šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michelle Tommy
    Participant

I have an 8 week old american bulldog that I was told to feed blue buffalo wilderness puppy but it’s causing loose stools. The vet says he’s healthy and worm free and suggested science diet which I won’t give. I’ve been reading up on the foods and I am so confused. Can someone please help me find a good food for my pup. I don’t mind the cost.

#25415 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Look at Earthborn Holistic, Nature’s Variety Instinct, Nature’s Logic, and Brother’s Complete.

#26163 Report Abuse
    GSDGuy
    Participant

Would canidae large breed/all life stages puppy food be a wise choice to buy I see its a 3 star rated food

#26868 Report Abuse
    dmmal
    Participant

Hello

I am in Ontario and pet value has now Earthborn yeah. For my large puppy it will be grain free Coastal Catch and Meadow Feast correct. If we are looking at food rotation for my large puppy can you tell me if the following kibbles would be ok:
    Now Fresh for large puppy
    Wellness Core for Puppy
    Earthborn Coastal and Meadow Feast any other with that brand
    Orijen maybe , he had gas and loose stool with it.

What do you think of:
    Go grain free for puppy
    Merrick grain free, they have 5 any I should not buy
    Horizon Legacy for puppy
    From grain free they have 5 any I should not buy.
    Acana grain free

Thanks for the help

#26895 Report Abuse
    2dogmom
    Participant

Hi,
    I see you have Nature’s Logic mentioned however I’ve seen recent posts about high calcium – maybe too high for large breed puppies. Does anyone know if there is true cause for concern?

#27022 Report Abuse
    MsDad
    Participant

2dogmom, I feed NL to my Goldendoodle puppy. Give them a call and ask to speak with Scott (he’s the owner and will talk with anyone who calls!). He can explain why the higher calcium & phosphorous levels are not harmful much better than I can. But in a nutshell, they don’t add additional Vitamin D3 to their foods. All the vitamins and minerals come from natural food sources and don’t cause overabsorption of calcium.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by MsDad.
    #27452 Report Abuse
    Monica
    Participant

This is of great concern to me as well as Ihave received various stories of protein levels verses calcium/phosphorous ratios. I am feeding my almost 6 month old Alaskan malamute Acana Pacifica for about a month now. This week he was diagnosed with growing pains. Could the food be contributing to this. Is he growing too fast? He did have a growth spurt of 4 lbs in a week but prior to this only gained 2 pounds in the previous 3. Fed Acana the whole time.

#27458 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Monica, go to the Diet and Health issues sub forum here. At the top, click the link for the food for large breed puppies, there is a link of the appropriate foods on page 15. Acana isn’t on there.

#27459 Report Abuse
    Monica
    Participant

Well that scares me. Thanks!

#29045 Report Abuse
    cherikeeusa
    Participant

I will be getting my large-breed puppy in about a month. My pup is a Goldendoodle, a Golden Retriever/Standard Poodle mix; they are well known to have a propensity toward grain allergies. I would like to provide a rotational diet for him, adding homemade meals (Sojo balanced) as well as grain-free, white potato-free dry foods topped with canned foods, sardines, etc. Can anybody help me with what sort of time-table for changing up his meals should be? Also, I’ve seen someplace that pork is a definite no-no, and chicken has a fairly high risk of allergy. True? Or…? In addition, any suggestions you might have for which brands I should start with would be very helpful. A full dietary plan would rock since I know next to nothing! LOL! I know…newbies suck right?!

#29046 Report Abuse
    MsDad
    Participant

Cherikeeusa, right now I’m feeding Nature’s Logic kibble to my F1 Goldendoodle but I’m getting ready to switch him to a raw diet. I’ve been doing a LOT of research and raw greatly reduces the risk of bloat. Pork and chicken are both fine for dogs. I’m looking at Tucker’s Bones as my raw diet and it is pork-based.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.