šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    PennyLanesMom
    Participant

Hello All,
    Our 6 year old Jack Russell Terrier, Penny Lane has always been anxious. She has particularly bad separation anxiety and has taken generic xanax .25mg her entire life when we leave her at home while we go to the store or out for a bit.
    In December she had her first known attack of pancreatitis – we changed her food to the Iams Vet Prescription and she was put on medication/probiotics for two weeks – then was retested.
    At the retest her pancreatitis was completely gone.
    We reintroduced her to old food slowly and tried to put her back on it but she had a relapse in January and had to go back on Vet Prescription food. She is now on Royal Canin Vet Prescription Gastrointestinal Low 20 and is doing great. She feels so much better and is almost at goal weight.
    We took her back today (February 15) for a lab check and everything is perfect with the exception of her still having a lot anxiety – and the Vet feels that can put unnecessary stress on her pancreas. He suggested we try Anxitane S for her generalized anxiety.
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and had any information or suggestions.
    Any input would be helpful.
    Thanks so much.
    – Love,
    A worried dog mommy

#14262 Report Abuse

PennyLanesmom-

She has taken xanax her entire life? I have dealt with many dogs that have had separation anxiety etc, and it truly does not need to be a lifetime issue. You need to work on desensitizing her to your leaving. I am not a fan of meds for it when consistent/persistent work can stop the problem for most dogs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.