šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ashlee S

I’m stuck. I have a 4 month old bloodhound puppy named boone. I’ve owned bloodhounds before but Boones tummy is presenting a problem. I cannot get Boones poop normal. It’s still a squishy green color. He’s been on wellness puppy for large breed for about a month now. Boones pretty active during the day, he come to work with me and plays with dogs for atleast an hour everyday. And at home he continues to play. He’s 38 pounds right now, he’s been check by my vet at work and has been cleared healthy. Im at a loss on what food to try now. I need a large breed puppy food that is grain free. Any suggestions?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Ashlee S.
    #74659 Report Abuse
    bigthree
    Participant

Not sure if your aware of this but wellness is putting greentree extract in some of there formulas which can damage the dogs liver so check the ingredients. If its not that he might have a food allergy or a inner chemical in balance. You might want to talk to your vet but don’t let them sell you on a prescription brand let them know you would rather go the holistic route first.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by bigthree.
    #74673 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Ashlee-
    Squishy green poop sounds like Giardia to me. Has your get specifically tested for Giardia and/or Coccidia? A stool sample should be sent to a lab to check for them. Sometimes it takes a couple of samples to find it because it can be intermittent.

Unfortunately, Giardia is pretty common. Especially in mild climates like the Pacific Northwest. Hope you find a solution. My dogs do well on grain free Victor.

#74681 Report Abuse
    Ashlee S

Thanks for the responses. He’s been vet checked but we haven’t done a fecal on him yet, going to do that next week. I work at a vet clinic and I have seen some dogs with Giardia and I don’t think that’s the problem. I watched him poop this morning and they are a little more firm less green today. I’ve owned a bloodhound in the past with a similar stomach problem with allergy to grain so I think that’s what It might be. The hard thing is finding a grain free large breed puppy food that is high quality. :/

#74685 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Did you check the Editor’s Choice recommended puppy food list that includes large breed pups? There are some great choices on that list. Btw, I’d get the fecal ASAP.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.