🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    moxie
    Participant

What is the lowest calorie, lowest carb, highest protein grain-free kibble and canned dog food. I am currently feeding Premium Edge Healthy Weight Reduction. Is there anything better?

#24259 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Premium Edge Healthy Weight Reduction is a good food as far as weight loss foods go – unfortunately it’s manufactured by Diamond. 🙁 This would prevent me from ever using or recommending it. In my opinion, as far as kibble goes, the best formulas designed for weight loss are Annamaet’s Lean, Wellness CORE Reduced Fat and EVO Weight Management. I’d urge you to consider a canned, dehydrated or raw food instead of kibble. Canned, dehydrated and raw foods are less processed, higher in moisture and (generally) higher in protein than kibble making them healthier and more species-appropriate options. They are also great for weight loss because, due to their high moisture content, they are less calorically dense than kibble. As a general rule, most dehydrated foods contain roughly the same number (or only slightly more) calories per cup than a high quality kibble, however they are rehydrated with 1.5 parts water to 1 part mix making an end product with less than half the calories per cup as most kibbles. 1 large can of good (about 13 fl. oz.) will contain roughly the same number of calories as 1 C. (8 fl. oz.) of kibble – with the “stew” varieties generally having slightly more moisture and less calories than the “loaf” varieties. Most lowfat raw foods contain nearly 50% less calories per cup than kibble.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #24262 Report Abuse
    moxie
    Participant

I currently feed my toy fox terrier twice a day–One tablespoon of Premium Edge and One tablespoon of canned Dogswell Happy Hips as a “topper”. In the past I have fed EVO, but it was recalled. I have also fed Wellness Core Reduced Fat. Will look into Annamaet’s lean. It doesn’t take much food for a 6.4 lb. dog, so I want to feed the best. She should probably weigh around 5.5 pounds. Thanks for responding.

#24263 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Diamond has had way more recalls than Natura has, so if you’re concerned about recalls I’d definitely look into switching off the Premium Edge. Annamaet is a wonderful company and their products have never been recalled. They have great customer service so call or email them if you have any questions about their products. If you can’t find the products locally, Chewy.com carries Annamaet and has free shipping on orders over $49.

#24270 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Epigen kibble is very low carb and pretty low in fat too. So is Weruva canned food.

#24271 Report Abuse
    moxie
    Participant

Pugmomsandy–Do you buy the Epigen kibble over the internet? Which one do you feed? Do you “top” the Epigen with the Weruva?

#24272 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I bought Epigen from the Wysong website. I use various canned foods as toppers. As far as foods for weight loss goes, I’ve never fed low fat, just normal. I have pugs so they gain weight easily and I get obese fosters too but they still lose weight on regular (5 star grain free) kibble and regular fat canned foods and even home made raw food in which I leave the skin on.

Also I wanted to point out (if you didn’t know yet) about the “body condition score”. You should take this into account as well, not just weight alone. That being said, my pugs are heavy but not fat. They are very strong and muscular. They look like some of my other fosters that weigh 17-20 lbs. They gained weight when I started feeding them higher protein kibble and raw food.

This one is 23 lbs but does not need a diet! For me, I only go by body condition. And he’s been wearing that harness for a couple years whether he was 18 or 23. That photo was last year so he does have new harnesses!

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u651/pugmomsandy/pictures%20for%20posting/IMG_2697640x479_zpsbe52d943.jpg

#24273 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The one on the left has poor body condition, where the one on the right needs to put on a lb or two.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u651/pugmomsandy/pictures%20for%20posting/IMG_28831024x768_zps49daa9d5.jpg

I would take measurements of your dog and keep a log of it and his weight over time.

#24274 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I fed the Epigen Fish.

#24275 Report Abuse
    moxie
    Participant

Thanks for the info Pugmom! I’m going to buy some Epigen and Weruva.

#24384 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I used Wellness Core reduced fat to an obese dog we adopted. Worked like a charm!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.