🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    EmilyAnn
    Participant

Hi All!

We FINALLY successfully got all the weight off our dachshund mix (it was TORTURE). Our vet suggested we supplement the dog food with pumpkin (or green beans, but he hates green beans) while he’s losing weight, so he has been getting a rotational raw frozen commercial diet with roughly 1-1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin at every meal. I would like to diversify his diet with some other vegetables, and here are my questions:

1. What are the best Low Glycemic Vegetables to feed a dog on a daily basis?
    2. Is it safe to continue to give him pumpkin every day?

He also get fish oil every day and coconut oil every other day.

Thanks for your time!
    Emily

#82144 Report Abuse
    El

Hi EmilyAnn

Congratulations on slimming down your little cutie pie 😉

It’s safe to give your pup pumpkin every day. If you’re looking for a variety of healthy snacks, you could try broccoli, apples, carrots, bananas, homemade jerky, kefir, eggs, ???

The key is moderation, so even things like carrots, apples, bananas, and any other non low glycemic fruits or veggies can be enjoyed for variety, antioxidants, and just because he likes them. Eggs are the “perfect protein” and my dogs like them, plain kefir is a good probiotic, but it is dairy, homemade jerky is high protein and very yummy.

Variety is good, try a lot of things, make sure the total of ALL his treats are not more than 10 to 15% of his diet, so you don’t unbalance what I hope is his balanced commercial raw. When you try new things give very little so if it doesn’t agree with him it’s only minor.

One of mine ONLY eats homemade chicken jerky, no turkey, no fish, no beef, no bullies, no veggies, nothing but chicken jerky, for treats anyway. You think he’s spoiled? 😉

Congratulations again on his successful weight loss! I know he must have acted like you were starving him.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.