

#58624 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

LOL!! I think Akari is talking about St Pete. It is 95% retirement communities(You know, no one under 55 is even allowed to live there) and 5% community college students. The retired people know they own the town, so if they want to park smack in the middle of the road and get out and stand in the road and talk, that’s what they do. They drive 10mph under the speed limit and think it’s scary fast, so they have to slow down and take a breather. I don’t care how old you are, if you can still drive like a normal person, you don’t qualify(My dad is 85 and he is definitely not from geezer town). And I have known several younger people that I thought should have moved to St. Pete. I lived there for a couple years. I couldn’t hack it.

#58627 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m talking about Venice, girl! But St Pete is terrible, too! I don’t miss driving up there for school this semester LOL

#58629 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Ah, Venice, 99% retirement community, 1% beach bum. Though, to add to the pot, this time of year, there will be a number of snowbirds that can’t handle driving on flat straight roads. That I never did understand.

#58631 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

LOL

My grandparents lived in Port Charlotte (they retired down there from the northeast of course lol)
    I think that’s near Venice if I remember correctly.
    I remember always remarking about how flat everything is and how all the roads are flat and straight. And that there were a lot of old people and a lot of strip malls and a lot of bugs. It’s beautiful but I don’t do hot and humid well. I’m sitting here looking out my back window at our first snowstorm of the year trying to eat a late lunch and my cats are trying to crawl all over me. The snow is always pretty at first but by February I am cursing myself for moving out of coastal SoCal and by the summer I remember again how much I love it here.

#58632 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Big Lots is very hit or miss. There are things they always have like 3lb bags of Whiskas and Alley Cat that they sell for $4 regularly and big cans of 9 lives for 85 cents that aren’t bargains. But then they do buy outs and get different things in. I was in the cat food section because I knew they did a nutro buy out and had 3lb bags of Max Cat weight control and Natural Choice indoor white fish for $4 each because I had seen them there on Sunday and I was going to pick up one of those. I don’t know where the nature’s recipe came from they only had one bag and I kinda think the $4 may have been a mistake. .they had 5lb bags of iams next to it for $7 but that’s the kinda thing that happens at Big Lots.

#58690 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I live right inbetween Venice and Port Charlotte! Port. Port Charlotte is getting bad, too, unfortunately. Stupid snow birds need to stay home and just mail us their money LOL My friend and I have this “Florida in a Box” idea that were working on for them…. Even comes complete with collectable sharks LOL

You’re only old (or extremely stupid, if you don’t the years going for you) if you can’t see over the steering wheel anymore and/or are so dysfunctional that you have to drive 10 under the speed limit in the fast lane and forget what functioning is. If you can still hot-wheel it and not start breaking 4 miles before your turn lane is even in sight, it’s all good! LOL

#58750 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!! I am truly grateful to have this community to discuss all things pet nutrition and to have ‘met’ such a great group of pet lovers. I love DFA, and especially our little cat food thread! Hoping you have a blessed day.

#59144 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Well I’m late to see this, but hope you had a good Thanksgiving, girly!

Just stopping in here to let you guys know I bought a TON of those new Wellness Duo’s (none of the fish ones, naturally) and Kitty loves them! Eats a whole can in about 30 seconds flat lol I’ve also got my sample of Wild Kitty Cat Food that I have to get some ground meat to try him on. I was going to buy a whole can of Oasis+ Feline and put him on raw, but I just don’t think I could afford it, even with cheap meats like chicken thighs and what-nots. I also don’t think the freezer can hold much more animal food, much less human food LOL I can’t even buy my favorite frozen pizzas that are BOGO this week because the poor thing is so tiny and already packed full of Bentley’s food!

Oh! And I’ve also cut him back from two 5.5 oz cans a day to a 3 oz can for breakfast and a 5.5 oz can for dinner. He was 13+ pounds at the vet when we went that last time! Fatty… LOL Which is pretty bad for me because I’m all about proper portion sizes for the critters. He’s very hard to judge, though! His fur stands straight out and hides any curves he’s got, so I can’t really tell if he’s a good weight or not until I apparently take him to the vet for a UTI and he weighs almost 4 pounds more than when I got him in March LOL *rolls eyes* But he’s back down to what I think looks like a good weight now. I’ll have to weigh him and see what he’s at right now.

#59145 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Happy Thanksgiving Sharon!! 😉 I missed your message too, I haven’t checked the e-mail I use for DFA in quite a few days.

My cats didn’t like the Duos. Can’t wait to hear how Wild Kitty goes. Someone stopped by a while ago and wrote they use it or had used it, can’t remember. I posted back to them and asked how they liked it, but they never posted again.

If you want to feed raw that is something people sometimes forget about, it takes up some space in the freezer. lol I only feed frozen commercial raw and have some various meats for the dog and cats and it takes up the bottom shelf of my freezer. lol That’s a tough choice to make, I love frozen pizza too.

#59155 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Happy belated Thanksgiving all! I need to cut back on how much I feed all my pets too. Five out of 6 are a little chubby. My Hyper dog, Buhner, is the only skinny one, and I feed him the most. Must be nice. Lol! I just bought 3 frozen pizzas at Winco tonite. We love them too! I’m real interested in how the wild kitty goes too. I bought a small bag of frozen Nature’s Variety raw for the cats but haven’t tried it yet. (Yes, with a coupon) I guess I’m worried they won’t eat it. Casper is still doing well on his vet food and anti-anxiety meds. Take care all.

#59156 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey C4c:
    The best part about frozen raw for the cats is if it doesn’t go well with the kitties, your dogs can take care of your problem. lol

Glad Casper is still doing well! 🙂

#59176 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Yep, that’s what I ended up doing with my NV frozen kitty food, it became a topper for Jake’s food. Cats not interested in frozen raw, but a couple love fresh.

#59182 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh yes, I had that in the back of my mind when I bought it! I had two coupons, one for cat and one for dog. The guy at the store actually tried to stop me from using both because it said one coupon per customer. He proceeded to highlight the statement on one of the coupons for me. Then, I explained that they were two different coupons. One coupon stated for cat and one for dog and he apologized and accepted them both. LOL! That story was for Akari! Anyway, I figured I might be using it for my dogs anyway. I get a little frustrated and impatient when my cats won’t eat something, so I haven’t tried it out yet!

#59395 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

let me know how your guys like raw! I gave Kitty the tail off Bentleys turkey last week, and he loved it. Wasn’t quite sure what to do with it at first, because he’s used to just licking his food up, but once he remembered what his teeth were for, he went to town on that thing lol I think I’m going to suck up the price and buy him some ground chicken for the Wild Kitty sample. It’s like $5 for a pound though! I might just be cheap and get ground pork. He likes country ribs lol

So I got two of the new Saucations on Black Friday for $0.39 cents or whatever they were a can at PetSmart because I had a bogo coupon. I’ll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/CBC9307F-0C33-45F4-ACDE-E90A8A22A01F_zpsuqskics6.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/6AB53347-7322-425C-89E0-016ED1D1C627_zps9d8k9hqf.jpg

Why do people think this ok???? Of course, the little turd likes it. But he eats from the garbage can, too, so I’m not sure how much that says LOL

#59398 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yuck! That would make my senior kitty barf for sure! She’d probably like it though.

#59399 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Yeah those always looked extremely disgusting based on yhe can. That would definitely be hurled all over my apartment. I got one of the authority tubs chicken pot pie I think and that had a creamy gravy that got puked everywhere. If I knew it would look like that I wouldn’t have fed it even though it was free. The worst are the friskies rise and shine ones though. Disgusting. I had some coupons brought them into the cat shelter I worked at and the cats didn’t eat them. Can’t blame them. Some cats prefer shreds and gravy but the majority prefer a nice juicy pate all mashed up so when donating I keep that in mind now. Friskies makes two shreds and gravy that seem pretty popular. .chicken and salmon and also chicken. But most things with larger chunks they just lick the gravy and leave the dried out soilent green chunks on the trauma

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by arwyru24.
    #59401 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

On the tray not the trauma. Lol. Thank you phone autocorrect. Lol.

The rise and shine ones or anything with “cheesey” gravy the cats often don’t even wanna lick the gravy. 9 Lives tender slices are the worst as far as disgusting looking soilent green chunks that don’t get eaten especially the beef ones because they are these disgusting looking unnaturally brown squares and those look like they’re similar. Yuck. 9 Lives pates though. ..they make a 12 pack with chicken dinner, super supper, and chicken and tuna pate varieties that sells for about $4.60 and that is a big winner at shelters if anyone is looking for a good yet inexpensive holiday donation item. I just picked one up for that purpose. They may be all gross by product but they also have almost no carb. And hungry cats love them.

#59403 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

That is so gross. If my cats ate that at least two of them would be vomiting. I tried the Rise and Shines when they first came out and three of them vomited after eating that. The others didn’t even want to eat it.

I have tried a few different kibbles over the last few months and found three that all of my cats absolutely love. By far their favorite is Precise Naturals – GF Feline Chicken Meal Formula. The three finicky kitties really chow down on it. The next two really surprised me, but they loved them too, Natures Variety Instinct LID GF Turkey and Nature’s Variety Instinct Healthy Weight GF Chicken. The NV healthy weight is going to come in handy this winter when they become huge couch potatoes.

I always buy either BJ’s or TSC’s unscented clumping litter. Over the summer Pet Supplies Plus sent me a coupon for a 40 lbs. box of clumping litter for $5. I just filled my litter box with it and it is the dustiest litter I ever used. It clumps very well, but it is dusty just scooping it out. I ended up moving that box to their outside area so they don’t have to deal with the dust.

#59404 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

That’s funny, I tried the Rise and Shine junk also. I saw it had egg in it and thought it would be good for them. No way, either they didn’t eat it, or ate and threw up! lol! So, BDog, you recommend the TSC’s litter? I should stop by Del’s to see if they carry it. We have two varieties at Costco and one is a little too dusty and one is a little too perfumey. Haven’t been able to find the perfect affordable litter yet. I can’t change anything up too much though. I can’t stress out my “crystals” kitty. :/

#59405 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I am a loyal customer of both BJ’s and TSC’s clumping litters. The PSS litter has reminded me why I don’t buy any other brand. lol I very rarely try new litters because of past urinary issues with my kitties. Saving $4 buying Tidy Cat I found has cost me hundreds of dollars at the Vets. In all fairness my Vet did coach me about what litter I should have used, I didn’t listen and my poor kitty suffered from my stupidity.

I like TSC the best. They have two clumping litter choices; one has a scent or something extra that cats don’t need and the other is unscented with two or three ingredients noted on the label. Their house brand is named Paws & Claws; 25 lbs./$5.99 or 40 lbs./$9.99.

#59406 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I forgot, there is one more kibble that they all loved, Grandma Mae’s GF Cat and Kitten.

#59407 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I am wondering if changing litter is one of the things that helped “set off” my kitty too. I was switching up a bit before it happened. I guess I’ll never really know. Just frustrating as I thought feeding him mostly canned was going to prevent it from happening. I’ll switch very slowly if I decide to give it a try.
    On another note, I ordered some of the Hi-Tor Urinary food from Chewy the other day. It is much cheaper. I am going to try and sneak it in my other canned vet food rotation. The ingredients don’t look much different than the more expensive stuff. Has anyone with a cat with urinary crystals tried it?

#59411 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Cats are tricky sometimes. He just might be physically built the way it makes male kitties more susceptible to urinary issues as well.

I never fed Hi-Tor. I took a look at their website because my pet store sells it and it’s from the same company which also has Triumph foods. I do feed a few of the canned Triumph cat and dog food recipes.

#59413 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

FYI – Triumph, Evolve, and Hi-Tor are canned by Simmons

#59445 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog
    #59447 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Not trying to be insensitive or anything, but that is one messed up looking cat! LOL My jaw about hit the floor when it saw how old he was, though. I’m happy to see such an animal live a long, healthy life. RIP weird little dude.

#59449 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Yeah he lived a good life. I watched a news report on him a long time ago; he seemed real sweet.

#59830 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Well, yippee, my power is back on! However, we are supposed to be getting hammered again tomorrow. So scarey with the amount of trees we have around us. Anyway, I received the Hi-Tor urinary tract canned cat food from Chewy today. All of the cats except Casper gobbled it right up. Lol! It’s kind of funny, but mostly frustrating as he is the one who is the reason for ordering it. I’ll offer it a few more times before I give up. Let’s hope he changes his mind as I have a case of it. Good luck all with this bad storm that is hitting many parts of the U.S. in the next few days!

#59832 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Must be new cat food day! LOL I got around to mixing up that Wild Kitty raw mix tonight. It looks disgusting, but after I had separated it all out into ice cube trays, I let the kitty lick the spoon and he went to town on that thing. Not a single speck left on that spoon LOL The first ingredient in the mix is clam, which is why assume he likes it so much. Is clam associated with hyperthyroid, like fish is?

Stay safe girl!

#59857 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I’m not sure about clams being linked with hyper-t. I think it is the possible high levels of iodine in seafood that could be a cause of the disease. But, so is BPA in cans and PBDE fire retardants in furniture that are possible contributors as well. I wouldn’t worry about the clam. I fed my cats the seafood variety pack of Fancy Feast to my cats for years along with some kibble. I thought I was really feeding them well. The cans probably had BPA in the lining as well. I think with the amount of variety you are feeding, a little seafood isn’t going to hurt.
    I’m glad the Wild Kitty went well. What did you mix it with?

#59861 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I mixed it with a pound of 2% fat ground chicken breast. The mix says to use 15%+ percent fat meats, but as his first time with bulk raw, I chose the lowest fat I could find, and separated it into 3.5 oz portions to feed off for breakfast’s. Just worried that such high fat combined with more raw than he’s used to might upset his tummy. Of course, he has an iron stomach, so I doubt it would, but better safe than sorry! He won’t be getting enough of it to really make any difference with how low fat it is anyways, I don’t think. 1.5 pounds (meat, water and mix) made about 8 breakfasts. The mix itself is very thick, so I think if I ever do this again, I’ll use chuncks of meat in stead of ground, so he can chew the meat and lap up the mix.

#60179 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Hello my cat loving friends! C4C, of course all the cats EXCEPT the one that needs it loved the pricey specialty canned food. lol. I am sorry to hear that it didn’t work out for you, that does sound exceptionally frustrating especially in light of all that you have gone through with him recently.

I just wanted to stop in and mention that I went to my local Big Lots today, and, it was very busy of course with Christmas Shoppers, as its always a place to find good deals on ….things…lol. Anyway, they had 5.5oz cans of Nulo grain free Chicken and grain free Turkey formulas for 60 cents each. I bought 10 of them, because I have never fed this brand before, although I do think its highly likely that my cats will like it. If they do, I will probably go back when I get paid on Tuesday, and clear em out if they haven’t been cleared out already, because cat food is expensive and that is a pretty good deal.

#60180 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Oh yeah, they also had 16lb bags of Max Cat and 14lb bags of several varieties of Natural Choice for $15 each, just incase anyone is interested.

#60181 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Thanks, Sharon, I’m off work this next week. I’m gonna have to put Big Lots on my list. Yes, feeding prescription canned has been trying. I’m already having thoughts of giving up because he’s doing so well. But, I promised myself at least 6 months. At least he loves the Vet kibble. :-/

Viewing 50 posts - 1,101 through 1,150 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.