šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Melissa J

I have heard low calorie and lower protein.

#37531 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Melissa –

I’d recommend heading over to the large breed puppy forum. It’s the second topic in the “Diet and Health Issues” forum. I think you’ll find most of your questions answered there. But, no, a large breed puppy food does not need to be (and in fact shouldn’t be) low in protein. A low calorie food is not necessary either assuming portion sizes are controlled and the dog is kept in optimal body condition.

#37551 Report Abuse
    Shawna

Hi Melissa,

Vet Dr. Karen Becker has a video interview with a Newfie breeder who is also a human and pet chiropractor. He has very sound dogs and feeds a HIGH protein raw diet. He had one female Newfie live to age 17. Of course not everyone is in a position to feed raw, especially to a Newf, but wanting to demonstrate that protein isn’t an issue. They have scientific data supporting that conclusion as well.. That same data lists excess calcium and over feeding as problems. It’s in the forum comments HDM mentions.
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/04/05/how-a-newfoundland-pet-dog-reached-17-years.aspx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.