šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tom S

I see some highly rated Grain Free dog foods that contain potatoes. Shouldn’t we avoid food that contains potato just like we avoid grains? Starches, like grains and potatoes, quickly break down to sugar in the small intestine. Sugar consumption creates excess free radicals in the body, which causes inflammation.

#130327 Report Abuse
    joanne l

unfortunately, Tom all dog food needs a binder to make it. Even the “biological appropriate Ojien” has fillers in it. I don’t like Orjien though. So the only thing to do is find a dog food that don’t contain as much fillers. Example maybe just 2 like say, brown rice and oatmeal. Some of them sneak in about 4 or 5 so you have to read the ingredients. But if you find one that has peas or legumes listed 4 or 5 times, no matter how far down the list I wouldn’t buy it. Ojien has legumes list 5 times on their menu. Also, grain free is not really the best.

#130328 Report Abuse
    Tom S

Joanne, thank you for your reply. My dog is on Nutro Ultra Weight Management canned. He really likes it, and it does have a lot of antioxidents and multiple protein sources, but it is not grain free. I was thinking of trying The Honest Kitchen or Earthborn. Have you heard of any negatives on either of these?

#130329 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Tom, I did hear some negative reviews on Earthborn, I don’t mean to discourage you but that is what I heard. Honest Kitchen seems to be good. Do you need grain free? Only b/c the FDA warning was on grain free diets and DCM in dogs. Is your dog doing good on what he is on? I forget to mention I am transitioning my dog to Health Extensions it seems like a good food. Also they do have grain free and it doesn’t have a lot of legumes in it also I don’t think is has peas or potatoes, which is good. Take a look on chewy’s website and read the reviews and the ingredients.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by joanne l.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by joanne l.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.