🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rebecka S

Hi. I have a 10 month old Tibetan Terrier mix who is recovering from gastroenteritis and pancreatitis. The vet has recommended putting her on a diet of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. I’m curious if anyone has any suggestions for a food that is similar in quality – low fat – good for pancreatitis – but isn’t $85 per bag.

#137706 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Quote: ” The vet has recommended putting her on a diet of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. ”

I would stay with the therapeutic diet at least till the dog has been stable for a few months, then consider diet changes if your vet approves. I know of no commercial product that would compare.

I wouldn’t do home cooked unless under the guidance of a veterinary nutritionist and I suspect it would be expensive.

Hope this helps: excerpt from http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2016/07/more-nonsense-from-holistic-vets-about-commercial-therapeutic-diets/

Regarding price, good companies invest in research, that goes into designing the food, sometimes funding basic research that would further our knowledge on particular diseases (without an immediate product to market and sell) plus trials in healthy and diseased pets, etc. So, I understand why a veterinary diet from a responsible company costs more money, not because the ingredients are more expensive, but due to the knowledge invested behind it.

#137713 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I would do what the vet recommended. If you still want to find another food please make sure you show the vet and ask him about it. Because this condition needs special care. Hope the best! Just curious what were you feeding?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by joanne l.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.