Blue Buffalo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jpjhooper
    Participant

Any word on this food? I keep seeing posts about dogs getting sick within the last 6 months. We feed him the Life Protection Formula with the Life Source bits as a secondary food source. Main food source is Grandma Lucys freeze dried chicken. We mostly use the dry kibble as “treats” for training as we thought it might be lower calorie then actual treats. Also if we happen to run out of GL then we supplement with BB until we can get to the store.

#24109 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I can only speak from my personal experiences. Last summer I ordered a bag of BB biscuits from Pet Food Direct and when I opened the bag there were bugs (the product wasn’t expired and there were no holes in the bag that I could see). A month or so later I purchase a bag of their cat food at a local feed store and when I opened it there was white mold all over the food (wasn’t expired and I couldn’t see where it had gotten wet). That same summer my friend got a new golden retriever puppy and tried to transition her to BB – the dog got really bad diarrhea and it cleared up as soon as she took the dog off BB. I then started reading on the negative reviews on this site and other sites and haven’t touched a BB product since. It’s too bad because they used to make really great stuff – I fed my cats BB for years. The company has really gone downhill though – imo.

#24110 Report Abuse
    jpjhooper
    Participant

Thanks HDM, I have never experienced what you have with the mold or bugs. He has not had any ill effects so far and he has been on it a couple of years. I believe this bag is ok since no adverse effects but will be looking for a replacement.
    There is just so much stuff out there that its hard to know what to use. Im guessing I could try anything on the 5 star list here and we should be good to go. This is really only about 10 to 20% of his daily intake so I could do away with it all together and just replace it with low cal treats since that is really what we use it for.

#24113 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

If the kibble is only 10-20% of his daily intake you could safely replace it with fresh foods such as tinned sardines, plain yogurt or kefir, lean pieces of leftover meat, low glycemic vegetables or eggs. This would be a much healthier option that kibble and could also be a good way to make sure some of your healthy leftovers don’t get wasted. 🙂

#24114 Report Abuse
    jpjhooper
    Participant

He does like carrots. What are the safest vegetables to give dogs on a daily basis? We treat him as we leave 2 x’s a day and then a little at bedtime.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.