🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BlackAndTan
    Participant

Hi everyone

I recently posted asking for gluten-free suggestions for my 6 year old rottie with a mild seizure history over the last year. I got some good suggestions and checked a number of products out, eventually landing on Canine Caviar (CC) (dry dinner, venison).

My big concern was that my dog’s Orijen had been making him sluggish in recent months, and the longtime producer of AWFUL (!!!!!!!) gas.

I am extremely happy with the CC. The gas is pretty well eliminated, bowel movements barely smell, but here’s the real kicker: my dog was always regular, but would often need to walk for an hour to be ready to ‘produce,’ even if he’d been moaning to go out. I figured it was a behavioural thing. But, since starting the CC, he will have a bm within a block of leaving home (and perfect, healthy formation). With the massive heat wave we’ve been having, and the risk of him over-exerting and over-stressing, this has been a lifesaver.

Just sharing this experience in case someone has a dog with mild constipation who must be gluten free. This could be a good solution for you. Might be the lower protein?

#20851 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I am glad to hear something positive about this particular food since I just ordered the CC Venison. I do not have the issues you have with your baby but mine do have yeasty smell to them and yeasty ears and itchy constantly. One of mine has something else going on that I am hoping it isn’t the same issue we had before. I think shes allergic to turkey and may be having intestinal allergies to it so we are switching.

Did you just do a switch over with your dog or did you mix with his previous kibble? Glad your baby is doing so well on CC 🙂

#20873 Report Abuse
    BlackAndTan
    Participant

Hi!
    CC suggests just doing a cold switch, so we did that. No problems at all.
    I think you will be happy with the CC Venison. I was very nervous about switching my guy’s food: making a tiny wrong move and provoking a seizure is a big concern I have with his diet and environment.

Another really nice plus it is really cost effective. Like surprisingly so. Though bags run the same price as the other premium foods, they are more dense so less feeding is necessary. Yesterday I fed my 112lb dog 1.5 cups as it was sweltering out so decreased exercise, and he didn’t complain about being hungry once. And this is a dog on phenobarbital! (appetite stimulant)

#21064 Report Abuse
    labgirl
    Participant

hi ! i have my guys on this food and my one lab has allergies and a super sensitive stomach, i switched right onto this stuff, coming off of acana. No issues. I feed my guy and within 20 minutes a beautiful poop!
    what a great food . im so happy to hear more people on it and dogs doing great !

#21067 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You do know that it would be a serious problem if a food you fed your dog produced poop in 20 minutes, don’t you?

#21928 Report Abuse
    labgirl
    Participant

my dogs have ALWAYS poopd within 20 minutes of eating. there poops are perfect each time. Almost anyone i know, there dogs go right out within 20 minutes of eating a meal and have a bowel movement. sorry u feel that way… their poops are perfect so i see no problems. ive spoken to MANY breeders about this and they confirm that im not alone

#21935 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

My 4 always poop right after a meal. Honestly CC doesn’t have enough protein for my crew. After on it for 1 week I noticed more chewing on their feet and legs and shedding got worse. No it is not detox because we do half Raw now and half kibble. So over all I wasn’t thrilled with this food.

#21937 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Just because they poop after eating doesn’t mean that poop is from that particular meal. It takes food longer than that to pass through your dog unless they are having major diarrea blowouts and probably not even then. Stomach emptying takes longer than that.

#21940 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Yes the pooping is from the meal before that being pushed out. Nice morning topic

#21942 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Isn’t it? Bracing on a beautiful Sunday morning. Well, I’m off to church now and I hope I don’t get confused about what I’m teaching my kids this morning. GFETE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.