🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    deenibeeni
    Participant

I just read this in one of the reviews of a food I’m interested in: “In addition, a vocal minority insists yeast can increase the risk of developing the life-threatening condition known as bloat. However, this is a claim we’ve not been able to scientifically verify.”

That would apply to raw bread dough (baker’s yeast), not brewer’s yeast, which doesn’t produce the gas (CO2) you need to make bread rise.

I think brewer’s yeast is a great addition because of its nutritional content.

#14154 Report Abuse
    billhill
    Participant

I have used brewers yeast in vegetarian “people” recipes, and currently use it as one of the toppers for kibble for my two doggies. I used it for my previous dog as well, and he loved it. they have no digestive issues and absolutely love it. My beagle steals yeast whenever she can get it. (Same for salmon oil and for dried eggwhites)

Bill

#14217 Report Abuse
    Shawna

Betsy wrote
    “Can you tell me the difference between brewer’s yeast and yeast culture; and how they differ from the type of yeast that that makes up a yeast overgrowth?”

Brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are made from the same strain of yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but are grown on different mediums. Brewers yeast is a by-product from the brewing industry and is said to have a bitter or “yeasty” taste. Nutritional yeast is often grown on molasses and is described to have a nutty or cheesy taste. Depending on what they are grown on will vary the nutritional content of the final product to a degree. The yeast in these products are deactivate (killed) so they can not colonize the system.

It is my understanding that it is the deactivation process that frees the amino acids and creates the MSG like issues in these supplements. Fermentation, which is what the yeast does to the sugar mediums they are grown on, also creates some freed glutamic and aspartic acids. I think the amounts are relatively small but because freed glutamic and aspartic acids bioaccumulate, when added to other sources it definitely could be enough to cause illness. For those that are sensitive to MSG or aspartame, I would avoid nutritional and brewers yeasts.

There are also a few types of yeast that are considered probiotics Saccromyces boulardi is one and can be found in some probiotic products. Saccromyces is a “non-colonizing” yeast.

Candida yeast is the type that are normal to the colon and can grow out of proportion when the good bacteria are not in correct proportion.

There is another type of yeast, Malassezia, that grows on a dogs skin when the immune system is not up to par. I beleive Malassezia can infect the ears as well.

#14223 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Outstanding, Shawna!

It’s going to take me reading this several times in order to fully digest it.

I started a binder of important dog food information and am adding this to it. : )

Thank you dear… you’re awesome!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.