Cat and dogs and food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Cat and dogs and food

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alisonb

I have three senior cats and will be adopting a rescue dog shortly. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to keep the dog away from the cat food and the cats away from the dog food. The cat food is in a continuous feeder as they eat through out the day. I cannot put a gate up as the cats cant jump like they used to. I will not be home during the day to stop the dog from trying to eat the cat food. If anyone has suggestions I am open to anything. I would prefer not to purchase the magnetic device gate.

#32489 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I keep my cats’ food and litter box behind a door with a Kitty door on it that the dogs can’t get through. I also bought a big tall gate with a little kitty door in it through pet smart to keep them out of the laundry room where the other little box and dirty laundry is. Good luck!

#33696 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Check out ikeahackers, they have some cool easy ideas for a separated cat area

#33699 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Keeping a gated area/room for your cats’ food would be good. Whenever the dogs are inside, we set the cat food up on a table/counter, anywhere the cats can easily jump, but the dogs stay down. As for the dog food, dogs should be fed 2-4 meals through the day, so it shouldn’t be a problem keeping the cats away for a few minutes while doggie eats. Keep bagged food in a safe spot. Most dogs will tear holes in bags, and my boy is smart enough to just unroll the bag if he ever gets the chance.

Our dog food is stored in an old metal garbage can (we have had it for over 10 years, and not once used it for trash, hah!)…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.