Boxer/Pit Mix Allergic, maybe even to raw diet..help!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Boxer/Pit Mix Allergic, maybe even to raw diet..help!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Taylor C

My poor boxer/pit mix has been battling allergies for years. We’ve made countless trips to the vet, been on round after round of steroids and antibiotics, and we’ve done allergy testing and injections as well. She’s been on so many rounds of medications, in fact, she developed mange because her immune system was so suppressed. So anyways, all that to say, we were fed up with medications and pricey kibble, so we switched to raw last year. We saw a slight improvement, more so in her energy level, but she’s still scratching. Like I mentioned, we had allergy tests done, so when selecting foods for her raw diet, I obviously stayed away from anything she is allergic too (mixed fish, corn, soybean, wheat, duck, and yeast). I feed her beef, green beans, black beans, and sweet potato or pumpkin. At each feeding, it add a TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar, as well as a probiotic and Curcumin. With her still being so itchy, I’m wondering if the produce is too starchy and creating yeast?
    And also, I asked my vet if (in relation to the beef I feed her) the cows are feeding on a grass or grain that she’s allergic to, could that indirectly affect her. My vet said it absolutely could, so what am I to do?!?! What protein can I give her that doesn’t feed on grass or grain?? I’m at a loss. And I really don’t want to put her on a kibble (my vet suggested Science Diet ZD) if I can help it but I’m almost wondering if a processed protein would actually affect her less? I don’t know! Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated…thank you!!!

#73998 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

By testing, do you mean IDT (Intra Dermal Test) ? ASIT helped my dog, however, it took over a year to see significant results.

The results of IDT (as well as a review of the pet’s medical history) can then inform comprehensive immunotherapy treatments to relieve suffering. Veterinary dermatologists rely on IDT to build customized treatment plans for patients called Allergen Specific Immuno Therapy or “ASIT” for short.

ASIT involves a series of injections specifically created for the allergic animal’s skin. These injections, of diluted allergens, are designed to make a pet less sensitive to their allergens over time. In most cases these injections must be continued for life to reduce symptoms, but they are highly effective. Seventy to 90 percent of pets experience a reduction in symptoms as a result of ASIT treatment. These treatments can be delivered even more easily via droplets under the tongue, perfect for pet owners who are squeamish about giving injections to their pet.

This treatment is very new to the North American field of medicine (both human and veterinary) and underscores just how far innovation in veterinary medicine has come.

#73999 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

The above is an excerpt from an article written by By Klaus Loft, DVM
    Angell Dermatology Service
    Entire article can be viewed here: /forums/topic/overwhelmed-with-choices-itchy-and-shedding-boxer/

#74001 Report Abuse
    Taylor C

Hi Red, thanks for the response. Yes, we had her tested (they drew blood, sent it off, and results came back listing everything she was allergic to) and then the vet gave us injections (that we draw up from vials designed for her based on results) and we’ve been doing that since October. I’ve heard it can take a while to see results but we just haven’t seen any improvement. With our luck, she’ll be the 20% that doesn’t respond to the injections. But even so, I’m hoping to make as many improvements in her food and environment as I can to help reduce the symptoms. Her food especially.

#74004 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I’m not talking about the blood test, my dog never had that, as the dermatologist said it wasn’t as reliable as the skin testing for environmental allergies (which appeared to be prominent). I didn’t have any food testing done.

Well, I hope you see some results soon.

#74009 Report Abuse
    Taylor C

Oh ok, I see. Yes, we did blood test and received results for food allergies and environmental/inhalants allergies. She’s allergic to several types of grasses, and while she’s not allergic to beef, I’m worried the grass or grain the cows are feeding on are indirectly affecting her in the beef she’s eating. And the same scenario for chicken (feeding on corn or grain), etc. It all just feels like a constant catch 22!

#74045 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, I saw a Naturopath 1 month ago as my boy has Skin problems & IBD from food/ allergies, Patch was put on Kangaroo mince 1 x broccoli head 2 x carrots 5 x celery sticks 1 x apple peeled, cut up then put thru a blender cause dogs cant digest raw veggies, so you need to blended & stopped just before the veggies become a pulp, then to 1 kilo mince, I added just 2-3 heap spoon of the blended veggies/fruit mix, I froze the rest of blended veggie/fruit mix into 3 spoon section & just took out & put in fridge when needed to add to the raw roo mince, I’m feeding beef mince now aswell.. roo for breakfast & beef for dinner….The naturopath has started Patch on an elimination diet & I haven’t added anything new in the diet yet just started another protein beef, I had to picked 1 protein kangaroo & 3-4 veggies & 2 fruits, less is best to start with, Patch had to stay on this diet for 1 month then I can add a new veggie & fruit.. I haven’t made another appointment yet, his smelly yeasty skin & red paws cleared up within 3 days of starting this raw elimination diet.. I also bath in Malaseb medicated shampoo as soon as he itches & started to smell, I haven’t needed to bath him for 1 month, Patch was having a bath every 5-7 days before

Do not feed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumkin, peas, & bananas they’re starchy veggies & fruit can cause itchy yeasty skin, my boy gets hive like lumps from potatoes & diarrhea, itchy ears & skin from sweet potatoes pumkin & banana… also try & stick with green veggies, broccoli, beans, celery, bok choy, zucchini etc ..I also added a digestive enzyme 1/2 capsule with breakfast the other 1/2 capsule with dinner ….Digestive enzymes help with allergies food/seasonal & yeast problems & strengthen their immune please read- http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/enzymes-for-dogs.html ….. stop everything & start again here’s the raw diet scroll down to bottom & click on “skin allergy diet”- http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/natural-diet.html

#74058 Report Abuse
    Taylor C

Thanks, Susan, that was helpful info! What digestive enzyme do you use? The article mentioned giving it with meals, 1 hour before or two hours after meals. Also, do you know if there are any disadvantages to feeding ground meet? For example, I’ve been buying ground beef, although I recently read beef is not great for dogs with yeasty skin issues, so I was thinking to switch to ground turkey. Thanks for the help!!

#74112 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I use “EPI Gastro Enzyme” it has Chinese herbs for Acid Reflux Burping stomach problems, the Naturopath just said open capsule & put 1/2 on his meal.. I use a lean grounded beef mince & the Kangaroo grounded mince its very low fat, I tried Turkey mince I mixed in a egg Patch had diarrhea, I don’t know if the diarrhea was from the Turkey mince or the egg so I don’t add egg to the beef or Kangaroo & he’s fine… Try the Turkey, try a protein that she has never eaten or hasn’t had it much…

#74155 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Taylor,
    what raw food was your dog eating?

#74166 Report Abuse
    Taylor C

Thanks, Susan!
    InkedMarie, I’ve been feeding her a mixture of ground beef, sweet potato or pumpkin, green beans, and black beans. I’m thinking the sweet potato and pumpkin are too starchy. And I read that beef is not good for dogs with skin allergies. I’m also worried the grass or grain or corn or whatever the livestock are feeding on is affecting her. My vet said that was very possible. I hate the thought of kibble but I’m not sure raw is working out for her either. Any suggestions??

#74167 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

That is not a balanced diet. If feeding raw, dogs need meat, organs and bone.
    Pre made raws are balanced or you can buy grinds from one of the online places (unless you have a co-op close by). Where do you live?

All dogs are different in their sensitivities/allergies. Some can eat beef, some can’t.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.