šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Karen J

I do have a picky dog but withholding food just starts her eating her feces again. She did it a little while as a puppy and stopped. I put cayenne pepper on it tonight.

I want to find a grain free budget canned, hopefully with a variety of flavors I think she gets bored. She will have a little bowl of kibble to nosh all day, I’d rather have her free feed than eat her poop. My other dogs had kibble available all day.

The food is put away at night because rats could come in the doggie door, although with her so far so good I think the terrier in her might go after them.

I’ve been giving her her cranberry and vitamin C with cream cheese now she’s getting suspicious. I took a syringe and forced her to take it tonight, maybe she’ll be open to the cream cheese again so we can control the crystals. Cheese and peanut butter don’t work.

That is my new plan.

#58705 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Karen J-
    I have been trying to follow your posts because I have some experience with Struvite crystals. You are tough to follow because you have started so many topics regarding the same issue. It is easier when you keep it all on one thread! Anyway, I’m a little confused. Does your dog have urinary crystals? Is she straining to pee or have blood in it. If yes, then you definitely want to at least feed canned. If you are going to feed kibble, I would feed the prescription type that dissolves the crystals. My cat had crystals and ended up having a blocked urinary tract. I was faced with having a very expensive emergency procedure or euthanasia. I opted for the procedure and it cost close to $2,000. Now I have no money for Christmas, but we still have our cat. Before the surgery, I was already feeding him at least half of his diet with canned food. I also have a water fountain that the cats use. Increased water intake is also important. There are several theories on what causes Struvite crystals. They might be different in dogs than cats, but the outcome could be the same. The vet food for crystals has restricted magnesium and phosphorous which affects the ph level of the urine. After learning the hard way and thinking vet food is crap, I have been feeding the prescription food for about a month and his last urinalysis was clear of any crystals or blood. I will continue to feed both canned and dry Rx food for 6 months and then slowly switch back to regular canned, but will always feed the vet kibble. I try to feed as little kibble as possible, but he was a shelter cat addicted to his crunchies when I got him.
    So, in conclusion, I really hope that you can avoid the same situation. Good luck!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by crazy4cats.
    #58710 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Merrick makes a canned food called Whole Earth Farms that is rated 5 stars and fairly budget friendly: http://www.chewy.com/s/grain-free,canned-food?query=whole+earth+farms&dept=all

#58714 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Thank you, I did try one of the Merrick’s a a few months ago and she didn’t want it – maybe I’ll try I different flavor. Time to diversify, thanks for the info.

#58716 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

No problem!

#58717 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Thanks for the info crazy4cats…no blood in urine, seems to go pretty good most of the time but is clearly blocked occasionally because all of sudden she will puddle in the house, it’s only happened about 3 times. Kibble will most likely just be an option for when I have a particularly killer schedule and can’t take her to daycare.

I got her at 4 ( she is rescue, but was so young) I don’t think the kibble is necessary for her nutrition. She ate a little of it if I sprinkled Stella and Chewy on it. Then she got tired of that.

She has fresh filtered water everyday too.

I want to bet a second opinion, I have yet to find a vet that I have confidence in.

Maybe I’ll reconsider the Rx after the second opinion.

#58718 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Sorry, submitted the above twice…have to go work.

#58720 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Did you have a complete urinalysis done? If yes, What was the crystal level? Was there any bacteria suggesting an infection? I just want you to be careful because increasing canned and water did not fix my cat. I’m lucky he’s not dead. I don’t think dogs are at the same risk as male cats, but you still should be careful. Anyway, Nature’s Domain found at Costco, 4Health @ Tractor Supply and Pure Balance at Walmart are my favorite budget canned foods. Too bad you have to work. Have a great Thanksgiving!

#58722 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

C4C just mentioned the Nature’s Domain food at Costco. If you have a membership, do check it out. It’s an excellent quality product for $1 or less per can. I buy the turkey & pea for stew for one of my dogs. The only thing is that they don’t have alot of variety within the product line, but it could certainly be a part of your canned food rotation and offset the cost of some of the higher price canned foods you choose. Here’s a link to check out their products: http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

#58726 Report Abuse
    Karen J

I know at work they give us some Turkey, but that’s what happens when one of your jobs is local news.

Anyway no infection was found. Honestly I don’t know what all this means, I asked for the report I really don’t know if it was a complete urinalysis:

<ol/>

• no bacteria
  • no WBC
  • no RBC
  • there is 3+ ammonium phosphate crystals
  • diet was suggest to control urine PH to reduce crystals
  • MAS ATT760 Urinalysis – Out
  • Rules out cystitis and crystalluria
  • seems to have small bladder
  • At the bottom of the report it says recommend urinalysis – isn’t that what she did?

I haven’t found a vet close by that I even trust, this first time I’d visited her and it was because of the out of the blue urination.

#58728 Report Abuse
DogFoodie

Just a suggestion for you to check out, Karen… have you ever looked at Diggin’ Your Dog’s Pumpkin with Cranberry: http://www.dydusa.com/firmup_cranberry/. I use the plain without cranberry. It’s very easy to add to the food dry, both of the dogs lick up every grain.

#58732 Report Abuse
Karen J

Yes the pumpkin…she won’t eat it. My last dog wouldn’t either. Too bad for me, it’s highly recommended.

#58786 Report Abuse
crazy4cats
Participant

Hi Karen-
Shoot, I don’t have Casper’s test results with me so I don’t have anything to compare her results with. However if I remember correctly, Casper’s crystal count was much higher and he also had blood. Maybe the vet wants you to have another test after you change her diet.
I don’t know if this has been mentioned or not, but glucosamine has been suggested to me by a couple of different vets and websites. It is supposed to help heal and protect the bladder lining.
It sounds like you are making good changes. Just keep an eye on her and if she starts trying to pee with no results, crying while trying to pee or licking herself down there frequently, get her to a vet quick!

#58788 Report Abuse
theBCnut

Hi C4C

Female are much, much less likely to get blockage issues than males and dogs are much less likely than cats. Male cats have about the tiniest bits on the planet. But even without blockage being an issue, your advice is right on.

#58789 Report Abuse
Karen J

Thanks, I’ll try adding glucosamine she’s already getting C and Cranberry. The big BUT is the delivery system. Cream cheese is the only thing really working and she is getting suspicious of that. I’ve mashed the pills and put them in a syringe with water, that goes over real big too. But usually the next day she’ll opt for the cream cheese.

I am taking her to a different vet for a second opinion. This last vet didn’t even ask to see her again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.