🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vicki B

My 11 yr old Cocker has kidney disease and had a kidney removed in April ’19. He is fed Holistic Select Adult Anchovy & Sardine and Salmon Meal Recipe along with a Salmon oil Supplement & (1) Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM daily. Is this the Best Dog for kidney Disease?

#142529 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I would consult your vet.
    I think a prescription /therapeutic diet would be the best choice.
    Usually dogs with kidney disease require a low protein diet/ prescription food to be comfortable, along with prescription medications.

#142530 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I agree with Anon, talk to your vet, did your vet mention a diet for your dog?

#143330 Report Abuse
    Vicki B

His oncologist does not recommend any kind of special diet. After doing my own research on this website and others, I would like to alter/supplement his diet in the best possible way. That is why I was asking for Best dog food for Kidney Disease recommendations.

#143331 Report Abuse
    joanne l

All I can say is low protein diet. If you want to give him some homemade diet you can use one boiled egg and rice or cottage cheese. I don’t know what brand I would say to dry but you need a lower protein diet. Did the vet suggest low protein??

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by joanne l.
    #143333 Report Abuse
    joanne l
    #143335 Report Abuse
    Joyce B
    Participant

Please check out Canine Kidney Disease Facebook Group. It’s a public group so you can browse it without joining if you prefer. There are many very knowledgeable folks on there willing to help. Some feed prescription food, some don’t. With kidney disease the appetite can get very poor and many dogs won’t go near the prescription stuff. There are low-phosphorus food ideas, as well as supplement recommendations. For example, many have had success with Azodyl. Best of luck to you!

#144717 Report Abuse
    Emma b

Well I would suggest for you to consult with your vet only, as you are saying your dog may have kidney problems and other diets may cause more problems, so please consult with your vet only on what you should give.

#144880 Report Abuse

Vicki,
    So sorry your dog has kidney disease. It’s a hard diagnosis. I went through the same thing with my first dog and she never wanted to eat and had constant nausea. It’s good you are asking because dogs with kidney disease do need a special diet. Whatever you decide to do in terms of supplements and diet , be sure to check with your vet. I don’t want to give advice but from my experience with my own dog, I was told not to give a fish based diet because fish is very high in phosphorus. I had to switch from a fish and potato diet and decided to feed a homemade diet because my dog wasn’t wanting to eat. I used the supplements from this website: https://www.askariel.com/kidney-disease-treatment-for-cats-and-dogs-s/1857.htm and my dog perked up quite a bit and lived much longer than the vet had originally thought she would. I think the site will include some free diet tips on your order. Since a lot of veterinarians do know the products, it would be good to show them to your vet (along with any diet tips) before using. Wishing you all the best.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.