šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dbd0002003
    Participant

I have a 7 month old Shih Tzu that has been having stomach issues for about 3 weeks off and on. I switched him to Eagle Pack after we got him in late April. It seemed to agree with him, but he
    has always had what we considered excessive amounts of poop (sometimes he goes 4 to 6 times a day). So I decided that a grain-free food might help.

I started very slowly switching him to Blue Freedom Grain Free. He started with diarrhea almost right away, so I decided it was the new food. Vet said Pepto, which helped, and I fed him the Hill’s I/D (2 cans total over about 5 days). During the last day and a half of the canned food, I mixed a small amount of the Eagle Pack into the food. Within 36 hours of switching him back to the Eagle Pack, the diarrhea returned. Started this past Friday afternoon. I withheld food at dinner that night and took him to the vet the next morning. He got an injection of antibiotics and a bit of steroids along with something to help the vomiting he had the night before. Also sent him home with something for the diarrhea and the I/D food. I have not had to give him that medicine. He ate the special food yesterday and his poop was back to normal this morning.

I’m sorry for the long explanation, but thought the history night be helpful. I now need to figure out what kind of food might work for him. The vet recommended Innova EVO, Wellness Core, or Taste of the Wild. First thing I saw was the recall on Innova. After reading information and comments on this site, I am considering Fromm Surf & Turf, but would really like some opinions from members of this site. I feel so sorry for the little guy…he really needs some food that will help him thrive. Thanks for any advice.

#22002 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Did the vet do a fecal test? Puppies often have parasites or worms that can cause digestive upset.

#22016 Report Abuse
    dbd0002003
    Participant

Yes, they did a fecal test and the results came back last Monday. They were negative for parasites. I am at a loss. We have had dogs for the last 37 years and I have never experienced anything like this.

#22017 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Try NutriSource. It is usually easy on dogs with sensitive tummies. No matter what you try you should consider getting your pup on probiotics and digestive enzymes. They help him to better deal with the food he has now and they help his tummy to not be so sensitive in the future, plus they boost the immune system. Human ones are fine and are usually cheaper than ones labeled for dogs. If you are willing to order online, Swansons has good products at a great price.

#22018 Report Abuse
    dbd0002003
    Participant

I am willing to try anything that will help him. I checked out the Swanson’s site – does it work as well to have something that contains both the probiotics and enzymes in one? I saw Ark Naturals Gentle Digest, Flying Basset Digestive Enzyme Complex, Shake’N’Zyme, ActiPet Digestive Blend, and Daily Digest for Dogs – Duck Flavor.

#22041 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The most important consideration is to get one with as many different strains of probiotics as possible. Most of the combos are rather limited.

#22188 Report Abuse
    lovemypets4life
    Participant

holistic health extension GRAiN FREE food is organic and especially beneficial for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs/digestive tracts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.