๐Ÿฑ NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Shasta220

As some of you know, I’m starting a little treat-making business to sell at farmers markets.

I am horrible at coming up with catchy names, so I’d like your help! The name needs to be:
    No more than 3-5 words long
    Something to let people know they’re healthy, holistic, organic, etc but not necessarily using those words
    May include a name: Shasta, Cassy, or Loki (I’d rather no name unless it just sounds so darn good)
    If you have several name suggestions, please post!

To further give you an idea, here are some of my flavor names:
    -Lucky Loki’s Lifesavers (promotes fresh breath and digestive health w herbs, chlorophyll, and charcoal)
    -Coat Care (with coconut oil, flax, fish oil, etc.)
    -Green Goodness (with various green veggies)
    -Pumpkin Flax
    -Classic Peanut Butter
    -Apple n’ Oat

Not too motivated to help me? I’m offering a prize to the winner! Whoever makes the best name will win a free pet-drawing! Sorry, I won’t mail you one, but I will draw it and post the drawing for you. Here are a few of my pet portraits (I only do dogs. No cats, birds, reptiles, etc)
    Otto photo Otto10-13-11.jpg
    Classic Mutt photo 053.jpg
    Shasta photo 008.jpg

#37436 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Shasta, congrats on still working on the treat business and taking it out to the markets soon!

Some names that would probably catch my attention at a farmers’ market would be:

~ Happy Healthy Yums/Happy Healthy Noms/Happy Healthy Yum Bits (or Happy Healthy Dog Treats/Happy Healthy Dogs/Happy Healthy Pooches)

~ Come! Sit! Treat!

~ Longevity Enhancers (or Longevity Enhancing Dog Treats)

~ Little Helpers, or Little Helpers for the Dog’s Health and Happiness (I know, too many words, but oh well)

~ Healthy Bits of Yumminess

~ It’s A Dog’s Life (or It’s Your Dog’s Life) – this may come out as too serious, IDK.

~ Delicious Organic Goodness (spells “DOG”, lol), or Delicious Organic Goodness BitS (for “DOGS”, with a little imagination).

I may come up with more later too, but that’s it for now. ๐Ÿ™‚

#37446 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Oh my gosh! I’m loving them so far…..I’ll give you another day to try coming up with some more that I might like, but two thumbs up, girl!!!!!!!

#37449 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Glad I can help! ^_^

#37450 Report Abuse
    Dori

How about something simple and to the point:
    Cassy and Loki’s Healthy Dog Treats

if appropriate with some they could be:
    Cassy and Loki’s Grain Free Dog Treats

or, if appropriate:
    Cassy and Loki’s Healthy Organic Dog Treats

Depends on which if any will be grain free or organic ingredients or in the instance of the Apple and Oats could be just Cassy and Loki’s Healthy Dog Treats

#37451 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Sadly they’ll all be grain inclusive (although I need to buy some potato starch and experiment), but I like your straight forward approach! I don’t have resources to do all organic, but I figured doing even 50-70% of the ingredients organic, nobody would complain much.

Oh, and just for clarity: Shasta is the name of one of my dogs as well, not me ;D my name is Carlyn. I have always used “Shasta220” as my username for almost every internet account, that’s why it’s my username.

Edit: they’re grain inclusive, but I’m keeping corn/wheat out for sure. There’s another local treat seller at the farmers markets, and he’s been around for a while. He gears towards just the flavors…all but one flavor has wheat as the #1 ingredient, and they use milk powder, egg, bacon fat, then whatever other flavors…personally, I wouldn’t feed em to my sensitive pups. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that dog owners around here are going to be as picky about treat ingredients as I am.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Shasta220.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Shasta220.
    #37486 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I think my favorite name will have to be Delicious Organic Goodness. I think I’ll change it to D.O.Goodies, though. Congrats, Aleksandra! Message or post a favorite pic of your dog on here and I’ll draw him! =D

#37490 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Shasta. You had mentioned that you don’t have resources to do all organic. If that’s still the case than you might not want to have Organic in the name.

#37492 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I think it’ll be fine as long as I keep the majority of it organic. I’ve seen lots of things labeled as organic when only 20-60% of the ingredients are. At least 60% of my ingredients will be. I’ll be sure to mark whether or not an ingredient is organic, too.

#37493 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I would not have organic in the name if they are not all organic. That’s misrepresentation.

#37494 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks, Marie. I was beginning to question my own thinking. Those were my thoughts exactly. I know as a consumer that purchases organic I would seriously be annoyed if all ingredients were not organic. It’s what your expecting when you purchase a product that has Organic in it’s name. When I got Shasta’s reply I thought maybe it was my way of thinking and not others but I really did think that most people who shop and purchase organic anything are expecting just that.

#37500 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Thanks, Shasta! I am thrilled to get a Bruno portrait, I sent you some pics on FB.

As for the “Organic” statement, I think it should be fine as long as you specify in the treat description what is NOT organic, idk…

#37504 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Is organic for dog food the same as people food? If so, you can’t call something that isn’t 100% certified organic

#37507 Report Abuse

In order to use the labeling of “Made with Organic Ingredients”, the food/treat MUST be at least 70 percent organic. For the term USDA Organic, it must be 95 percent Organic.

#37509 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Locally made is a good word that gets people’s attention

#37523 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I think it’ll be fine if it’s just the name, and I say made with organic ingredients. I might come up with another name if you guys are having such a fit, though…

Like I say, I’ve seen “organic” slapped on a lot of labels, when only a few of the ingredients were actually organic…

#37524 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

An example of my treats….here are ingredients for the PB: organic flour (rice and/or oat), ground peanuts, organic duck and/or chicken eggs, organic unrefined coconut oil

#37526 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Carlyn, I think you will be fine to say “Organic” in the name, especially since you plan to use “at least 60% of the ingredients” organic, and if you manage to make that 70%, then I wouldn’t worry about it at all. ๐Ÿ™‚

These would be a small (for now), local business, so I think it should be just fine! ๐Ÿ™‚

#37532 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I think you need to list whether its rice OR oat flour and duck OR chicken eggs. Some people may have dogs that can’t have rice but can have flour and can have duck but not chickens.

#37541 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Because sometimes it’s both, and other times it’s just one or the other. I’ll have options available that will be more “reliable” ingredient-wise, with no “and/or”, and I’m looking around for garbanzo flour to do grain free! Doubt I’ll use it to replace /all/ grain flour, but at least in a couple. My “competitor” is nowhere near that. All treats have dairy, and only one /doesn’t/ have wheat #1. instead, he uses rice.

The reason being for the eggs is because we own chickens and ducks. Sometimes we have more of one egg in the house, and the flour is a texture issue. It never quite turns out the same, so I have to change the mix just a little bit.

Dogs around here don’t seem to be allergic to much more than the basic wheat/corn/soy (if they are, then their owners are completely unaware). Every dog I’ve met has a treat like milk bone, Purina, Ol Roy, etc. So I’m not too worried about losing potential customers over grain and eggs.

Thank you for the concern. If it raises an issue, then I’ll either scratch the recipe, or fix it so I can keep it always constant ๐Ÿ™‚

#37918 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Just came up with a new one! Still working out the bugs since the treats are very soft, and I want as much moisture out as possible (so they last longer)

I call it “Savory Sweet Potato”. Ingredients: sweet potatoes, flour (oat, but I will buy some garbanzo to make them GF), chicken heart, carrot, parsley, coconut oil, garlic.

I know, I didn’t mark anything as organic – that’s because this was just a test batch, and I used whatever was available in the kitchen, so I’m unsure what was/wasn’t organic. When I make them “for real”, I’m hoping to make at least 80% organic ๐Ÿ™‚

They do smell divine though, that’s for sure! My dad almost ate them when they came out of the oven! (He didn’t….as he made the mistake to eat a PB dog cookie last week!)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.