šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michele L

Help! I just subscribed today to Editor’s Choice, because we are at our wits end selecting dry dog food for this sporty/sleek bird loving canine Lulu the ‘Llewellin English Setter’. Almost 3 yo, 39 lbs. She will try new brands for a little while which encourages us, then gets bored and turns away. I was hoping Editor’s Choice would narrow the selection but did not. I need something that feeds (well balanced) her furnace and that smells and tastes good. She will walk away at first smell if it does not appeal to her. Any ideas from the bird dog hunting community? She is a family dog (in the house and truck) but bird hunts w hubby. She would rather follow his every move than eat. Any pearls of wisdom or experience are appreciated!
    Signed -Lulu’s Mom

#104578 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Solid Gold Wild Heart Quail, Chickpeas & Pumpkin Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food

#104580 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Michele,
    I believe you have created a picky eater. It’s time to practice “tough love”: put food down, leave it for 15 min. Whatever she doesn’t eat gets saved for the next meal. No treats, no people food, nothing.

#104594 Report Abuse
    Michele L

Thanks both for your feedback. I will try both ‘Solid Gold White Heart Quail’ and pulling food after 15 minutes.

Any other dry suggestions are welcome!!

#104599 Report Abuse
    Blkdoodle

We were having some of the same problem with our dog. I bit the bullet and had an allergy test run on her and found out she has allergies to some of the ingredients in dog food, potatoes being one of them, and border line allergies on others. So far she is eating and liking a lamb dog food that does not include potatoes, fish, etc. Good luck. Our 3 yo weighs 78 lbs.

#104602 Report Abuse
    Michele L

Thanks Callie! What lamb dog food are you using? Is it dry?

#104616 Report Abuse
    Blkdoodle

Right now we are using Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed Adult Lamb . It’s the only one I have found so far that starts out with deboned lamb, then lamb meal. No potatoes. I do top it with 1/3 can Nutro Essential Lamb and Rice. She has 3 cups dry and 1/3 can, for 3 meals. Two meals didn’t work for her as she would go to bed on an empty stomach then in the mornings it was heaves with bile. Empty stomach cause that. Our furbaby is a Goldendoodle.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Blkdoodle.
    #104617 Report Abuse
    Blkdoodle

We have a black Goldendoodle. She took after her daddy.

#105184 Report Abuse
    Kristin F

She has trained you to feed her something different. Put the food down twice a day, if she doesn’t eat it in 10 minutes, take it away. Feed nothing till next meal time. She may hold out for 3 days, but she will eventually start eating when she is hungry AND realizes you won’t give in. I want my dogs to eat what I give them immediately. So I teach them that there is no alternative. I have no problems with adding scraps or giving treats, as long as my dog will eat what I put down. This way, if my dog doesn’t eat her food in the normal 60 seconds, I know she is sick and is going to the vet immediately. If you let your dog be picky you may never know when she is really sick.
    The way I explain it is, if you put oatmeal in front of me, I will only eat it if I’m really hungry. I am not that fond of oatmeal. If you put ice cream in front of me, I will find room for it no matter how full I am.
    I find that most people are feeding their dogs way too much food. Then if the dog doesn’t finish because they are full, the people panic and add something to get them to eat. Creates a monster. The dogs know that you worry if they don’t eat and they play games and hold out for something better.
    If your dog always eats immediately, and then suddenly doesn’t, then yes, go to the vet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.