šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Dee,
    please be careful with pet shop wet can/tin food, 5%Min is not max fat% & when you convert to dry matter 5%min fat can be 20%min up to 26% max fat, so before you buy any Pet Shop wet foods you will not get one as low as a vet diet at 1.7%-fat, also make sure you email the Pet food companies & ask them for max fat DM conversion……

Are you on face Book join the “Canine Pancreatitis Support Group”
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435920120029740/
    go to their “Files” scroll down to “Pancreas Low Fat dog foods.pdf” & click on link
    then once your on the Pancreas Low Fat dog foods.pdf, scroll down & you will see the low fat wet can foods brands that are sold at pet shops, they have the fat % conversion next to them but I would still contact the Pet Food companies & ask what is the max fat% converted to DM in these formulas, the fat may have change since the Low Fat list was done??

Dr Judy Morgan DVM is also very good to follow on F/B, look at her Video’s she has a “Pancreatitis Diet” & a “IBD Diet” easy to cook recipes..
    If you can it’s best to cook & freeze small meals & feed the wet can vet diets just till your dog is 100% better…
    Look at
    * Hills I/d Digestive Care Low Fat Restore, Rice & Vegetables & chicken Stew.
    https://www.hillspet.com/dog-food/pd-id-low-fat-canine-rice-vegetable-and-chicken-stew-canned,
    The I/d formula’s are also for Urinary health problems aswell but contact Hills by email & get one of their Vet Nutritionist to call you back & they will help you with any questions you may have..
    * Hills, Digestive Care, Stress Low Fat Rice, Vegetables Chicken Stew. https://www.hillspet.com/dog-food/pd-id-canine-stress-rice-vegetable-and-chicken-stew-canned
    The I/d Stews have better ingredients, then the Hills I/d Low Fat loaf style wet can food..
    When your dog is better then maybe look at feeding a low fat pet shop wet can foods that’s on the Pancreatitis Group list or post a post asking people what they are feeding their babies…..

#120468 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Dee,
    Have you looked at the Hills I/d Digestive Care Stress Rice Vegetables & Chicken Stew small wet can.
    https://www.hillspet.com/dog-food/pd-id-canine-stress-rice-vegetable-and-chicken-stew-canned
    Hills I/d Digestive Care Restore Rice Vegetables & Chicken Stew in a biger can & both have better ingredients then the I/d Loaf style wet formula’s..
    https://www.hillspet.com/dog-food/pd-id-low-fat-canine-rice-vegetable-and-chicken-stew-canned
    Stay on vet diet just till your little man is stable, also join the Canine Pancreatitis Support Group on Face Book,
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435920120029740/
    Look in their “Files” Pancreas Low Fat dog foods.pdf, scroll down a bit for all the wet foods next to them is their fat converted to DM but again contact Pet Food companies for max fat% in DM as these formula’s may have changed since this was posted & fat has increased.

Whenever you buy a wet can food from a pet shop or online always contact the Pet Food Company & ask them for their max fat% conversion to Dry Matter….5%min when converted to DM can be 20%min fat to 26%max fat.. you need under 3%max in fat, Vet diets are 1.7% you’ll never find a pet shop food this low, so maybe best to look at teh Low Fat formula’s Ive posted & cooked lean chicken & turkey best with some boiled sweet potato for his other meal also cottage cheese is really good aswell..
    Dr Judy Morgan DMV is good to follow on f/b, look at her Video’s “Pancreatitis Diet” & “IBD Diet” easy to make balanced meals, then freeze some small meal & have the vet diets stews for his other meals…
    I feed 4-5 meals a day with Patch, smaller meals is easier to digest & less work on the Pancreas also these I/D vet diets are for Urinary health problems aswell, I’d email Hills & have a Vet Nutritionist call you back, they will be able to help you with which vet formula will be best for your little man health problems, then tell your vet Hills said blar blar vet diet is best to feed for now… the I/d stews have better ingredients & are made for dogs who don’t want to eat..

#128278 Report Abuse
    Dawn H

Hi all,
    I have a 9 year old dachshund mix (looks like a dachshund with longer legs and shorter ears, 15lbs) who had pancreatitis 2 years ago. Switched his food from royal canin dachshund (he ate this his whole life, just the puppy formula when he was a puppy) to hills i/d canned to get his spec cpl test back to normal. His amylase and lipase were never elevated. He never had vomiting despite his test being over 1000. He had stomach pain, inappetence, lethargy and just wasn’t himself. I also gave him boiled chicken and white rice. He’s not keen on the canned i/d. Probably one of the few dogs that doesn’t like canned food. Texture issue, maybe. His current food is wellness core grain free reduced fat kibble. I also add half a multivitamin with digestive enzymes at each meal. No idea if it helps any, but I don’t want to change anything since he’s doing well. He only gets charlee bear liver treats and old mother Hubbard classic crunchy natural puppy treats-mini dog biscuits. Both are low in fat. I use to give him dingo bones rawhide chews but those cause stomach issues now. I’ve tried the easier to digest bones that look like the dingo bones brand but those don’t agree with him either.
    He gets no other dog treats because even one snausages mini milk bone biscuit from a neighbor causes stomach issues. No people food except green beans, raw spinach and an occasional baby carrot.
    If you’d like an alternative to the RC, try the wellness core low fat. No prescription needed.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.