🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mylo
    Participant

I have a 4yr old Shiloh shep, he’s on the raw diet for over 6 months now, he loves it, i love it as his teeth are white etc etc. He’s got, it looks like hot spots. I had him on EVO before and he never had hot spots. Vet says it’s his diet, he’s against raw diet. I’m thinking of switching him back to EVO but i love the raw diet and benefits of it. Vet gave me pills and it cleared up but came back and i’m not paying $150 for pills all the time. Think i should switch back? He’s eating Congo dinners – chicken, duck, lamb, rabbit. Also eating duck necks, duck feet and lamb necks.
    Thoughts?

#18819 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It could be due to an imbalance in the raw. It might need fish oil added to it and if you aren’t feeding some tripe, I would add probiotics too. You’re dog could be sensitive to one of those protein sources. Chicken is a commonly allergenic food. Try putting him on just one protein source for a month and see how he does, then switch him to another and so on until you know if it is a particular one he is having a problem with.

#18820 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Hot spots are not caused from diet. It can be caused from fleas and also double coated dogs are prone to hot spots if you do not keep the under coat brushed out. Does he stay outside a lot?

What is Congo Dinners? Whatelse is in it besides the proteins listed above?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by NectarMom.
    #18827 Report Abuse
    Mylo
    Participant

http://www.congoraw.com/products.html
    Complete Dinners consisting of Meat, Bone, Organ and a Vegetable/Fruit Blend which is comprised of organic celery, blueberries, romaine lettuce, radicchio, banana and parsley.

He doesn’t stay outside a lot and he’s brushed everyday, the problems are in his inner back legs, not much hair there, it’s very fine.
    I wonder if adding fish oil will help.
    He’s getting heartworm/flea pills.

thanks for your comments, appreciate them

#18908 Report Abuse
    Bongo Buddy
    Participant

Hi Mylo,
    You said he’s not outside much, but does he swim at all? My last dog, Pudge Bear a golden, suffered thru 3 summers of hot spots. Once he got his summer puppy cut he never got another hot spot. His undercoat took so long to dry that it resulted in hot spots. My current golden Bongo at 3 just got his 1st hot spot; his coat isn’t as thick so no summer cut yet.

#18914 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Double coated dogs are meant to have their fur to protect them from the sun. Shaving their fur off just exposes them to other things. After shaving a double coated dog several time you will notice his fur will not ever grow back properly. I try to tell people ahead of time at work but they never listen and feel they should shave the dog due to him or her walking around panting constantly but that is normal and how dogs release heat. shedding is also the reason why people do it so why not get a non shedding breed and leave dogs how mother nature intended them to be since they were born like that?

#18915 Report Abuse
    Bongo Buddy
    Participant

Have to respectfully disagree, as Pudge Bear had way more energy after getting his annual cut. But Bongo doesn’t need a cut, his fur is just normal thickness & the heat doesn’t slow him down. So for me, it’s situational.situated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.