🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kayla

Can dogs eat veggies like green beans and carrots? Do you feed your dog certain food that is safe along with their own dog food?

#58592 Report Abuse
    Lee K

Kayla, I have a 9 mo old Havanese and I make most of his food….boiling chicken in several cups of h2o and adding brown rice, a healthy cereal of some kind (Grape Nuts, Special K) and cans of cut of green beans and carrots…also add can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup (low salt)…I make sure everything is mushed together. He’s been on this and small amount of kibble most of the 6 months I’ve had him. Found out early that just kibble gave him the runs and he just wasn’t eating enough to have any energy. He now is healthy and active most of the day…. sleeps like a baby at night and poops that are “healthy” and easy to take care of…. I have used fresh veggies, but find that he really doesn’t eat unless mushy, thus canned stuff….

#58594 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That does not sound like a balanced diet at all, so would harm your dog in the long run. Look on dogaware.com for some balanced recipes.

Yes, you can add veggies to dog’s food, but most commercial foods are carb heavy and do not need an more carbs added, so stick to low carb veggies. It’s better to add things like sardines, eggs, yogurt, lean meats, etc.

#58815 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I was just curious because I heard green beans and carrots are safe and healthy for dogs but I just wanted to know before I give Dexter any. Sardines? Yuck, lol…but maybe Dexter will love them, might make his breath smell bad lol! I thought about getting plain yogurt and putting a little with his kibble. 🙂 I will go to the store sometime this weekend! Thanks 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.