šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

Hey, guys!

So, I have a question. Is there a difference (besides appearance and texture) between pate style canned food and stew style canned food? I have given Bruno both kinds (although different brands and meats), and he did great on the Wellness Core canned fish-based one, and when I gave him a Merrick Kiss-Me-I’m-Irish (beef, carrots, and potato) Stew canned on St. Patrick’s Day he immediately got really really soft stool.
    Both times he got canned it was mixed in with his regular kibble at the time.

Do you think it’s because of the brand, the meat, or the type of canned, or all of these combined? Bruno has no problems with fish or beef in kibble, canned (like real sardines), raw, or as bully sticks/cow ears.

#36239 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Is the fiber the same? It could be the binder as well.

#36251 Report Abuse
    Naturella

You know, Marie, not sure… I can look up the generic Merrick Stew Style cans and compare those to the Wellness Core pate style cans… The Merrick I fed was a limited edition can…

#36252 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Ok, so the Merrick 96% Beef (closest to the “Kiss Me I’m Irish”, I think) has 1.40% fiber. The canned Wellness Core Fish has 0.5% fiber. He got the soft stool on the Merrick.

#36992 Report Abuse
    Scott G

I had the same experience with my 3 year old terrier mix, except my situation might be more conclusive because it was the same brand: Wellness Core vs Wellness Stews. It seems he tolerates the Core but not the stews (he gets loose stools). I’m surprised because the Core has a higher protein to carb ratio but the stews may simply be too rich for him.

He seems to thrive on a diet that’s half Wellness core wet and half wellness core dry (for small dogs). Like people, all dogs are different and sometimes it’s just trial and error.

Good luck to you and your dog!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Scott G.
    #36993 Report Abuse
    Scott G

Oh, one more thing… my vet suggested adding a spoon of canned pumpkin to get some good quality fiber into his system. Haven’t tried it yet (changing the food seemed to have done the trick), but this could be a good option to boost the fiber and keep your dog “regular.” I assume it’s not hard to find unsweetened, plain canned pumpkin in the supermarket.

I also found this interesting article about the benefits of canned pumpkin for dogs:
    http://raisinghealthydogs.com/discover-the-health-benefits-of-canned-pumpkin-for-dogs

#36999 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

“Stews” tend to have more moisture than “pates.” Stews are generally >80% moisture while pates are usually <80% moisture. I doubt this contributed to the loose stools though, I’d assume it was probably an ingredient in one that wasn’t in the other that he may have been sensitive to.

#37023 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Scott G, thanks so much for the input! I have tried the Core (pate style) and he love it. I have wanted to try the stews too, and still would one day. I have used pumpkin on him before for loose stools. I have used flax seed meal, brown rice, bread, all sorts of things. With Bruno, I think you just have to wait it out and give him his plain kibble. The other stuff don’t hurt (I don’t think they do at least), but I haven’t noticed significant improvement from any one “additive” or a few combined. But they are healthy (pumpkin and flax at least), and I have given them when he had horribly hard stools, and he still gets a bit of them.

Hound Dog Mom, true… I found some Nutro tubs on sale and got them – 2 were pate style, two – stew-ish style. He is doing great on both types of wet from Nutro. And I also add water to each type when I mix it with his kibble anyway to make it soupy – for added hydration, and he loves it. I think that one time it may have been the extra gravy (the Nutro stew-ish style has super little sauce), or I don’t know what…

But yes, each dog is different, and it is definitely a bit of a trial and error sometimes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.