šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Y
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I have a 60lb, 8 yr old German Shepard/Kelpie mix that has recently developed loose/soft stools.
    He’d been on the same food for years with no issues, then suddenly his stools were very soft with mucus.
    The vet ruled out any infection and recommend Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High Fiber food, which he did great on! The vet said to just keep feeding that indefinitely, but it’s quite an expensive food and I’m not sure that I can afford it long term.

Does anyone have any recommendations on similar foods that are more affordable?
    Also, he is about 10lb over weight, so I don’t want a food that will cause any more weigh gain.

Thank you for your help!

#171934 Report Abuse
    Jacqueline H
    Participant

Same here! Staffie with colitus! Did you find one?

#171949 Report Abuse
    Ashley Y
    Participant

Unfortunately, I havenā€™t found any alternatives. Weā€™ve tried a few other foods but his gut doesnā€™t do very good and he doesnā€™t like eating them.
    When I bring back the Royal Canine he gets excited to eat and has good solid stools.
    I think Iā€™m just going to have to accept that he has expensive taste, haha.
    But if anyone finds a less expensive alternative Iā€™d love to give it a try.

#172042 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yep, itā€™s tough matching a Rx food. I know how expensive they are! I always try to remember, its probably cheaper than another vet visit!

Best wishes 🐶

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.