🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    melissa d

I have a 82 pound chocolate lab who had surgery to remove a skin tag that turned into a 2″ wide ulcerated lesion. He currently eats Honest Kitchen which has been great but I am looking for any ideas to nutritionally encourage wound healing?

#128256 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Melissa,

about 1 month ago my English Staffy Patch had 5 wort type little lumps/skin tags removed, 1 had grown rapidly within 1 month, a very suspicious looking lump, the vet removed all & tested 3 of them for cancer, Lucky they all were “not” Mast Cell Tumors.

….Mass Cell Tumor is the most common skin tumor in dogs, it can also affect other areas of the body, including the spleen, liver, gastrointestinal tract, and bone marrow.
    My vet said when she was doing a course to up date on dogs lumps etc they all were given photos of 7 different looking lumps found on dogs & they had to write what type of lump they thought they were, she said every vet wrote that they all looked like Skin Tags?? they all were Mast Cell Tumors that were cancerous tumors, so now vets recommend to have any type of wierd looking small, med or large lumps removed & do not poke, prod or let the vet remove part of lump to be sent away for testing, if its a Mast Cell Tumor the Histimines go thru the dog body when they are poke at or needle put in them etc, so it’s best to have the lump removed & a heap of surrounding skin tissue around the lumps removed if a suspicious lump.

Patch had around 17 stitches, 2 stitches in his right ear where 1 skin tag was removed the rest lumps were side of legs & stomach area.
    The side of body where he had 2 lumps removed, he has brindle fur & black skin it has healed beautifully BUT the other side where he had 2 lumps removed & his fur is white & his skin is pink wasn’t healing too well, so I started applying “Bepanthen” Antiseptic Soothing Cream every night before bed, Bepanthen is made by Bayer, its in the baby section at shop/chemist, I also use Huggies Coconut Oil thick baby wipes, they have Aloe Leaf Extract & Coconut Oil in the baby wipes…The days he doesn’t have a bath I wipe down his skin, stomach, head, paws & bum, he suffers with environment allergies..

*Healing Foods to start adding to his diet – meal/kibble also give some as a treat or to lose weight if needed*

– Fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, sardines and herring, are excellent foods for healthy skin. …
    – Tin Sardines in spring water – drain the water/oil add 1/4 of the can to 1 of his daily meals or add
    – Tin Salmon in oil or spring water – drain teh water/oil add 2 spoons to 1 of his daily meals or add
    – 1 x Krill Oil Capsule to 1 of his daily meals
    – Mussels – I buy the Freeze Dried Green Lipped Mussels & give 1-2 mussels a day as a treat.

*Nuts-

– Walnuts
    – Almonds x 3 almonds a day, give as a treat so he chews them, I bite 1 almond in 1/2 eat & give the other 1/2 of the almond to Patch so he chews it, only 3 full almonds a day as they can cause sloppy poo/diarrhea.

– Kelfir/Probiotic to strengthen the Immune System, – best given when stomach is empty so give as a drink first thing of a morning or inbetween meals so it works better, with the powder dog Probiotics (Purina Forti Floria) – add 10-15ml water to recommended probiotic dose swirl 15ml water & probiotic in a bowl..

– Vitamin C High Potency Powder
    Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is required for the synthesis of collagen. It is also a highly effective antioxidant protecting cells from damage by free radicals. Studies have shown that the vitamin can help speed the healing process of wounds.
    We have NAS High Potency Vitamin C powder for dogs & cats in Australia.
    https://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/Shop/product/high-potency-vitamin-c/

– Egg
    – Goat Milk
    – Chicken
    – Sunflower Seeds
    – Sweet Potatoes
    – Broccoilli

#128391 Report Abuse
    Dinamul D

An ideal recovery diet is:

High in protein to support maintenance of lean body mass

High in energy, as your dog will have very little appetite and significantly increased metabolic rate. This means food should be rich in energy so that even small amounts can provide the energy needed

High in fat and protein, which will mean lower carbohydrates as recovering dogs will be insulin resistant

Highly digestible ingredients as they may not absorb nutrients as well as normal

Tasty and attractive to your dog – to encourage your dog to eat.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.