šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lacy R

Has anyone had any issues with the buffalo blue chicken soft training treats? I got a 8 week old boston terrier puppy and thought it was the change in food causing his severe diarrhea. I called my breeder and we have actually been using the same food. I know it can be either the water or the treats giving him major diarrhea. He is scheduled to go to the vet on monday, but I was just wondering if anyone else had an issue with these treats?

#71984 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Blue has its share of problem including a very recent one. Google for the info that is from the last couple days. I won’t feed anything Blue.

#71985 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

ya guess they finally admitted that there was meat by-product in some of their foods and that it had not been correctly labeled on the bags. I don’t feed Blue either or get their treats at all anymore. My dog hated Blue Wilderness. Most people on here will not feed anything made by Blue.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Pitlove.
    #71988 Report Abuse
    Lacy R

ok than you for your input, I wont either after this even if its not the problem. I have googled and googled recalls on buffalo blue, but I havent seen anything relating to these treats. I am throwing these treats away as we speak!!!

#71989 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’m not a Blue user either, on principle.

It could also be stress or over-nutrition.

Did you just being her home?

#71991 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Regardless of whether or not it’s a Blue product, any treat or food could cause a dog to have diarrhea! It could be the best food made. All dogs are different and can tolerate different foods. I can give my dog one speck of a sardine and she’s got diarrhea almost immediately. My last dog couldn’t eat a kernel of popcorn without it giving him diarrhea! Always pay close attention to what you’ve added new to your dog’s diet. Also try one new thing at a time so you can quickly identify the culprit.

#71994 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have no idea if there was a recall on the Blue treats; pitlove told you a little about their recent trouble but google & you can find more. Why give that company a penny of your money?

#71996 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

somebodysme- are you really surprised that your dog can’t tolerate popcorn? not even sure why you would feed a dog popcorn at all. some dogs and cats will LET you know if the food is the culprit. My kitten as an example throws up instantly after she eats (this has happened only 2 times in her life) when she cant tolerate the food. And from there on out I simply stay after from that food because I don’t want to play russian roulette with her stomach.

From the sound of it the OP did pin-point that it could be the treats. Or it could be feeding TOO many treats, say because of a training class that uses a treat based reward system.

And Im with Marie on this one. Why throw away your money? Blue is one of the most overpriced 5 star foods out there for what it actually is. Their treats included. Theres much better choices out there that are 4 or 5 star quality.

#72010 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

pitlove, you don’t have to get snarky about it. This was probably 20 years ago and he only ate a couple pieces. Honestly, I think that people give dogs popcorn all the time and I really don’t find it to be HORRIFYING to give a dog a couple pieces of popcorn. I can certainly think of worse things to give them. MY POINT was that anything can give a dog diarrhea…ANYTHING AT ALL even things that the so called experts highly recommend for dogs.

Millions of people buy BB food and think it’s dandy and their dogs love it and are fine on it. They should have consulted pitlove first to get the expert advice.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by somebodysme.
    #72020 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Somebody’s me-
    For whatever it is worth, I share popcorn with my dogs on a regular basis. There has not been any ill effects from it. In fact, I think it helps “firm” them up. I also agree that the OP’s dog could be getting diarrhea from anything.

I also have fed Blue Wilderness in the past with no problems. I most likely won’t feed it anymore because 1.) Not a great value and 2.) Apparently they are lying about what is actually in the bag. For dogs with allergies or food intolerances, that could be a real big problem.

Lacy-
    How is your pup doing? Has it been dewormed yet? Has it gotten any vaccinations lately?

#72099 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

somebodysme- see a doctor about a chill pill. I have fed BB and my dog didnt have side effects either. however he stopped eating it one day. i think you missed the point where i mentioned how BB is very overpriced and they have been dishonest for a year about what is in their food. me and many other people do not like giving money to a company who can’t even be honest about what is in their bags. it’s not my “expert advice” its my opinion. and i’m not alone in the feeling. plently of people on this site and in this thread dont feed BB anymore.

c4c (who I respect on here) and you might have given your dogs popcorn in the past but its not one of the human foods i choose to share with my dog. again my opinion. and it’s also my opinion that im not surprised he got an upset stomach with all the butter on popcorn. not saying its dangerous for them to eat just saying i can see how their stomach could get upset from it. no reason for the temper tantrum.

#72103 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

I’ve never fed Blue Buffalo, but my cousin did. Her dog (Pit bull) drank water like their was no tomorrow. She would drink a large bowl in like less than a minute, and when you refilled it, she would drink it again. She switched brands and the excessive drinking stopped. They purposely lie about what’s in their food. And with the crazy amount of drinking my cousin’s dog did, I do not trust their food at all.

#72251 Report Abuse
    Lacy R

My pup is doing much better. Didn’t give him anymore of those treats and once he got it out of his system his stools are normal now. Yes my pup has had vaccinations and is dewormed. Just got more vaccinations yesterday. And there was no change to his diet because I’m giving him the same food he’s been on which is science diet for puppies. So the treats were the only thing different other than the fact that we have well water. I’ll find a better treat alternative in a few weeks when he is older. And I only gave him the treats when he would go potty outside. Thanks for all feedback!

#72252 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Glady to hear your pup is doing better!

#72263 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

glad to hear hes doing better! Im really careful with treats usually. the only ones ive got in the house at the moment are PureBites freezed dried raw treats. there is only 1 ingredient and they are made in the USA. I use the turkey breast for my kitten and beef liver for the dog. you can break them up into smaller pieces for training if you still are giving treats for pottying outside.

#72279 Report Abuse
    Lacy R

Thanks everyone, and I will look into those treats

#73017 Report Abuse
    Bea

I have an 11 week old puppy and I have tried Cloud Star Chicken and Zukes training treats and they both gave him soft stools to almost diarrhea. I don’t know what to use to train him maybe just his dog kibble.

#73020 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I don’t know much about Cloud Star, however I do know Zuke’s just got bought out by Purina, so they might have started adding cheaper ingredients. The only treats I feed in my house hold (if they get treats) are freeze dried raw treats you can get at places like Petco called PureBites. Its just one ingredient (i do turkey breast for the kitten and beef liver for the dog), made in the USA etc. They can be broken into smaller pieces to use for training. i used them for clicker training my kitten.

PS just realized I mentioned these treats in my above post

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.