Blue Buffalo (Duplicate Topic #5)

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Blue Buffalo (Duplicate Topic #5)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kota ACD

We just bought a bag of Blue Buffalo Life Protection Chicken and Brown Rice Small Bite. Our blue heeler seemed to really enjoy her first feeding. The concern is my recent internet search on the food that has turned up 100s of reviews (many from as recent as this month) talking about vomiting and diarrhea that the owners feels is associated with Blue Buffalo. We are hoping that we can get some thoughts and experiences that you may have had with this brand! Please share your story!! Also thoughts on other foods…. we want to be sure we are feeding our baby the best food possible! THANKS!!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Mike Sagman. Reason: Fix Duplicate Topic Title
    #69536 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Blue Buffalo is not a trustworthy company at all, for exactly the reasons you see in the reviews. They don’t care that they are making animals sick, and even killing them, with their food. I would suggest Wellness CORE. My 11 and 12 year olds love the Puppy formula :p

#69615 Report Abuse
    Kota ACD

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately we had already given her one meal of Blue Buffalo on Thursday evening. She had two bouts of diarrhea on Friday afternoon! =(
    Thursday was the ONLY time she ate the Blue Buffalo and the diarrhea seems to be done however she has vomited three times sometime during the night (Fri night into Sat morn). Could this still be from the Blue Buffalo on Thurs. evening? If so could one serving do enough harm that I should bring her to the vet? She ate fine last evening (a mix of 1/2 her old food and 1/2 CANIDAE). We are considering Canidae…. Thoughts?????

#69620 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I wouldn’t use Blue Buffalo products at all. My concern about Canidae is that it’s made by Diamond. Some, but not all, of their Pure line is made at their own manufacturing facility, Ethos, but you have no way of knowing what you’re getting for sure. I infrequently use Canidae Pure Sky in rotation for one of my dogs with lots of food intolerance issues, but I’m hyper-vigilant when I do. It’s one of a very small handfull of foods he can eat.

That said, if your dog isn’t accustomed to switching quickly, loose stool isn’t at all unusual if you made a quick switch without a transition. I’d switch back to whatever she was eating before the Blue Buffalo until the loose stool stops. I’d add some canned pumpkin to help firm up the stool. I’d probably also skip her next meal altogether. When things have settled down, I’d switch slowly to the new food. By slowly, I mean no more than 25% new and 75% old for several days and I’d only increase the ratio of new to old when the stool quality is good for several days. Canned pumpkin is your friend when changing foods especially if your dog isn’t accustomed to switching.

What food was your dog eating before the Blue Buffalo? Are you looking for suggestions for new foods?

#69636 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Kota, hi. I fed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy to my dog for a few months after we first got him. He did very well, if I must say, but honestly, I would probably not feed it again… Too many other good, more affordable foods out there for me to want to pay for a questionable food like that.

#69652 Report Abuse
    Kota ACD

We definitely will not be using Blue Buffalo anymore! The big question is what our next choice will be!! It seems like every time I find a new with a good rating to try I read hours and hours of bad reviews! Sad to say but actually thinking of returning to Pedigree! Had a German Sheppard that ate it for all 16 years of her life without a single health issue and our current 4 year old baby ate it without any problem for the first 2 1/2 – 3 years of her life! =(

#69653 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Ugh to Pedigree 🙁

My first recommendation would be to join Editor’s Choice and look at the brands there-they go much deeper into the brands themselves and not just the ingredients and GA as the reviews are.

Next, don’t stick yourself onto one brand. Rotation is great, and important. Find multiple brands you like, and use em all. I personally have 3 brands that are in every rotation (I do about 6 bags of food in one “rotation”) and try to incorporate at least 1 other brand every 6 bags or so. Mix up protein sources, binders, what veggies are in there… and brands.

Where do you shop? Petsmart/Petco? Feed Stores? Smaller Pet supplies places? That helps with recommending something solid for your pup

#69654 Report Abuse
    Kota ACD

Shopping options include: Petsmart/Petco; Fleet Farm; Chuck and Dons; Walmart

#69658 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Chuck and Dons have plenty of great options, I haven’t lived near a fleet farm so i haven’t been there in about 15 years.

A few that I like from C+D: Fromm, Earthborn, Orijen, Acana-among others. just be careful on Diamond manufacturing at least 3 brands i saw on their website-Taste of the Wild, Canidae, and Solid Gold (not all varieties-i use Barking at the Moon). They have other great options as well, and some raw food

Petsmart: Nulo, Nature’s Variety, Wellness

Walmart: Pure Balance

#69659 Report Abuse
    Kota ACD

^ Thank you!

#69661 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Kota,
    one of the reasons your dog isn’t doing well on Blue is the fact he’s been on it for years. Thats one of the problems whhen not changing food.I wouldn’t use Pedigree, it is not a good food at all.

#69662 Report Abuse
    Kota ACD

This was her first time eating Blue Buffalo.

#69678 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Kota,
    You misunderstand. I mean that one reason he’s not doing good on Blue (or any other food) is because he has been on the same food for 2.5 to 3 years.

#69685 Report Abuse
    Kota ACD

=) Sorry! My misunderstanding!

#102527 Report Abuse
    joanne l

blue is nothing but lies period.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.