Canned Pink Salmon high in Sodium?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Canned Pink Salmon high in Sodium?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Peggy

My son’s dad brought me a can of pink Salmon for the dogs.
    I have a couple of questions that may sound rather stupid.

1 – Is can salmon safe to eat out of the can like Tuna is?

2 – 1 serving (1/4 cup) contains 270mg of sodium. Isn’t that high, especially for a dog?

Thanks in advance.

#64689 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Peggy –

Canned salmon is perfectly safe for dogs to eat and is, in fact, a great way to add omega 3’s and protein to the diet. Most canned products do tend to be high in sodium although high sodium isn’t a huge concern for healthy dogs so feeding it on occasion shouldn’t be an issue. There are low sodium options though. When I give my dogs canned salmon I use Raincoast Trading No Salt Added Salmon which only has 25 mg sodium per serving (75 mg per can).

#64700 Report Abuse

That sounds like a great addition to your dogs food Peggy. I use canned sardines but haven’t tried canned salmon yet. I’m going to pick some up next time im out.

#65395 Report Abuse
    Peggy

HMM, I’m sorry but I never got a notification that you replied to my topic. Thank you for doing so.

How do you prepare the can salmon? Is it already cooked and just put it in their bowl? Or does it need to be cooked?

#65397 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

It’s already cooked. Most of them (unless packaging states otherwise) have bones in them, but they are soft and easily crushed between two fingers. I just scopp it right out of the can and into the dog’s bowl.

#65399 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Thank you very much Jennifer. My dogs love fish.
    I do believe I will go through it and get the bones out though.

#65590 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I got some canned sardines today, and they have ~100mg of sodium per ounce. Each once has approximately 35 calories, so if I was feeding that as the only topper for a meal then an ounce is probably the amount I would give her. Is 100mg too much sodium in one meal for a 10 pound dog?

#66193 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I just opened a can of Pink Salmon and it was FULL of bones!
    I couldn’t feed my dog these bones, so will go through it and get out as many as I can.

Is there such a think as de-boned salmon?
    Google, here I come!

#66201 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I will definitely get boneless salmon next time, too much work ha.
    They loved it though.

#80045 Report Abuse
    Madeline B

Unlike the bones in raw salmon, the bones in canned salmon are pressure cooked and safe because they are soft and crumbly. They are also a hood cource of calcium.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.