🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mo’s Mom
    Participant

After being a lurker for awhile, I wanted the opinion from some of the very knowledgeable commenters here at DFA. My dog, Mocha, gets mostly dry food (Victor ALS) with some green beans and can food as a topper because she can sometimes be finicky (and, if she doesn’t eat, my parent’s bloodhound is all about some stealing 🙂 ). Right now, I’m using Newman’s Own Organics as her can food, but I’d like to switch between a couple of different can foods since I cannot switch between her dry due to expense (the place I work at sells Victor, so I get an employee discount on it, which is one of the reasons I use it).

I’ve been looking at the following on Wag.com:
    *Fromm
    *Wellness
    *Wellness 95 percent
    *Wellness Core
    *Newman’s Own Organics
    *Holistic Select

Any other suggestions? (Please note that I can’t go much over 30 dollars for the 12 can-case, and I need something that is NOT a stew/in gravy for the very personal reason of I can’t stand stewed/gravy can food for some reason).

Thanks in advance!

#25871 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Look for Merrick and Whole Earth Farms(also by Merrick), I’m not sure if the new Pure Balance at Walmart is a gravy type or not and if you have a Tractor Supply look at 4Health.

#25887 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The pate type canned foods I like are Core, Tripett, Addiction and Whole Earth Farms and Merrick 96%. I haven’t checked their case prices lately.

#25888 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Tripett is $28-$33 per case!

#25889 Report Abuse
    Mo’s Mom
    Participant

Tripett’s, Merrick 96% have all been added to my “short” list. I’ve tried the Pure Balance, but didn’t like it as much as the Newman’s Own. I really, really wish there was somewhere online where I could pick and choose my own variety pack so I could get one of each brand I want to try! I’ve got a feed store nearby that I”m going to stop by tomorrow to see what brands they have in stock. Thanks for the suggestions!

#25913 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I’m using the Evo turkey and chicken in my rotation. I’m still sticking with it so far, I think it’s an excellent product for the money. I second the Whole Earth Farms and the Pure Balance doesn’t have gravy.

#25994 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

You can buy single cans at naturalk9supplies(dot)com. I used to use a lot of ZiwiPeak, Nature’s Logic, Tripett, Nature’s Variety Instinct, EVO and Merrick when I used canned.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #25996 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

We got some of the Pure Balance for the shelter – it’s a stew type food with a lot of gravy. Actually looked pretty good.

#25997 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Sandy, just a heads up, you might already know or it may not be an issue for you but Addiction’s canned foods are made by Evanger’s. I used to use them a lot for Gus when he ate dry/canned and didn’t know, I recently found this out though. I guess this is only true for the US, their canned foods for other countries are manufactured somewhere in NZ.

#26001 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

!#&%@!! Well, crap!! I guess it’s a sign…I don’t have any on my shelf right now. I’ve been meaning to email Hound and Gatos to see where they are canned. Keep forgetting! Anyone know?

#26013 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I like TOTW cans…they’re grain free and stew type. My dogs like the stew types better than the pate. I really like Wellness, all types of it, as well. Merrick is ok, too, but I don’t like it as much as I use to. 4Health grain frees are stew type and a great price at .99 a can, but I’m finding I’m using more TOTW lately. I just bought 2 cans of Pure Balance Beef (it’s not gf) stew type for 1.00 a can to try, but I really like TOTW and Wellness the best, so far. My dogs also get Petsmart’s Simply Nourish at times which goes on sale often but isn’t all the cheap, and Weruva which is quite expensive.

pugsmomsandy…..I’ve been meaning to check into Hounds & Gatos as I like the looks of it. Let me know what you find out about the manufacturer. Thanks. 🙂

#26015 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

That stinks about Addiction. Sandy, let us know about Hound & Gatos.

#26016 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I spoke to Hound and Gatos customer service once – not a fan. That would be reason enough for me to not use their products.

#26022 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

HDM: what did they say?

#26023 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Fed the Pure Balance Beef stew type today…it’s not gf, though. The dogs loved it on top of their TOTW. Let’s see how it goes digestion-wise. 🙂

#26030 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I just thought they were really rude or at least the man I spoke to. I had a some questions I wanted to ask them and I remember I didn’t even ask everything I wanted to because the customer service was so horrible I just wanted to get off the phone. He asked me why I wanted to know the things I was asking or something along those lines – he just asked like he was suspicious of me. I don’t know why, I was just curious about their food.

#26034 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Ok…no Hounds & Gatos for me! I would have to order it online anyway and I have access to some great canned foods locally.

#26037 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Wow, that’s too bad. You should tell davesHounds

#26038 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

This is an idea for anyone can someone make a stickie of who makes what food, I know a lot of you know off the top of your head but some of us don’t!

#26041 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I got the 95% Pure Balance. It was a pate.

#26042 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

neezerfan, yes, the 95% Pure Balance is pate and the regular kind is a stew.

#26043 Report Abuse
    Mo’s Mom
    Participant

Thanks, HDM, for the website suggestion, and thanks to everyone for the canned food suggestions! I’ve got quite a list to work from now; I’m sure Mocha is going to appreciate it!

#26044 Report Abuse
    Mo’s Mom
    Participant

Mom2Cavs, I’m pretty sure the PureBalance I had was the regular kind, and it was a pate. I could be wrong, but I’m almost positive? Maybe they make both a stewed and a pate version?

#26051 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Mo’s Mom….the Pure Balance regular is definitely stew…my dogs had it yesterday and this morning lol. It’s also not grain free…contains rice. I looked at the 95% and it is a pate, which is grain free. I would prefer to use it but if I remember correctly it had something in it I didn’t want to give Laverne, my allergy dog.? I’ll have to look at it again when I go to Wal Mart next.

#26059 Report Abuse
    Mo’s Mom
    Participant

Mom2Cavs: Obviously, I can’t read my cans….oh well, yesterday was a long day. We found out my parent’s dog (the bloodhound) blew out one of her back knees and she’s having surgery on it today.

#26086 Report Abuse
    lizbethc41
    Participant

I feed Muggsy 1/2 organic home cooked ( recipes from vet nutritionist consults) & 1/2 organic canned now. I looked into Newman’s & was using ByNature organics, but both have carrageenan in them.
    I switched to Party Animal organic & was switching around among the grain free selections. I guess I was switching around too often & messed up his system poor guy.
    After a lot of GI issues, it seems their Blazin’ beef & sweet potato plus home cooked beef & sweet potato has done the trick!!
    Don’t see much about Party Animal, but it seems like good stuff. They have a new line featuring coconut which I will rotate him with eventually, but after all the poo issues he had, I am leaving well enough alone for now 😉
    And when I do, I will reference Patty Vaughn’s method of sloooowwww transitioning!

#26088 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Mo’s Mom…no worries. I’m sorry to hear about your parent’s dog. Hope she feels better soon. It’s always hard when one of our furbabies is hurt or sick.

What a coincidence…I just bought a few cans of Party Animal to try (the salmon grain free).

#26090 Report Abuse
    Mo’s Mom
    Participant

I really like the Newman’s Own, and since it’s only a topper (she get’s about a teaspoon in the AM and 2 at night), I’m not really worried about some of the more controversial ingredients (though I can totally see why someone who is using it as a major part of their pet’s diet would be). Really, I am just looking to switch up the topper since I have Mocha on one type of dry food (I know I read somewhere that this probably isn’t as good as rotating food and one day when I don’t get the Victor for a reduced price and can afford it, I will try to rotate the dry food. Until then, rotating her topper is the best I can do). I finally got to the feed store today and picked up several different brands of canned food with different proteins. Since they didn’t have everything I wanted to try (which is a lot, I’ll admit), I’m planning on using the very helpful link HDM provided to order the other wet food I want to try.

Again, thank you all for actually taking the time and helping me out!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics