🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I want to give my yorkie a little tripe and I need to know what is the best canned to buy.

#44860 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    I’ve seen Tripett recommended by several posters. I can’t find it in my area so I use Solid Gold about once a week. I’ve also tried Merrick’s. I would be ok suggesting either of these also. It’s a little stinky, but not too bad. I guess raw is really odorous! Good luck.

#44863 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Tripett is my favorite. I used to use it all the time, they’ve got several varieties to choose from too which is nice. If you can get the raw though (Hare Today and My Pet Carnivore are probably the best) your dog will benefit a lot more. The raw green tripe is loaded with enzymes and beneficial bacteria, that’s all destroyed during the canning process. I may be in the minority here, but imo the canned smells MUCH worse than the raw.

#44869 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Merrick’s canned recipe “Working Dog Stew” also has tripe in it as does Ziwipeak and they’re both balanced diets.

#44925 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I cannot believe my eyes.

Sam very strategically ate around the plop of Solid Gold canned tripe I put in his food tonight. He’s since returned to his bowl a couple of times to see if he could find any more kibble, but will not eat the tripe. Not at all unexpectedly, Arabella on the other hand, snarfed hers down and is lying in wait for Sam to walk away when I’m not there to shoo her away from his bowl.

#44927 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Wow! Just wow!

#44930 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Wow, Betsy, that is surprising. Did you mix it in the kibble at all, or just put it on top?

#44934 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I actually just plopped it right on top rather than mixing it in. Seeing his reaction, I’m not sure he would’ve eaten it at all if I had mixed it in. Funny thing is, he ate Vital Essential tripe treats before and he liked them.

#44936 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Maybe it’s a Solid Gold thing rather than a tripe thing.

#44943 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Well, they just ate, and this time I didn’t put it on top of his kibble. I put it in a separate bowl. He was reluctant and kept giving me the hairy eyeball; but eventually, he started to lick it and finally ate it.

I wanted Tripett, but they didn’t have it at either of the places I stopped yesterday while we were running errands. I haven’t had much luck ordering cans. It seems they always arrived dented. The worst case was even having a couple of blowouts. So gross.

#44946 Report Abuse
    meky6ra

So, what IS tripe?

#44951 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Betsy-
    Maybe it is a Solid Gold issue. It contains a lot more ingredients than the Tripett. I can’t find it here either. I’ve also used Merrick tripe and they also have a stew that has tripe in it. I only use it once in a while. But, my dogs eat just about anything. Except, if I don’t put anything in their kibble, they give me the “hairy eyeball.”

Meky6ra-
    Tripe, I believe is the stomach of a cow or lamb. You can google foe more info. It’s stinky and gross, just like the dogs (well most dogs) like!

#44953 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I feel like I’ve seen it somewhere locally, but can’t recall where. I’m going to try another boutique near my office tomorrow. I avoid Merck products altogether.

Do you guys have any issues ordering canned foods?

#44960 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Is there any canned tripe that dosen’t contain carrageenan? Solid Gold and Tripett both have.

#44983 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Betsy: when Tucker was alive, I got a trial size of NV medallions. I put one on top of his kibble. He wouldn’t go near it & this is the dog who would eat the a** off a horse & come back for the hooves!

#44991 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

LOL, Marie! That sounds like Sam! The look on his face sometimes when he finds what’s in his bowl is priceless.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.