🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kayla

What are some Probiotics that are safe for Dogs and help with digestive issues? I was looking on amazon, and not really sure if I want to spend a lot of money and knowing it might not work. Do you know any that are safe and budget friendly? My dog is starting to have some digestive issues and I am thinking probiotics will help.

#56761 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m using Kefir right now on the dogs and I’m happy with it. 4 bucks a bottle and it stays good forever (well, just about). I one of my dogs has to have it every day or she has terrible tummy troubles.

#56763 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Where did you buy it from?

#56764 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

The dairy section of the grocery store ;3 it’s basically lactose free, liquid yogurt.

#56768 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Swanson’s has good prices.

#56860 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Where do you find that? Can it be found at Walmart? Is it liquid or pill?

#56876 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Kayla

Find what? Kefir? Yes, they have it at Walmart. It’s a drink. Swanson’s? It’s an internet supplement business, so you google it. I think it’s swansonvitamins dot com.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by theBCnut.
    #56883 Report Abuse
    zhiba

Kayla, it’s liquid. Fermented milk. You’ll find it in the refrigerated section of the grocery with the yogurt. The most common brand is LifeWay. Get Plain, unflavored (no sugar), and full fat is fine. 🙂

Kefir made from goat milk is even better, though pricier. I alternate between the two.

Even cheaper is to make it yourself. It sounds odd, but you put the kefir kernels in milk and leave it out. Most people I know who’ve tried this have more kefir than they know what to do with!

Blog on how to make kefir
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-milk-kefir-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202022

#56906 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi zhiba

Thanks for posting the link. I’m going to ask around and see where I can get kefir grains.

#56964 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Zhiba, I am SO ordering those grains when I get my next paycheck! 🙂 Thanks so much for the info!

#57017 Report Abuse
    zhiba

LOL, theBCnut, Naturella, if you guys do start making your own kefir, please report back your experience!

I’m not at the point yet where I’m ready to put the milk in the cupboard along with the cereal, but I’m guessing someday I will. My friends referred to their kefir like a pet – gotta remember to feed it and change it!

#57022 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

You can buy kefir grains on Amazon.

I looked at starting some a while back, but discovered I didn’t have the time or patience.

#57028 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I probably already know several people who have them as pets, I just didn’t know to ask. I can think of at least 3 people in my homeschool group that probably have them, maybe even 7.

#57032 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Come to remember, I used to have water kefir grains as a kid!!! They gave them to me as crystal pets and they told me to feed them raisins and/or honey! They grew so well… I wish I or my family was smart enough to use the dang water as it was intended and not let me throw them down the TOILET BOWL when I got bored with them!!! Seriously, I wasted at least 3-4 cups of perfect water kefir grains! I am so, so sad now… BCN, you are so lucky! I wish I could get milk and water kefir grains from someone for less or free… I am so going to buy both kinds as soon as I get the paycheck! 🙂

#57042 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Well, I don’t know for sure, but I highly suspect…

Unfortunately, it won’t be until next Tuesday for me to find out. Oh wait, I have one of them’s email address. Hmm… There. I just sent the email.

#57045 Report Abuse
    Victoria M

Kayla, the probiotic miracle did wonders for my dog. You can buy it online at Nusentia http://nusentia.com/probiotics-for-pets/pet-probiotics.html. It is pricey BUT it comes with 100% money back guarantee. If it doesn’t work they refund everything including the shipping. I tried yogurt, I tried kefir, I tried the purina brand, I tried sheeps milk Perfect Form, you name it. NOTHING HELPED. A week on this I started seeing improvement.

#58818 Report Abuse
    Kayla

Thank you 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.