Are my dogs hungry or liking food too much?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Are my dogs hungry or liking food too much?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    esklader
    Participant

Hi – I am new to this board. I have an 8 1/2 year old shih tzu and a 5 year old havanese. My shih tzu has had terrible itching and allergy issues for the past 4 or 5 years. About a year ago, I changed to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed, as vet said it could be at least partly a food allergy. While they both did well on the food, it did not solve the problem.Vet now says it’s an environmental allergy, and has given me all sorts of shampoos, ointments, etc. to try to help. But he also told me to go with a food that had no chicken. After checking out all the reviews here, I am transitioning them to Merrick Grain Free Texas Beef and Sweet Potato (with a little Merrick non-chicken wet food on top). Both of them went absolutely nuts over it, especially the shih tzu. The problem is, they are both begging for food earlier and more often than usual. I generally feed them once a day, around dinner time. I am trying to figure out if they are actually not getting enough food (I feed them around a cup each) or if they just really, really love the food and are trying to get more. Any thoughts?

#29781 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What is the difference in calories between the 2 foods?

#29782 Report Abuse
    A.Sandy

Hi,
    My name is Ana, I am the owner of a small pet canine and feline nutrition consultation business called Pupcat Nutrition Consulting. I am a pet nutrition expert/advisor and also a dog handler/caretaker and professional bather. I fully understand what you are saying, Blue buffalo is not exactly my favorite brand they are expensive and since they are a big company who knows what they put inside their food. And of course vets will tell you anything to make an extra buck. Ok, so absolute good choice on choosing merrick my dog loves this stuff!! So what’s going on is they are not used to the richness that merrick has since it’s grain free it’s more protein dense so that means you feed less so be careful how much you feed so you’re doing ok, 1 cup should be enough. But them begging for food after doesn’t mean they are hungry, the only time that you would increase food amount is if they are extremely active. Don’t be afraid to add some canned merrick fish proteins or beef (just 1 tbsp or less) just as a topper it also adds extra moisture. Or try adding salmon oil on top of food so they can get their omegas and sooth their skin and helps their coat. And for now try to stay away from chicken and rotate proteins. for more help and info on other topics follow us on twitter @pupcatfacts and on facebook and pupcatnutrition.com
    Good luck!

-Ana

#29802 Report Abuse
    esklader
    Participant

Thanks – looks like there is no difference in calories between the two foods. When I look at the breakdown, it does look like there is about the same amount of protein (+/- 3%) but the Merrick has less carbs and more fat content. I am using the canned Merrick as a topper. Maybe they are just excited about a new food. Thanks for your help.

#29807 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If the Merrick has about the same protein and slightly more fat, it should stay with them longer, so I would say that they are probably excited about their food.

#29894 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I have pugs and they (99.9%) are vacuum cleaners/always hungry and they love to eat ANY THING at ANY TIME!! Even the 14 yr old! I would just suggest feeding them to keep them at a good body condition. There are several “body condition score” charts you can look up online.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.