šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lynne P

Hello, I’m new to this forum and I’m looking for Help / suggestions. Trixie is a 10 to Sheppard/ golden mix that just had pexi surgery 4 months ago. she is also allergic to grains and any meat like chicken and Turkey. if it has feathers, we avoid it. been on fish and potatoes x 3 months as well as meds with no gas but weight loss. vet recommended trying to transition her to a grain free beef diet but gas came back as today was a emergency rush to vet and regulan to expel gas. at a loss of trying to find a grain free, non poultry, low fat, low gas diet. home cooking currently. any suggestions are helpful.

#129174 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I hope everything is okay, the only suggestion I can think of is adding pro and prebiotics to her food I hope some one here will help with a food suggestion. If I see any I will let you know. I found on chewy, Nutro Limited Ingredient diet lamb and sweet potatoe. Protein is 22% and fat is 12% and fiber is I think 3.5%. What brand was he eating? If the brand you use doesn’t cause gas I would stick with that and add some fresh beef *boil it and drain the fat) and give with dry food for weight gain.

Ask your vet about fiber content in dry food, I think too much fiber is not good but it depends on the dog. I would think too much fiber can cause gas. I know yogurt will help too. Give a tablespoon with meals.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by joanne l.
    #129188 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

For the weight loss, please go to your vet for a full blood panel test as reduced nutrients could lead to other issues.

Second, do this test for allergic triggers in food and environment: https://glacierpeakholistics.com/collections/frontpage/products/pet-wellness-life-stress-scan-1?variant=38717885892

Third, no more potatoes, of any kind, any color, in any thing. Very bad ingredient used by many as a filler in dog foods. Causes harmful gas and bloat.

Look into the Zignature line of dry, limited ingredient kibble. Many to choose from. Over feed. Rather your pet eat enough and leave some in the bowl, then underfed since you don’t know which meats his allergic to.

#129214 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lynne,
    My boy has IBD I feed him,
    “Wellness Simple Turkey & Potato” formula, there’s a “Wellness Simple Salmon & Potato formula”.

Look at
    * – Wellness Simple – https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natural-dog-food/product-catalog/simple-limited-ingredient-salmon-potato-recipe

* – Canidae Pure Wild Boar- https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products/canidae-grain-free-pure-wild-dry-formula

My boy does really well on the “Canidae Pure Boar” dry kibble aswell, it’s pork, a lean white meat, Pork is really good for dogs who suffer with food sensitivities, dog foods dont normally have pork in them, as its not a cheap meat, they mainly add Chicken meat, chicken is a cheaper meat, chicken is also a cleaner meat, so chicken is used more in dog foods, Pork is worth a try she probably hasnt eaten pork before so chances she wont react..

It’s not always the meat protein the dog is reacting too, meat doesn’t have fiber they normally are reacting to the protein in the grain, veggies, lentils, legumes etc another ingredients in the dog food..

Best to do a food elimination diet this way you’ll know 100% what your girl is sensitive too..

My boy gets BAD wind & sloppy Mr Whippy poo when he eats Barley, Tapioca, Corn Gluten Meal, Lentils, its not the meats…
    Just make sure when you do get a new kibble, slowly introduce over 10 to 14 days, at first my boy has wind when I introduce a new kibble but after 1-2 weeks it goe away…

You need to check the Kcals per cup when a dog needs to lose weight they always recommend feeding under 350kcals per cup kibble, what were the Kcals per cup she was eating when she lost weight? Also what meds is she taking, this could be why she is losing weight??
    Wellness Simple is over 400 kcals per cup same as the Canidae Pure Boar it’s over 400Kcals per cup, always read the feeding amounts all kibbles variey some kibble formula’s you dont need to feed as much….

I was watching Ellen today, she feeds her dogs “Gentle Giants” dog food..

* Here’s Natural Gentle Giants World Class Canine Nutrition Salmon Feast Dog Food – 18lbs
    Salmon Feast – https://shop.gentlegiantsdogfood.com/natural-gentle-giants-world-class-canine-nutrition-salmon-feast-dog-food—18lbs-p3.aspx

* Here’s Natural Gentle Giant wet can 90% Salmon wet food, the fat is only 1% fat, so when you convert the wet can food fat that’s only 4-5%-fat.. thats pretty good for a wet can food they’re normally very high in fat unless you buy a vet diet low fat wet can formula..
    https://shop.gentlegiantsdogfood.com/natural-gentle-giants-world-class-canine-nutrition-canned-dog-food—90-salmon—case-of-12-cans-p10.aspx

Just be careful if you feed a wet can food, the fat%, protein%, fiber% hasn’t been converted to dry matter (Kibble) yet, so if a wet can says fat-5%min, when you convert 5%min fat that’s around 20%min to 26%max fat%…

Good Luck with your girl, it gets scary when they get sick especially when they get Bloat..

#129215 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Lynne

Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes help firm a dog poos & soothe their stomach & bowel, excellent for upset tummy, a dog only reacts to potato when the dog is sensitive to potato which is rare…
    Vet diets use potato for this this reason, dogs don’t normally react to potato or sweet potatoes, dogs who suffer with Intestinal stress & food sensitivities do really well on a potato or sweet potato when added to their diet, vet diets have been studied & researched….

Lentils, Chickpeas, high legume diets can cause bad intestinal stress, bad wind, diarrhea etc so just be careful, if the dry/wet food is high in legumes, also they think Legumes are blocking the dog from absorbing Taurine causing heart problems with some dogs at the moment…
    When my boy ate a dry kibble that had lentils he got bad gas/wind then bad diarrhea for 1 week it was awful & when he eats chickpeas they have to be further down the ingredient around 5th 6th ingredient list, he’ll have a bit of wind/farts for 1 weeks then he’s OK….
    Alot of dogs who have IBS, IBD Bloat can’t handle a high legume diet so just becareful..

#129241 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Regarding:
    “Second, do this test for allergic triggers in food and environment”: (glacierpeakholistics)
    /forums/search/glacier+peaks/

Glacier Peak Holistics Pet Wellness Life Scan Stress Test or How Much BS Can Fit on One Web Page?

Hair and Saliva Test for Allergies are Worthless Pseudoscience

Regarding:
    “Look into the Zignature line of dry, limited ingredient kibble”.

Ask your vet, most vets are recommending feeding a grain-inclusive food at least till the results of the investigation are in.

Itā€™s Not Just Grain-Free: An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy

#129242 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Ask your vet if there is a prescription food/diet that he would recommend for your dog’s specific medical condition.

Have you consulted with a veterinary nutritionist, maybe your vet could recommend one.

#129243 Report Abuse
    Lynne P

thank you soo much for the advice. since we have had her have known her to be allergic to grains through process of elimination in her diet (ear discharge, paw chewing, itching). we knew chicken allergies but as she has become older, is now any meat with a feathered source. we were transitioning her from a cooked fish / potatoe diet for gut and allergies but had weight loss. went to beef (lean ) and rice and got her weight up but trying to find a long term food solution. tried nutro lamb wet, got gas and the vet yesterday. tried avoderm but had the Turkey here and set off her allergies. vet recommended beef or venison. so beef and rice with regulon until we can sort this. you all have given good suggestions so will do some reading, thank you again.

#129258 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Lynne. another one is Health Extensions Venison grain free look it up on chewy. Looks like a great food I might try it later on. Good Luck! Please read about yogurt for gas. The weight loss is from feeding just fish and potatoe. Fish as you know can make us loose weight if eating on daily basis. Keep up the beef and rice until you find something and when you do, please do it slowly, because if you don’t any dog can get gas or upset tummy. So when trying a new food, give her the homemade beef and rice then a tablespoon or 2 of dry food mixed in for a couple of days, then increase it to 1/4 of cup and hold it there for a few days and so on. Be patient because slow and steady wins the race.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.