šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lori E

My vet, who is also a doctor of Chinese medicine, recommends food therapy in addition to other things. Cold/cool foods (Yin) rather than hot/warm foods (Yang). This may help with his antibodies over-reacting to triggers like flea bites, spider bites, bee stings, etc. Even with my own health, choosing the right foods can be very helpful. We are looking for food that does not contain chicken, venison, lamb and various other meat proteins and want to find for protein based in turkey, duck, cod. I know I can read labels, and I will, but thought if the Editor’s choice foods also listed primary ingredients right at the name/title level on the rating list, that would be helpful.

Any helpful suggestions regarding top-quality foods with restricted protein as noted above are welcome. Thanks.

#91330 Report Abuse
    elaine c

Lori, I would be very careful about imparting strange remedies to a dog. A dog has certainly protein requirements.. If ANSWERS Dog Food has Turkey or duck .. I would go with them. you can look it up in the raw section.. There are NO red ingredients listed and many dogs who are even ill get better on it. you can email the web site with a uestion if you like.

#91337 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Do an allergy test on your dog at http://www.glacierpeakholistics.com/alternative-allergy-testing-for-dogs.html

Rotate all proteins until you get the results back, unless you already know which ones cause physical outbreaks or diarrhea.

Zignature dog food is excellent for sensitive stomachs. Key Benefits:
    Grain-free and multi-protein formula (single protein formulas too)
    Gluten-free diet
    No potato, chicken or eggs
    Complete and balanced diet for all life stages
    Made in the USA

Good luck…..and get a new vet doctor.

#91442 Report Abuse
    Susan W

VeRUS has a cold water fish formula with Menhaden fish as the base.
    Here is the ingredient list: Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal, Lentils, Chickpeas, Green Peas, Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Tapioca, Herring, Herring Meal, Yams, Natural Flavors, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Chicory Extract, Dried Cranberry, Tomato Pomace, Dried Carrots, Kelp, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Pediococcus acidilactici Fermentation Product, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, L-Carnitine, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Betaine Anhydrous, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate

As an aside…I thought my dogs were allergic to chicken & beef & all things gluten. Turns out they had mites. You can try dusting your dog with food grade DE powder. If they stop scratching, food isn’t the problem.

VeRUS sends fantastic samples f you want to give them a try.

#91466 Report Abuse
    Bertha L

Was at the vets today. I too have a small 15-lb dog who is scratching the fur right off his body. I’m trying desperately to help him. I have been told not to give him chicken, turkey, or pork. He is a picky eater to start with and likes wet food, so finding the right food is going to be hard. I need to change his kibbles (dry food) also as it contains “chicken meal”. He will not eat kibble with white fish as the first ingrediant. No fleas could be found, so we are assuming a food allergy.
    Any words of wisdom from this forum?

BethGL

#91688 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Bertha, powder your dog with FOOD GRADE DE powder. Try that for a few days. If it works, your dog has mites.
    That being said, go check the VeRUS website for their CANNED food. They have flavors with duck, lamb, fish, and beef liver. VeRUS has some fantastic dry foods, too. My dogs were uber itchy last year. VeRUS cold water fish formula took care of 65% of their itchiness. The balance was cured by DE powder. Anyway, the VeRUS foods come in small kibble pieces so it is GREAT for small doggies!!

#91764 Report Abuse
    Annie T

I agree with zcRiley about Glacier Peaks Holistics sensitivity tests at
    Pet Intolerance Test Wholesale (6 pack)
    They test for over 200 foods and environmental substances to which your pet could be sensitive. The test is $89 and easy to do requiring a small hair clipping and a mouth swab and all the collection materials are sent to you. For an extra $10 you can get the results the day after receiving your kit. Other on-line tests I’ve seen can be as much as $300 and test for fewer possible allergens. The test has helped me help my 5 month old lab/Rottweiler rescue/adoption fur-ever family member.

#91765 Report Abuse
    Bertha L

Susan, could you please tell me where i can find food grade DE powder. I do want to try it but just csan’t find it anywhere. Thank you.

#91798 Report Abuse
    Joe K

I too am interested in this Food Grade DE powder. Can someone provide additional details on where to purchase?

#91906 Report Abuse
    Annie T

Oops, please disregard my posting about Glacier Peaks Pet Wellness Scans. It’s a scam.

#92045 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Bertha & Joe – I ordered mine from Amazon. I paid $11, I think and I haven’t used all of a cup yet (in several months). Otherwise, you can look in health food stores.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.