Best food to reduce Lipomas

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Best food to reduce Lipomas

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Deb B

Hi..our 12 year old lab, has developed a pretty sizeable fatty lump on her side that is starting to affect her walk , balance etc. So I’m finally realizing that her diet plays a big part in this. Any suggestions on best food brand to help reduce growth of this and prevent others? Thanks!

#78277 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Diet? Have you seen a veterinary oncologist? They may have some treatment recommendations for her….. after a thorough physical examination, diagnostic testing, and review of her medical history.
    PS: I am assuming your dog is receiving treatment by a veterinarian, what do they suggest?

#78278 Report Abuse
    Deb B

She has an excellent vet, and does not have cancer. He has been watching this lump for a while, and is suggesting we consider surgical removal. I’d like to avoid that if possible.

#78279 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I would get the thing removed if your vet thinks she can tolerate the surgery. You said it is affecting her ability to walk, thereby causing discomfort.
    I know of no food or diet that will make it go away….
    Best of luck, with whatever you decide.

#78281 Report Abuse
    Deb B

Thanks for your input!!

#78284 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Deb B-

I’m in total agreement with Red! If your dog can tolerate it, (being that she is 12), and your vet is suggesting it, I would consider surgery as well. My furry niece had a lump that kept getting bigger and bigger, then finally interfered with one of her internal organs and became inoperable. She ended up having to be put down as she could not longer eat.

Please do not blame yourself. There is no way to know what caused the lump. Sometimes it just happens, just like in humans. Best of luck to you and whatever you and your vet decide is best for your gal.

#78288 Report Abuse
    Deb B

Thanks crazy4cats! Surgery just makes me nervous because of her age, but as I mentioned, she is otherwise in really good shape. If this will help her quality of life ( and we think she has a few years left!) in terms of mobility etc., I think we will probably opt for having it removed…we really trust our vet…he has never been one to suggest costly stuff unless he felt it necessary, so I will keep you posted! Thanks again.

#78291 Report Abuse
    C4D

HI Deb,

I posted a long post, but somehow it disappeared. 🙁

I had a past dog that had several lipomas (Vet aspiration confirmed). They did not interfere with his movement, etc and my vet does not remove them unless there is an issue in comfort or quality of life, as they tend to grow back.

My current lab has 2 very small ones on her back thighs that were noticed about 2-3 years ago. Prior to that I was only feeding a canned/kibble mixture with occaisonal raw/fresh meals a couple of times a week. Since we discovered the lipomas, we have switched to feeding our dogs 1 meal fresh/raw daily and 1 meal canned/kibble/water mixture. There is some debate on the link between processed food and lipomas. The lipomas have had very little, if any growth. While there is no specific food that I’m aware of, I believe the incorporation of fresh, less processed food has helped (my vet is a bit skeptical). I do feed all grain free and have for almost 10 years.

Unfortunately, Labs are prone to lipomas. Fortunately they are almost always benign. I don’t think you need to see an oncologist as you’re own vet can send a sample to the lab for diagnosis. I would remove the lipoma if it is causing discomfort or difficulty in moving. I’m including some links for you to read, if you’d like, including a forum on DFA discussing lipomas. Good luck with your pup! 🙂

/forums/topic/lipomas/

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2013/03/fatty-tumors-lipomas-in-dogs-benign.html

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/lipoma-dog-lumps/

#78292 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Trust me, I know what you mean. I have two big dogs and four cats. My 16 year-old cat had surgery a few months back to have a few teeth removed and the rest of them cleaned. It was scary, but if I didn’t do it, the teeth would have caused a terrible infection and made her very sick and not be able to eat.

Anyway, the vet did all the appropriate blood tests before the surgery and said that she should be fine. She is doing great now and I expect her to live four or five more years! I think the anesthesia is so much safer these days. Of course, you have to totally trust your vet as well. Unfortunately, there are no 100% guarantees, but quality of life is important too. Again, good luck!

#78293 Report Abuse
    Deb B

Thanks C4D and crazy4cats…This is all very helpful. Our girls lump is more like a mass ( size of flattened grapefruit) and has grown in the last six months…we and her vet have been monitoring closely. We know it is all benign, but lately we have seen that it is definately hampering her gait and I believe her energy level too…she is really spry..in fact aside from some grey hair…people think she’s about 6! I think we will probably go ahead with surgery, but also change her diet to a more healthy one! I will keep you updated on how things go!

#78294 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

“Treating Canine Lipomas”
    “Another article in this issue addresses the treatment of a common benign tumor called a lipoma. These are aggregations of fat which typically occur in middle-aged and older dogs. The exact cause is not known. They are more common in certain breeds and possibly in overweight dogs. Research in humans suggests possible genetic risk factors, but the definitive cause is not known. This, of course, provides an open field for rampant speculation of how to treat and prevent these benign tumors”.
    Excerpt from: A Vet Takes a Skeptical & Science-Based Look at Veterinary Medicine http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/04/science-through-the-looking-glass-the-integrative-veterinary-care-journal/

#78295 Report Abuse
    Deb B

holy moly…..whaaaaa?? Interesting! Thanks Red!

#78926 Report Abuse
    Leslie M

Most lipomas happen simply through age and at 12 years old I would not put my dog through a surgery unless the lipoma is blocking something or causing discomfort. That being said there are few things you can do to help combat lipomas through nutrition. Omega 3 is very helpful and cardiovascular supplements are also very helpful. As far a actual food, a low calorie may also help. I like Fromm whitefish and potato at 360 calories a cup. You and your vet know what is best for your dog, so I would talk to your vet before making any of these changes.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Leslie M. Reason: forgot a r
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Leslie M.
    #79516 Report Abuse
    Deb B

Hi…thought I’d update this thread. Our girl had her surgery a few days ago…and she faired really well. The lipoma was big…over 2.5 lbs.So…I am happy with the decision to have it removed. She has a drain which will be removed on Monday, then a week later, the stitches will be removed. She came home the same night as the surgery, and the next day after the anesthetic affects wore off, she started having her appetite back. Aside by being a little uncomfortable with the drain, I am already noticing that not having that thing weighing her down on one side has helped her mobility. Thanks again for all your support with my questions. I have also switched her food to Acana Senior, and she loves it, but then again, she’s never been picky when it comes to food!!

#79517 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Great news!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Anonymous.
    #79523 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Deb B-
    I’m so happy for you! Sounds like your pup will be much better off! Thanks for the update.

#79524 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Deb B,

Thanks for the update! That was a big lipoma! Best of luck to you and your pup!

#87228 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

I treated both my rednose pitbull and my pitador (pitbull/Labrador) for lipomas with the essential oil, frankincense. I applied a few drops of the oil to the tumor and massaged it in, every other day for a week and both completely disappeared. My pit had one on her side, the size of a golf ball, while my pitador’s tumor grew very fast to the size of a softball on his jaw and cheek. The oil cost about $30 for a small bottle but it only took a very small amount to treat my dogs. I now looking into changing their diet because I fear their dogfood is unhealthy and causing this fatty tumor. Any suggestions??

#87231 Report Abuse
    Z B

Jackie B what brand are you feeding ?

#87232 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

It’s actually called River Run, it’s made locally ( Montgomery, Alabama ) I buy from the feed store and it’s very affordable ( I have 4 dogs ). So I’m looking for something better but that will fit into my budget.

#87238 Report Abuse
    Z B

There are a few 4 star rated kibbled that are widely available and budget friendly. off top of my head are pure balance grain free and Rachel Ray zero grain (both available at Walmart ) and 4health sold at Tractor Supply. You can look up the reviews on them here.
    Have no idea if they are better than what you are feeding or how effective they (or any other food ) would be for your dogs’ issues, just suggesting some affordable 4 star options that I know of.
    You can add some eggs, water packed-no salt added sardines, raw chicken hearts or gullets, baked sweet potato, and cooked puréed greens like kale or spinach to whatever you are feeding to increase nutrition. Small amounts of turmeric daily is a really good antiflammatory.

ETA: I just looked up River Run it is rated 1.5 stars 🙁
    /dog-food-reviews/river-run-dog-food/
    So there easily are many affordable brands that would a much better choice, research options that are rated 3 star, or higher here:
    /dog-food-reviews/dry/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Z B.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Z B.
    #155949 Report Abuse
    Virginia13
    Participant

Hello there! So just wanted to try and reach out to get opinions… I have an adult male dog that will be 11 this year. I got him when he was around 3-4 months and I got him on Aug 28th 2009. About 3.5-4 years ago he started having seizures. He had his first one around 9pm @ night one night and I rushed him to the ER vet after it was over and they told me it was stress. I am not sure when he grew his first mass but he grew 2 very big and very different size masses on his chest. Vet says they are benign but until they are invasive he says to leave them. Over the years he has grown several new masses and vet continues to say that they are harmless until about a month ago I took him for something wrong with his eye. He told me he actually had a small mass growing on the top eyelid growing in so that it is actually scratching his eye… I am terrified to get the surgery but at this point it is bothering him so I don’t have much of a choice. Today I found a new mass and got online once again and found some things about the food he is eating. We are feeding him Beneful healthy weight. I am looking to make a swith to Taste of the Wild and see if I can see a different. I bought Milk Thistle capsules and also omega3 but the Omega3 I read I should consult vet before use so just to be safe I will wait. Any thoughts or advise would be helpful. Thank you!

#156762 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hi Virginia,

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this with your beloved boy and I’ve posted some articles below that I hope will be helpful regarding natural treatment options for your dog.

HOLISTIC APPROACH TO LUMPS IN DOGS:
    https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015077-holistic-approach-to-lumps-in-dogs

FATTY LUMPS ( LIPOMAS ), OTHER LUMPS AND WHY SURGERY IS NOT THE BEST CHOICE:
    https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11016161-fatty-lumps-lipomas-other-lumps-and-why-surgery-is-not-the-best-choice

EPILEPSY ( SEIZURES ) IN DOGS – HOLISTIC APPROACH TO TREATMENT AND PREVENTION (PART 1):
    https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/10933933-epilepsy-seizures-in-dogs-holistic-approach-to-treatment-and-prevention-part-1

Regarding diet, it’s very important to avoid processed kibble and nourish your dog’s body with fresh food and essential nutrients. We made the switch many years ago and it was truly the best decision to support our pup’s health.

We use Dr. Dobias’ free recipe maker to create balanced meals and I recommend you watch his quick and easy diet course to learn more on this subject. It may take a little bit more time to prepare homemade meals but it is so worth it. Investing in high quality nutrition and good health will help you to save on vet bills over the long term.

NATURAL DIET: https://peterdobias.com/pages/course-rawdiet

RECIPE MAKER: https://recipemaker.peterdobias.com

I hope this helps your pup. Wishing you both the best in happiness and good health! 🙂
    Chipy

#156829 Report Abuse
    Frenky C
    Participant

I hate to say this but in my knowledge, lipomas (if indeed your dog has one) are usually benign tumors that does not respond to oral medications or even a change of diet. If it is large enough that it bothers your dog, the best way to alleviate it is to have it surgically removed. It is an easy, fast and safe procedure.

#156833 Report Abuse
    Deb B

Our beautiful lab had a lipoma the size of a grapefruit on her side which we had watched for 4 or 5 years continue to grow. When it became restrictive to her for walking, laying down, everything, we had our vet remove it. Best decision, but should have done it sooner. 😊

#156836 Report Abuse
    Frenky C
    Participant

Hi Deb! It’s amazing that you went back to this thread. Is this the same lab you are talking about on the first post? Glad to know that your lab is still alive and had never had recurrence after removal of lipoma.

#156842 Report Abuse
    Deb B

Hi Frenky, Yes I was talking about the same lab. Sadly , she is no longer with us, but lived until she was 15 ! Her passing had nothing to do with the lipoma…..still glad we had it removed. Doing so allowed her to keep mobile and active until the end. She was an amazing girl. 💔

#156846 Report Abuse
    Frenky C
    Participant

Awww sorry to hear that. 15 years is already a stretch for labs. Average lifespan is actually 12. Well I’m glad to know that surgery has really made an impact in her activity. Regards!

#156855 Report Abuse
    Hermione B
    Participant

Our pug also had a lipoma once and it was a size of a bean but we decided let the vet remove it just to be safe.

#156868 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

If feeding fresh is not an option, what is the best food for a Lab mix approximately 9 years old? I always fed him Hill’s Ideal Balance until they stopped making it. Now I’m feeding him Purina One, and a lump has appeared. Could be a coincidence, but I never particularly liked feeding him the Purina One. When I google best food for lipoma it I keep getting Taste of the Wild. Note: I have not taken him to the vet yet. He is out of food and I wanted to get started on something better. Thank you.

#156994 Report Abuse
    Frenky C
    Participant

I’d go for whole fresh foods like fish, meat and pureed vegetables. Also avoid simple carbohydrates.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.