šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Catherine M

Hi everyone!
    I have an 8 year old long-haired mini-doxie named Sweet-Pea. She was recently diagnosed with fatty liver disease when tested at a visit for glaucoma. I am feeding raw meats (various kinds) mixed with rice and sweet potato. She had been off of the raw diet for several months, eating dry pedigree food since I had lost my husband and just taking care of things was overwhelming to me. But I went back to the raw after he diagnosis, and also am giving supplement of milk thistle for her liver. She has voracious hunger and thirst, and pees an ocean, sometimes not making it outside. I know this water drinking and peeing are related to the liver disease.

So what do you recommend to feed her? Red meat is not the best for her, although I feed other meats when I can, and doing the raw diet seems to be too much work for my 4 dogs, including her. I’m looking for something easy to digest, easy on the liver (low ammonia-producing), and easy on the budget and to feed.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!
    Cathy

#72694 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Cathy-
    I’m sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine how difficult it has been. I do not know anything about liver disease, but thought I’d reply to your post to help get it noticed by someone who does.
    I do know that Pedigree is not a great choice of kibble to feed when you do not have time to feed the raw. Have you checked out the 3 to 5 star rated kibble on the review site? I can help you with some more budget friendly if you are interested, that may not even cost much more than the Pedigree.
    Are the raw meals you are feeding properly balanced? Are you giving any type of vitamin supplements with them?
    I’m hoping somebody can chime in and help you with the liver disease as well. Good luck to you and your furry friends!

#72807 Report Abuse
    Catherine M

Thank you, crazy4cats. You’re a doll for answering my post!
    Yeah, with my husband sudden passing, my sons and I had a lot on our plates to figure out and take care of, so we just did the easiest thing. That meant whatever was sold at Sam’s Club, such as Pedigree. Since then, things have settled down, and I am back to being my “what’s best” instead of “what’s easiest” -self.
    In looking over the list here in this site, I decided to try all four dogs on Nature’s Recipe dry dog food. We chose the grain-free chicken, sweet potato, and pumpkin, because I know all four dogs like those foods, and chicken is easier on the liver. So far, the last day or so, since we started them on it, it has been easy to feed, and they are getting the nutrition they need.
    We have two dachshunds and two papillons. One of the dachshunds is pure white deaf and blind, and he is so picky that we have been adding some of the canned Nature’s Recipe as a topper to help him eat better and gain a little weight. The dachshund with the liver problems seems to love the Nature’s Recipe, and I hope it will be kinder to her liver than anything else she’s eaten.
    Anyone else who has experience with dogs and liver problems, please feel free to comment! Many thanks in advance!
    Cathy

#72869 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Cathy-
    Glad things are getting back to normal as possible. A pure white, deaf and blind dachshund, huh? I didn’t know they came in white! Lol! Hasn’t your vet given you any advice on supplements to use for the liver? Check out dogaware.com, dogsnaturallymagazine, and Dr. Karen Becker’s Mercola articles. Maybe they have some helpful recommendations. Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.