šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Julie F

Merrick makes three different brands of dog food which all score well with Dog Food Advisor and seem rather similar in ingredients: Merrick, Whole Earth and Castor & Pollux. However the price points among the three, with Merrick being most expensive, to Whole Earth being less expensive and then Castor & Pollux. Is there any real different among the brands, specifically in the grain free recipes? Thanks. J

#112082 Report Abuse
    Shelly C

I honestly wish I knew. My only guess is the quality of the ingredients. For example- if they all have chicken- is one Grade A chicken, another Grade B- etc? I don’t know if that is the case but that would be my guess. I figure if DFA gives it a 4 star or higher rating, it is a quality dog food. Wish I could be more help. I am still learning myself.

#112088 Report Abuse
    Heidi M

I’m curious as well! I’ve been feeding my 2 Goldens Merrick chicken and sweet potato but I’m getting a new puppy in a few weeks and just learned about the whole “calcium” thing! So now I’m on a hunt for a food with less calcium and was thinking about Whole Earth Farms which is on the approved low calcium list. And at least it’s made my Merrick which has worked out well for my dogs so far. Paying attention to your thread.

#112108 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

Compare the ingredient list and the GA for all the foods and you will see the difference. Whole Earth is a lower protein food and therefore has less of the named protein, such as chicken, and uses the meal form of the protein as the top ingredient rather than the actual chicken. Merrick and Castor and Pollux have more of the chicken which is more expensive than the chicken meal. They probably use the same ingredients for all the lines, (except Organix) just vary quantities of protein.

#112109 Report Abuse
    Heidi M

You are absolutely correct. After looking at Whole Earth Farms nutrient list I eliminated it. It does not have the amount of quality ingredients that the Merrick does. It’s too bad Merrick has such high calcium because overall it’s a good food with good proteins.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.