🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Bobby dog

Hello:
    I want to buy a car harness for my medium sized 42 lbs. dog. I would appreciate any suggestions for brands/styles I should consider. Any experiences you can share, good or bad, would be helpful too. I also would like any thoughts on the seatbelt tethers and zip lines for the harnesses if you use them.

I found a new place to walk with Bobby, but there is no stream in the area for water breaks. Our typical walk is about an hour or two long so I am looking for a water bottle for dogs that is fairly compact. I have seen bottles that have a dish attached, separate collapsible dishes, and attachments you can add to a regular water bottle to make it easy for dogs to drink from. Does anyone have a favorite water bottle for their dog they like to take hiking?

Thanks for your advice!

#56607 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The thing with seatbelts is that a lot of them are designed with too much freedom of movement and that actually makes them very dangerous. You need one with wide straps and that the harness part goes further down the body, not just around the shoulders, and that holds them firmly to the seat.

I’ve used the water bottle with the fold out dish that’s the same shape as the bottle. It worked great for the dogs, but it didn’t last all that long. A friend of mine got the exact same one and hers has lasted about forever, so I suspect in my case it is a bit of handler error.

#56611 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks BC. I noticed when I was looking at harnesses some looked like the harness I use to walk him with while others had wider straps and a contoured piece for the belly area.

I can understand handler error, happens to me all the time. lol

#56615 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Some of them really are nothing more than a walking harness with a way to attach it to the seatbelt. I don’t want my dog suspended by that, in case of an accident. I want one that I would be comfortable trying to lift the dog with. I tried finding a link to the one I like, but haven’t found it yet. I’ll keep looking.

#56616 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks BC. This is one I have bookmarked by sleepypod:

http://sleepypod.com/shop/dog-harness/clickit-dog-harness.html

#56619 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have seen another that I liked the harness part better, but the clickit is the one that actually passed safety testing when all the other ones tested failed. It sounds like the one to go with.

#56621 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks for your input. I am going to look around a little more to comparison shop. I was trying to find info on safety testing, but did not find much. The videos I found were a little disturbing to view.

#56624 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, they are, but that’s why how the seatbeat attaches is so important. It isn’t good enough if the dog only flies 2 feet off the seat and only snaps it’s neck.

#56628 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I like the ollydog bottle, and you can get a karabiner on there so it just hangs off your belt

#56631 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have this now.

I leave it in the car.

#56634 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Bobby Dog, the safest place in the car is to sit them behind the front passengar in the back seat but I live Austraila & we drive on the opposite site to America so it may be different…I always have Patch in his strong snug harness when walking where the connection ring is in the middle of his back, so his chest & body does all the pulling, not his neck….when we go in the car, I just connect his seat belt to his walking harness, that way there’s no mucking around when he gets out he’s in his normal walking harness on & I just click on his lead.. I just bought this thick wide black strap for $10 thats ajustable it has a seat belt tongue connection one end that clicks into the seat belt connection & then you connect the other end to the ring on back of dogs harness, you can make it longer or you can make it shorter, depends on the height of ur dog & if you want them to move around on the back seat, I make the length of Patches with enough freedom to look out of the side back window behind the passengar & he can lay back down to sleep but can not walk to the mddle of the back seat just in case I have an accident & he has too much freedom & he has moved to the middle of the back seat, he can go flying into the front of the car if he has to much freedom….. I dont like those little black straps you connect to dog harness then you slip the seat belt thru the strap then click the seat belt in, I dont think they would be safe as the dog can move the length of the seat belt if place on the middle seat belt..
    In Austraila its illegal not to have a seat belt on a dog or in some type of crate cage in the back of the car bit..the safest thing you can do is to make sure your dog is sitting behind a seat & not in the middle of the back seat, so if you have to slam on ur brakes he doesn’t go flying into the front of the car also the front seat is a no no for dogs, if the air bags goes off it can hurt or kill a small to meduim dog….

#56635 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thank you for that info Susan. I am looking for recommendations on brands and types of dog car harnesses and any suggestions for water bottles. Most, if not all, dog car harnesses in the US serve a dual purpose so there would be no need to change out of a car harness and into a regular harness.

#56636 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

aquariangt:
    I like that bottle and the ability to attach a karabiner, but I have to admit when I checked out the site I was also drawn to the dog back pack. Maybe I’ll give up my purse and make Bobby carry my stuff. lol I actually have one of their collapsible bowls and like it very much.

BC: I have only seen the plain collapsible bowls in my pet store. That one is pretty nifty since you can attach it to a bottle and a clip. Keeping it in my truck would be convenient too.

#56645 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I use a cooler carry bottle holder it has a long strap that you put over shoulder like a bag for when we are walking, u can also unsip the bottom & put a little round ice pack in the bottom of it, I use that section as a purse, I put the dog water bottle/bowl in it, one side of the water bottle has a bowl that u open out, as u open it u sqeeze the plastic bottle & the water starts to fill the bowl thats attached to the bottle they sell them in $2 junk shops for $2…..

#56646 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I wouldn’t buy a water bottle at a dollar store as it would likely contain BPA.

#56663 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hey, guys, sorry to butt in – I have no useful suggestions but would love to follow this topic. Also, I have a question – is is mandatory for pets to be secured by a seat belt of sorts? I know the dangers of them not being secured due to an accident, but I never even knew there were harnesses/seat belts for dogs! One time I was almost hit and it was just Bruno and I – my right hand flew off automatically to protect him while I swerved to avoid the erm, bad driver, who almost t-boned into my car. Thankfully nothing happened, but I guess it would be good to know what options are good to keep a dog safe in the car. I don’t know how he would take to being “restricted” in the car, but it’s for his own good, so yeah…

As for bowls/bottles, I have debated just getting a couple collapsible ones and using those for hikes/camping trips.

#56664 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I bought this very cool elevated car seat for my Cavalier. It’s like a padded booster seat with two tethers on a ring to keep her in the seat, plus it boosts her up so she can see our the window. Bruno is small enough that you might like something similar for him.

This is the one that I bought: http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-c26940/k-and-h-pet-bucket-booster-seat.jsp&S=0&WS=1&search=pet%252520car?isFromSrch=true&pCode=c26940

#56665 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

DogFoodie BPA is the main component of polycarbonate, the HARD clear plastic, SOMETIMES USED to make water bottles, baby bottles, food storage containers, CDs & eletronics, key boards etc, these dog bottles are a soft plastic bottle as you squeeze the bottle, so water goes into bowl…

#56666 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Susan / Sue66b,

You should site your source when you quote one. I presume this is the site you’re quoting:
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/bpa.htm

Regardless, I’m familiar with what BPA is, and that’s why I wouldn’t knowingly use a product that contained it to store food or drinks meant for ingestion by my family or my dogs. There is an abundance of plastic products available for sale in dollar-type stores, much of which is made in China, which I would never trust.

My point was that I would not knowingly use a product that contained BPA to store water for my dog. I would choose a quality product, clearly and reliably labeled BPA free.

#56667 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Whatever Besty, read the link u posted, its not in soft plastic bottles, its in hard plastics, if it is in them at all..doesnt mean cause you pay a arm & a leg for something it’s better then a cheaper product, Im glad you read my posts, I dont bother reading ur post…..

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Susan.
    #56669 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Well, if you don’t read my posts, why are you responding to me.

Admittedly, it’s infrequent that I read one of your posts in its entirety.

#56670 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

For collapsible I use kurgos, and like bcn, I kept it in my car for when we are just toting around town- the ollydog one I use for hikes and other bigger things. They do have some other cool stuff, though I’ve never tried a backpack, I could stick that on dani and she would just judge me. She has a very judgemental look that I get from her often

#56671 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Wierd, my second paragraph didn’t post. As far as cars- I’ve seen people that like both raised and car harnesses, but I’m personally a crate in the car type of guy. Too many stories of accidents and dog jumping out and getting hit or lost for my liking, but maybe ruff gear has a good harness? I like their products in general. My car crates are much lighter and soft sided compared to my home crates

#56673 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Aqgt
    I am glad you posted again, I wanted to ask if you used any of the other ollydog stuff. I can’t even imagine the looks Bobby would give me for putting a backpack on. lol I am wondering if their disks are tough enough for Bobby. I have bought several for him, he loves them, but quickly they fall apart and I have the tube inside and a round piece of fabric left. I know nothing lasts forever, just want more than a few weeks. He doesn’t chew on his Frisbees either, just plays catch. If you have used one I’d appreciate feedback. I like using these disks or softer plastic ones better than a Frisbee.

Alek
    Like DF I used to use an elevated safety seat for my JRT she loved it. Don’t remember the brand, so long ago.

I don’t believe there are any laws about restraining animals in vehicles. Where I live you can’t have a pet in the back of a pick up without restraining them. Wish they weren’t allowed to do that at all.

The other danger for pets are airbags. I deactivate my passenger side when Bobby rides with me.

I have a car safety harness a friend gave me for Bobby now, but I got to looking at it the other day and decided their is no way that could be tough enough to keep him safe in an accident. I can’t post links right now, but if you go to one of my posts on the first page it has a link to a brand I like. In the article there are several links, one of them is to footage of simulated accidents using test dummy dogs. You will quickly see why a regular walking harness or none at all could leave your dog seriously injured or worse. I could not find much data on testing or the effectiveness of car safety equipment for dogs, but I am pretty sure I will go with the brand I posted.

#56677 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Naturella:
    I was wrong, the link on the first page doesn’t take you to the test crash videos for dog car harnesses. Here’s the link; they have info on booster seats and crates too:

http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/2013-harness-crash-test-videos/

#56681 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

http://www.chewy.com/dog/ruff-dawg-k9-flyer/dp/38886

I haven’t used the OD disc, but I do like these k9 flyers, though my dog that will play with them doesn’t have an aggressive mouth at all

#56684 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks aquariangt! I like that softer plastic material for a Frisbee. I had a soft plastic type Frisbee that he loved, but I ran over it with my mower. Looks like it would hold up to his play. I am going to give it a try.

#56686 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I believe in the state of New Jersey it’s a law that dogs must be restrained while driving in the car.

#56688 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

To the best of my knowledge, it’s a law in most places that dogs can’t drive at all. Riding in the car could be a different story. 😀

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

#56693 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The picture of your dog is the cutest, it looks like he’s rolling around laughing at your joke!!!! lol

#56694 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks, she actually was on her belly when I took that photo.

#56695 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Oooooooops sorry, she.

#56696 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

It’s fine. 😀

#56699 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use Kurgo harnesses for my three.

#56704 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks InkedMarie

#56708 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bobby Dog, I see. Yeah, I am about to look at the harness and the videos now.

#56711 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Wow! Those look scary! I definitely will consider the Sleepypod Clickit Utility one, just need to find it on sale.

#56728 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

And I’m about to look at The Walking Dead…not quite as scary as a car accident, but scary nonetheless!!

#56739 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Me too! Not SO incredibly excited about this episode… You know why, I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CAROL!!! But I am mostly excited still… 9min!!! 🙂

Sorry, won’t get off topic here!

#56745 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

My cavaliers all have car seats. The girls have the Lookout car seat. Rupert has a different one because he gets car sick if he looks out the window, so I bought him the Pup Saver. It is crash tested and actually faces backward and low on the seat. He rides in the front passenger side. The girls ride in the backseat. The Lookout isn’t a crash tested seat, but I like it better than most. All are buckled in and wear kurgo car seat harnesses.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #59615 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

AQGT:
    I kind of kept forgetting to buy a new Frisbee toy for Bobby and today my pet store had a 30% off everything sale. They only had one brand of flexible and soft type Frisbee, Easy Glide DuraFoam disc, so for the price I thought I would give it a try.

Playing with it today I love throwing it because although light, it keeps a straight path like a regular plastic Frisbee so it makes it easy for Bobby to follow. For some reason he is really good at catching this one too. The design shape makes it easy for him to pick up from the ground no matter what side it lands on. It also held up to my horse stepping on it. That’s another reason I need a soft type Frisbee, Bobby is forever leaving them laying around for the horses to step on. Apparently I can use it as a water dish too. lol Time will tell if it holds up to his play.

Easy Glide DuraFoam DISC®

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.