Anyone try the Prosense products?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Anyone try the Prosense products?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

I found a great $2 off any Prosense pet product, so I decided to try the fish oil for Bentley’s suspected grass allergies (it’s not chicken, it’s not grains, so maybe grass?) and the senior vitamins for Haley’s weight (we can’t possibly shove anymore food down this dogs throat, as she just can’t physically eat much more than 5 cups).

Bentley’s been on the fish oil for a few months, and it does actually seem to help him some. We’ve also been wiping his paws and tummy off after being outdoors with a baby wipe, and trying to give him a weekly bath. And, which I haven’t tried yet, I found hot spot shampoo of the same brand on clearence for $3 (use the coupon and it’s only a buck :D).

Haley, at just 65 pounds of ideal weight, eats 4-5 cups a day. She’s maybe 2-3 pounds underweight, healthy otherwise. The vet had her on vitamins last year durring some medical treatment, but she’s since been off them. Pretty much boils down to her being old at this point, and not being able to metabolize food as efficiently. Shes been on these Prosense Senior vitamins for a few days and I do already see her gaining energy, at least.

Regular feeding, for all three of the dogs, consists of 8-9 cups of dry food mixed with a 13 oz can of wet food, and usually an egg thrown in, as well. This is obviously divided up in appropriate amounts for each dog. The whole feeding routine has been made up specifically for Haley, as straight dry food really upsets her stomach, in an indigestible sort of way. Even if it’s just moistened with some water, it helps her tremendously. Poor girls got tummy troubles lol

I was wondering about these senior vitamins: they seem really high in calcium, which I’ve heard mixed things about for older dogs. I’ll get exact numbers in the morning, as I’m in bed now, but it’s several times higher than the adult formula. I want to say its 4-5% though.

This brand is only available at WalMart (locally, at least) from what I’ve seen. Not that I really have much problem with that. I don’t particularly like WalMart, but I’ll do what I have to.

Also, side note while were here, and I feel it’ll be brought up at some point– you guys know those powder Centrum probiotics for people? Would something like that he beneficial in Haley’s case? Doesn’t have to be that brand or kind, either. Anything along those lines. Just know I’m not made of money 😉

#26631 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Probiotics are definitely helpful! If you order online, Swanson’s has one called Dr Stephen Langer’s that is pretty good and another called Soil Based Organisms that is also good. Swanson’s has great prices. For Haley, I would really suggest that you put her on a digestive enzyme and Apple Cider Vinegar(the kind with the mother in it). Those help senior dogs with digestion.

#26634 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

The reason I ask about the Centrum brand is because at work we have a whole bunch of them on the clearence rack because they are getting close to their expiration dates. I’ve also got some expired ones in the cabinet I’ve used a few times to make fish food. It’s those packet things you add to water or whatever.

Apple cider vinegar… Sounds yucky LOL

#26635 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you are adding water to your dog’s food, ACV isn’t bad.

#26637 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I usually only add water when I don’t have canned, which is very rarely. And sometimes the canned doesn’t add quite enough moisture, which is what I use the egg for. If that’s not enough, I’ll add about 1/4 cup of water.

How much of that would you suggest giving her?

#26642 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I give 1/2 teaspoon per cup of kibble and I add 1/2 cup of water per cup of kibble too.

#26650 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I can do that. It’s like 2.30-something for a jug of it, which would last forever.

Here’s a link to those vitamins. Scroll down and click on the ingredients tab. It doesn’t give a nutritional table, though, so I’ll have to take a pic of the bottle when I got him from work.

http://www.prosensepet.com/Products/Dog/Vitamins-and-Minerals/Senior-Daily-Vitamin.aspx#answers

They also make an adult version. It has lower values of everything.

#26676 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.